Forum

THIS and THAT . . . .

7 years 3 months ago #76096 by rockdawg
Replied by rockdawg on topic THIS and THAT . . . .
Another problem solved by CKS is aggressively filling slots on the team. How many years did CMR have a few scholarships waving in the wind due to low recruiting numbers and no apparent plan to make last minute adjustments? Now we are bumping limits, while wondering which studs we can squeeze in.

Another positive change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #76097 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic THIS and THAT . . . .

Wartdawg wrote: No disrespect to anyone but we say stars don't mean this and that and then we talk about how great our recruiting class is based on stars.

We're all giddy about this class, why?

Truth

Wartdawg have found it useful to "watch film/video". At that point it cuts out some of the "stuff" that is generated by the media and PR departments around every conference. Myself, probably spend as much time watching these young men on Hudl, 24/7, Rivals, and others as I do on Dawgs.com, and that as most know is a lot.

To answer your question as to "why"?, and telling the "Truth" as I see it. The group that is being recruited in 2017 is the best "overall" group that I have watched find their way to Athens. How long is that, "truthfully", since the 1950's.

Would respectfully say that we're "all" giddy about this class, why? Some of us see talent as another poster in this thread said . . . . At least there has been a plug in the dike. Whether or not some beat others out of a position, that is an opinion. Anyone that played the game or coached the game understands one thing . . . . Good coaches keep their eyes and ears open both on the field and off, regardless of the level being played.

Nick Saban and others sure as hell loved coming into Atlanta and the surrounding area and leaving successfully with "Star Talent" that helped lead the way to National Championships. There are folks on Monday night that left high school football in Georgia and signed on with Saban and his "process".

One example . . . .

www.scout.com/college/alabama/story/1535...not-one-to-mess-with
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #76099 by Buc
Jake Fromm now residing in Athens.

Little doubt that we now have two (2) young men that will be our quarterback(s) for sometime to come.

Do not believe that Jake came to Athens to redshirt. Does not fit his DNA.

Jake much more comfortable under center than Jacob. That goes back to where and how both young men were trained. (High School).

The deciding factor in the quarterback battle, and there will be one will be decided by the one that handles the position the best in Spring, G-Day Game and Fall. Takes me back to coaching. Do we have the best Offensive Coordinator at this point to make the “best decision”. Base that solely on taking a long, hard look at our Offensive Coordinators past years.

Realize that it has been often said that we should have used our tight ends more, agree with that to a point. Look at 2016 film and see how man times the other guys had 9 and sometimes more players in the box. What was the answer to that? Did not give Jacob a lot of time to read the defense. Some like to say when posting that a quarterback has to be able to “read” and go through progressions. Agree, except that ain’t happening when 6 and 7 man fronts are bearing down on a offensive line that could not keep pace.

2017 we are “hoping” brings improvement on the offensive line. This will not only be a deciding factor for the two young quarterbacks, it will definitely sit squarely on Coach Jim Chaney’s shoulders to make things happen.

Sometimes it takes a change in coaches to reach new heights. Falcon fans should understand that well. Not that many player changes, just a simple coaching change that understood how to use personnel. For those on the Falcon Board, sure have seen many, and I mean many posters do a 180 degree flip. Year ago it was one of the nastiest boards ever. This year . . . . all :) :) :) :)

Say again, Kirby Smart is not leaving UGA. Some coaches probably will, and some that want Smart’s scalp now . . . . we will see a repeat of the Falcon Board. Yes, "Bleeding Hearts".

Finally have competition in Athens at positions that were either overlooked or . . . . coaches favorites. Yes the previous UGA head coach and some of the coaches had "favorites". Really don't need to name names, right?

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 3 months ago #76101 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic THIS and THAT . . . .
There were 9 in the box a lot and that did force us to keep TE's in, but it seems to me there was a lot of the defense dictating to us how we would play.

We ran Eason a fair amount out of the shotgun, but how many times did we truly run the spread and force the D to space out those 9 in the box? How many times did we do that and then have hot reads that meant Eason didn't have to make complex reads or have a lot of time to do something?

I'll answer... not enough.

How many times did we see Eason operate effectively in the pistol but have Chaney revert back to what was NOT working?

I'll answer... too much.

How many times did we see Eason not necessarily
roll out, but did we roll the pocket to one side or another? How many times did we let Eason only read one half of the field.

I'll answer again... not enough.

We've got to do better putting our young men in a position to succeed, and we failed often at that on offense this season.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #76102 by Buc
There were 9 in the box a lot and that did force us to keep TE's in, but it seems to me there was a lot of the defense dictating to us how we would play.

Spot on.

Nick Chubb and Sony Michel laid it out for Jim Chaney. If the players see what they believe to be the wrong approach and are man enough to go face to face with their coach, speaks volumes about the players.

There will be some offensive line help coming in 2017. Run blocking skills of some headed our way are not that much different than what they faced in some of the better high school programs they lined up against.

Serious mistake by Jim Chaney in trying to change the way Jacob Eason would play the position in college. Eason had played against nothing close to what he lined up against in the SEC. Comfort is a mainstay for any quarterback at any level of football. Jacob Eason has an arm, Eason is tough as nails. Eason said after our last game in 2016 . . . . I knew all along that I could run with the football. Apparently his quarterback coach, Jim Chaney did not know that. Communication can be a beautiful thing. Chubb and Michel knew how to communicate, maybe that was a lesson learned by Jacob Eason, hope so and would bet 2017 we see a different Eason.

Jacob Eason got his feet wet. Remember well AM being handled by two coaches, both head coaches today. They were in my opinion anything but teachers, if they had been, the game in Atlanta against Alabama could have had a different outcome. While AM was not on the same level as Watson of Clemson, AM had wheels, and they were not average wheels. Clemson had Alabama against the ropes last game they played.

Jacob Coker stepped up after many thought he would never be the #1 quarterback at Alabama. Came out of high school one of the top rated quarterbacks in the nation. FSU was nothing more than a pit stop. Appeared that way when he arrived at Alabama, but something happened . . . . Coker proved to his teammates that he was the player needed to move the program forward. I pulled hard for Jacob Coker, pulling hard for Jacob Eason. Just too often that coaches and programs do not understand how to "communicate". Jacob Eason will communicate in 2017. At some point there will be a lot of chatter about Eason and Fromm. From where I sit, that is good for our program. Means to me that we have the position in much better shape than it has been, off and on for many years, and yes again even before Mark Richt.

Eason gets the little bit of extra time needed in the pocket, the difference between Eason 2016 and Eason 2017 will be totally different. More to playing SEC football than having a golden arm. Jacob Eason knows more about that now than when he arrived. Happy to have two very talented quarterbacks wearing the Red and Black. When was the last time we could even come close to saying that?

Hope that Coach Chaney was in a "funk" in 2016. 2017 will answer that.

Allow me this defensive statement(s). yankeedawg1 mentioned the turnaround that #7 Carter made in 2016. Truth if ever it has been told. Remember this? Jeremy Pruitt left Carter watching from the sideline. Did that have anything to do with the way Carter played in 2016? Damn right it did, takes some longer than others to rid themselves of the BMOC tag they wear coming out of high school. Proud to say that Carter is coming back, do not care how he was rated by the NFL, know that he will be lights out in 2017, along with many others like #3 Roquan Smith. Predicting that our defense is going to be special, hard to miss on that statement.

Good read Wartdawg.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 3 months ago #76104 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic THIS and THAT . . . .
Been enjoying a quite Sunday afternoon.....

CJP...fingerprints all over our program leaving many positive factors....heading to Bama..and play for a NC

CKS...comes home....our defense continues to improve ....least not forget CMT.....

Truly there is a great deal of the same coaching DNA shared with both coaches....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds