Forum

Chatting 2020

4 years 2 months ago #80827 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Chatting 2020
With Leach coming in at MSU that will be another high powered offense. Kirby has to make some changes to keep up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #80829 by SimpleDawg
Replied by SimpleDawg on topic Chatting 2020
I was surprised and disappointed to hear that Jake opted to go pro. I really thought another year, with more talent at WR, would've greatly improved his stock for next year's draft. I guess he was just ready to go, and didn't really want to come back for another run at the Natty. It's a shame.....

On the other hand, Carson Beck has a clear path to grab ahold of the reins and lead this team to new heights.....not very likely for a true freshman QB, but we've seen that very scenario play out before.

Would really like to see Mathis get his feet under him and be a factor in the QB battle..... I believe he has the physical tools to develop into an outstanding QB. And, as we've all seen, you can't have too much talent at QB.

A top notch transfer QB to come in and add experience & talent to the competition would be a big boost.... Newman from WF might be the guy to get the RPO phase started.

Whoever ends up being the QB will have a solid group of skill players around him....Milton, McIntosh, and Zeus should be a strong backfield. WRs will be improved, and the big stud at TE will be easy to find. With proper body control and positioning, he won't be covered even when he's covered.

And then there's that defense..... If the Dawgs can find 5-6 really stout DL to rotate, the rest of the defense will be heartbreakers and soul takers.

But, all the talent in the world gets stagnant without proper coaching to cultivate, motivate, and to enhance their skills. I sure hope Coley is the right guy to build and lead the offense, because if he's not.....we've wasted a lot of time and opportunities. Hopefully this has been a process of evolution through trial by fire. It's time for the equation to reveal the answers.

The Mays mess somehow seems to be a blessing in disguise for the team....not sure why I feel that way, but I do.
C'est la Vie....

One more thing.....don't sleep on the basketball team. By the end of the season, they're going to be a hand-full for every team they play.

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #80831 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Chatting 2020
Believe that Smart and Coley come from different coaching philosophies, meaning of course . . . . offense. ACC has always been more open to the passing game, me thinks. SEC, especially the universities that regularly display winning seasons lean more to the run. Everyone knows that a "balanced attack" is the way to go, that however is not an easy road to travel many times. If Smart and Coley do not for some reason have a meeting of the minds, there is but one way to go and all of us know where that leads.

Remember bringing in a quarterback from Virginia when Richt and Bobo were running the offense. Young man from Georgia did not quite get the job done when he transferred to Athens. There was a lot of "smoke" about arm strength, height and so forth. Many times the "media guides" are not the best source(s) for improving a football team.

We don't have a lot of time to get some reasonable expectations from the quarterback position in 2020, Alabama looms large, quickly.

Again, happy for Jake. He as mentioned above by SimpleDawg had a very good 3 year run in the SEC. Time and maybe other "things" prevented a Natty. Leadership at the QB position is paramount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
4 years 2 months ago #80833 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Chatting 2020
I don't know what to say about our offense, because we keep our cards so close to the vest. I don't known if my issues can be put on Cooley or if it's Kirby's iron thumb governing our output. As I stated elsewhere, even when deeper at WR we came up short in critical moments and many of us here talked much about our refusal to open up the playbook.

We didn't do well when we had to throw, but look deeper. Maybe we had to throw a lot of incomplete passes because we had no ability to have our QB pull the ball down and create something with his legs. I wonder how many rushing attempts for Clemson, LSU, OK, and OSU began as passing attempts that turned to runs when the QB's saw man coverage and the second level of defense running away with their backs turned.

We definitely had to throw sometimes because we were not able to assert our running game despite PFF grading our line out as top 3 in the nation and 1st round RB talent. Maybe opponents were able to shut our run game down at times because we ran out of a read option look with no threat of the QB pulling the ball out and getting outside of that crashing DE. (Remember how Florida stopped us 2 years ago on 7 attempts at the goal line because of that very thing?).

So we can blame the lack of WR depth this year, but we struggled in crucial moments in prior years at well with enough talent on the team to build half of a NFL starting offense.

Sure.. I get it and we all get it that we need to run, but concepts have changed and I don't think we have.

If we don't, we will find ourselves here every year... never getting over that hump.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
4 years 2 months ago #80834 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Chatting 2020
It is being reported Newman is enrolled at UGA. I like the option of having a QB that can run well. The traditional drop back passer may be going extinct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
4 years 2 months ago #80835 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Chatting 2020
Having a true RPO......QB .... will bring a different picture to our

Offense.... yes questions will come up...will Kirby let him run

Or will he have a leash put on him....time will tell ..

CMR ..... Jamie will be the best QB in the SEC this season..

Interesting.... more to ponder .... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds