Forum

Cowboys coming to Athens

17 years 1 month ago #4058 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Cowboys coming to Athens
kentdaddy, you're killing me again, \"his days in flag football\"....priceless !!

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #4059 by RxCowboy
Replied by RxCowboy on topic Re:Cowboys coming to Athens
If you're going to argue about championships, then you're actually defeating yourself. Walker played on great teams. Sanders didn't. Sanders did what he did on a mediocre team. Georgia was championship caliber before Herschel got there and was championship caliber after he left. Oklahoma State was a disaster after Sanders left.

Which is better, 5.3 on a great team, or 7.6 on a mediocre one. There simply is no comparison.

As far as comparing the SEC and Big 8 or SWC (Oklahoma State didn't play in the SWC... you guys really need to take football 101). SEC has its celler dwellers, too. Or were Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina power houses back in those days?

Herschel was great. The Bulldog fan in me loves him and I want to take nothing away from him. But please... Sanders was simply the best of all time. College or pro.

GATA! Woof!

• RxCowboy
  • RxCowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 1 month ago #4060 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re:Cowboys coming to Athens
We don't need to take football 101, all of those conferences are forgetable, especially 20+ years ago. And BTW, UGA wasn't considered a powerhouse back then, you probably weren't even born back then or was a small child at that time.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 1 month ago #4061 by RxCowboy
Chamionships since 1970:

Big 8/12: 11
SEC: 9

Yeah, that's pretty forgettable.

No, really, c'mon down to Albany. I'll teach you a little about football.
Or I'll be in Athens next Tues, Wed, Thur to teach. Meet me there and I'll buy the pizza.

Weren't born back then? That's a laugh. The grey in my beard is standing up as I chuckle.

To respond to another post... yes, it's true that Oklahoma State's football history is one of mediocrity. No doubt about that. Oklahoma State has invested much more into it's basketball, wrestling and baseball programs. We hold 34 national championships in wrestling. Oklahoma State is Wrestling U. I hope that never changes. But I think the culture that has accept mediocrity in football is changing.

Wrestling is a growing sport here in Georgia. I would really love to see Georgia or GTech get a wrestling program. But given that there are a few schools in the ACC that wrestle and none in the SEC, it probably makes more sense for GTech to start one.

GATA! Woof!

• RxCowboy
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 1 month ago #4062 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re:Cowboys coming to Athens
Barry Sanders did play flag football. I heard an interview with him stating that was why he ran as he did. His goal was to never let anyone even touch him.

I love the titles since 1970 stat. Why 1970? That is very arbitrary and it neatly excludes some great teams to support your argument. Bama was a pwoerhouse in the 60s and Ga. Tech (yes Ga. Tech) was a power house in the 50s and 40s. Tech did not leave the SEC until the early 60s.

Nearly all the Big 8 titles were Nebraska and Oklahoma in their heyday. Those are two great teams historically. Barry Sanders was great but he cannot be in the argument for greatest of all time in college if he could not put Thurman Thomas on the bench. He had the greatest season ever, but poll after poll and story after story rank Herschel either #1 or #2 all time. He is occasionally ranked behind Red Grange.

I have compiled a spreadsheet of all time victories for every team in D I history. I also have all time bowl records but I need to update it. I cna tell who came and went into each conference as well. If anyone want s to see it I can e-mail it.

More
17 years 1 month ago #4063 by RxCowboy
1970 was entirely arbitrary, but I chose it because that was when I started following college football.

If you want to declare that most of those championships were won by Oklahoma and Nebraska (and Texas won a couple) then we have to look at home many of those in the SEC were won by Alabama and Florida. It is an entirely fair comparison.

But let me apologize for the football 101 thing and call a truce. I *am* a Bulldog fan, and an employee of UGA, and I don't want to start a war with fellow Bulldog fans. After the Oklahoma State game - which I think the Dawgs are going to win (Pokes aren't ready yet to beat a team like Georgia on the road) - I will be nothing BUT a Bulldog fan in this forum. So, please accept my apology and let's please call a truce.

Please do e-mail me your spreadsheet. Do I need to post my e-mail addy?

GATA! Woof!

• RxCowboy
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.033 seconds