Forum

Chatting 2020

4 years 2 months ago #80854 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Chatting 2020
To repeat Buc’s earlier comment.... many good posts in this thread..

I can see this being kept alive well into the year....

Totally agree.... this year has to be used to develop depth at

Quarterback..... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #80855 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Chatting 2020
Spent some time thinking about Kirby Smart, Nick Saban and the coaching game.

It has often been said that Kirby is the spitting image of Nick when it comes to running his college football program. Looking back at the time when Nick and Kirby were together, know that there were a lot of exchanges and hard earned skills/changes involved between the two.

Saban had a game plan that worked for many years, believe most of us can agree that Saban was run first, run often, beat the opposition into submission. He did that with Georgia more than once. Kirby departed Tuscaloosa and along with that departure he brought much of what he had shared with Saban.

With the signing of Jamie Newman, leads me to believe that Smart has again followed the lead of Saban. Nick got away from the way he won several titles both SEC and Nationally, moved on to the wave of the future, put the ball in the air more often, and did it well.

Smart having witnessed the changes, appears to have decided to make hay while the sun shines. Good move. Again seems to follow in the footsteps of his mentor. Actually Smart moved quicker than Saban did to this new high powered offense, but that should be expected, many teams across the country, both college and pro are doing the same. Jamie Newman in Athens, lays the ground work for the 2020 Season and a much anticipated meeting with Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Make no bones about what is going on, Jamie Newman will be the starting quarterback for Georgia in 2020. There will be those young pups that will work their backsides off the entire year, but there is no doubt as to who will run the Georgia offense.

A question that I have is why would Jamie Newman choose Georgia to play his last year of college eligibility. This is not a system that has allowed it’s quarterbacks any or very little movement outside of the pocket. Me thinks that the message was sent and received by Jamie Newman that Georgia is ready for “change”. Otherwise Newman is putting his cleats in the ground elsewhere.

With a strong defense, which we have, a mobile quarterback that is “allowed” to tuck and run or have plays that are designed specifically for him to run, gives Nick Saban something else to think about. 2020 might remind some of Fran Tarkenton days in Athens, and the pros.

Going to be a lot to talk about in 2020. Myself, just trying to “adjust” and sometimes that takes “time”.

Coach’em Up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 2 months ago #80856 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Chatting 2020
Thoughtful post Buc.... made my coffee extra enjoyable this

Sunday morning.....after a heavy rain storm all yesterday afternoon

And into the evening... Bright sunshine is the order of the day..

Much gloom and doom has been replaced with cautious optimism.

Spot on... much more discussion to follow..

Honest question.... will we be better with Jamie at QB....

Everyone of the teams on our schedule this year are asking the

same Question...... six plus months to teach and learn a different

offense.. off season has taken on a new dynamic in Athens...

Really curious who HC hires as a on-field assistant ....

Only two college teams left playing.....hmmmmm

Much more to follow..... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
4 years 2 months ago #80857 by Buc
yankeedawg1, with the addition of a "differently gifted" quarterback in several ways, it will now allow us (FANS) to decide just who is calling our offensive game. All offenses whether they are called "runners" or "passers" ultimately show the hand of the offensive coordinator(s) or the head coach. What will be the answer to offensive game planning in 2020, guess I have to break out the popcorn and watch.

LSU took the path of hiring a coach with a different approach to offensive football, paid dividends in 2019, landed them in the Finals. That was a case of their head coach understanding the past efforts had not proven to be fruitful. Believe that coaching decision by Orgeron was masterful. He not only found "lightening in a bottle" once . . . . he found "lightening in a bottle" twice. Offensive coach and quarterback from different places in their lives. Something magical happened . . . . the two came together.

There will be little room for error in 2020. Alabama September 19th in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. That particular game will have every media outlet flowing with their thoughts, blogs the same. For a long time now or at least since Kirby Smart's arrival, our FAN base has been loudly saying that we feel we have either closed the gap between the two teams or . . . . have reached Alabama's level. I will say this . . . . anyone that thinks that Nick Saban is not spending his time preparing for 2020 differently than many, might not realize just how Nick Saban operates.

Allow me this . . . .

With the receiving corps that I know exists in Athens, a solid running back group, what appears to be a very good offensive line, will not take a lot of changes in schemes in 2020. The coach(s) and players will have many practices both NCAA approved, and free time practice much like Aaron Murray and Jake Fromm did between Spring and Fall. I am sold on three wide receivers, one tight end and one running back for a large portion of the play calls. Presence of Jamie Newman almost rules out the need for a second tight end for blocking purposes. Using two tight ends will on occasion make the opposition line up and "wonder". That is the beauty of offensive football.

Just thinking out loud again.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #80858 by Buc
Interesting conversation with Dave Aranda.

Every team has injuries throughout the year, especially in the SEC. I just wonder what "might" have happened if both Cager and Blaylock along with George Pickens were on the field at the same time. Injuries did not help us, especially in the game with LSU. Jake did not have a lot of choices.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 2 months ago #80859 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Chatting 2020

Buc wrote: Spent some time thinking about Kirby Smart, Nick Saban and the coaching game.

It has often been said that Kirby is the spitting image of Nick when it comes to running his college football program. Looking back at the time when Nick and Kirby were together, know that there were a lot of exchanges and hard earned skills/changes involved between the two.

Saban had a game plan that worked for many years, believe most of us can agree that Saban was run first, run often, beat the opposition into submission. He did that with Georgia more than once. Kirby departed Tuscaloosa and along with that departure he brought much of what he had shared with Saban.

With the signing of Jamie Newman, leads me to believe that Smart has again followed the lead of Saban. Nick got away from the way he won several titles both SEC and Nationally, moved on to the wave of the future, put the ball in the air more often, and did it well.

Smart having witnessed the changes, appears to have decided to make hay while the sun shines. Good move. Again seems to follow in the footsteps of his mentor. Actually Smart moved quicker than Saban did to this new high powered offense, but that should be expected, many teams across the country, both college and pro are doing the same. Jamie Newman in Athens, lays the ground work for the 2020 Season and a much anticipated meeting with Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Make no bones about what is going on, Jamie Newman will be the starting quarterback for Georgia in 2020. There will be those young pups that will work their backsides off the entire year, but there is no doubt as to who will run the Georgia offense.

A question that I have is why would Jamie Newman choose Georgia to play his last year of college eligibility. This is not a system that has allowed it’s quarterbacks any or very little movement outside of the pocket. Me thinks that the message was sent and received by Jamie Newman that Georgia is ready for “change”. Otherwise Newman is putting his cleats in the ground elsewhere.

With a strong defense, which we have, a mobile quarterback that is “allowed” to tuck and run or have plays that are designed specifically for him to run, gives Nick Saban something else to think about. 2020 might remind some of Fran Tarkenton days in Athens, and the pros.

Going to be a lot to talk about in 2020. Myself, just trying to “adjust” and sometimes that takes “time”.

Coach’em Up!

I have mad respect for your opinions, Buc... but I'm going to wait and see it first before I would definitively say some of the same things you have said.

Until I see this change fron Smart, I'm not going to say he has adapted, changed, or did anything as quick as Saban. If I'm not mistaken, Saban's offensive evolution came with changes in OC. From Applewhite to McElwain, to Nussmeier, to Kiffin, to Sarkisian for 1 game, to Brian Daboll, to Mike Loksley, back to Sarkisian for a full year.. So much for the absolute need for continuity as he changes OC's as much as changes his underwear.

I also wouldn't assume Newman just puts his cleats elsewhere unless he was promised a change with out offense. There was not really a higher profile available job than the one at UGA. He could have been sold on his need to develop more as a pocket passer and knows that's what we do here... and was told that was what we would do for him. We certainly have a knack for producing NFL caliber players with our system.

Now maybe he will be great solely because he is a more natural runner and might more readily leave the pocket when receivers are covered, but that does not equate to fundamental change in the Smart doctrine.

Now much of what you suggest certainly CAN be true, but I don't think its so obvious as to make me want to bet on it.

I'll wait and see.

Go Dawgs.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds