Forum

GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75311 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
Buc,

Spot on comments.

You know, I've been really hesitant to get involved in this conversation because I'm tired of sounding like a broken record. I also am stunned at some of the personal attacks on here towards our coaching staff this week and was simply uninspired to jump into a conversation of that nature. I'm not saying anymore about that.

I guess this comes after a week of hearing how incompetent our coaching staff is, how Kirby's hire was a mistake and how certain people never believed in the hire, how impossible it is that we lose to Vandy at home, how the honeymoon period is over, how Jim Chaney's hire was obviously the wrong one - further reflecting Kirby's buffoonery, how CMR wouldn't have us in this position, how we're tired of hearing Kirby hide behind blaming "the kids" for his ineptitudes as a coach, yada yada yada, that it's just time that Bulldog nation burn the fan memorabilia and turn off the TV on Saturdays until the next hire because this entire staff is going to make a mockery of Georgia and run us into the ground before being fired in two more seasons. We're sunk. Does that about sum it up?

Well, let me say it unequivocally that I stand 100% the CMR fire, the Kirby Smart hire and his vision for Georgia football.

I don't give a damn about first season woes. There is so much flux and learning curve of a new coaching system being installed that it is predictable that there are going to be serious problems. I expected this and I called this before the season started in the "tempered expectations" thread. Everyone I've been talking to back home points to Coach Mac and what he did in his first year at FU. For every Coach Mac who was a first year wonder, there are a thousand coaches you've never heard of who had appalling first seasons. Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe (at home) and Mississippi State in his first season at the helm before going 7-6 and barely beating Colorado in the Independence Bowl. (I only use the Saban reference since we tie Kirby to CNS). I'd be interested to go back and read Bama forums in 2007 and see if they were calling Saban a bad hire.

Whatever the final outcome of this season ends up at, this type of season was a real possibility and I accepted it before the toe met the leather in September.

I want to address one thing though - this stuff about being tired of Kirby hiding "behind the kids." I will be the first to tell you that I didn't think these last two games were coached very well at all. At some points of the game, that's an understatement. Yes, blame does get laid at Kirby's feet for much of this. But let me say this: with the talent that we have on this team on any given year, if these guys can't go out there and on sheer willpower alone - absent coaching - and beat Nicholls State or Vandy handily, then there damned sure IS a problem with "the kids." I'm not in the business of calling the suspects by name, we know who they are, but yeah - there is a problem. And I'll take hearing Kirby publicly denounce the effort and the discipline of his players over horse ---- coach speak where we all feel good about ourselves and we just gotta go back to work, work our tails off, watch film, and finish the drill. This isn't "hiding" behind "kids" to cover up anything. Kirby has just as publicly admitted his fault in these games, and always before he lays into "the kids."

The honeymoon period for CKS in my mind began with his hire announcement and ended after the NC win. Not because the next week was so dismal, but I think the first game of a new head coach consummates his marriage to the team, regardless of what happens. After that, then reality sets in and it's time to work on the marriage.

If in another two seasons we're facing the same troubles we are now with little to no improvement in fundamental areas, then I'll be right there saying it's time for him to go. I'm a football realist, not a romantic.

True story. Company I worked for elects a new president and he begins assembling his staff. Company is suffering from stagnation, standing on the threshold of going from somewhat successful medium sized firm to a very successful large firm with a sizable market share in the US. Half of the people (the older group) were happy, and half the people (us younger folk) were unhappy with what the company was achieving vs. what it could achieve. We knew the talent and abilities we had on staff to do much bigger things.

First thing new president does is summarily fire the entire accounting staff, many of whom had been there for 17+ years and had many deep friendships. Employees were angry and began questioning his leadership. Water cooler talk abounded. President brought in outside accounting consultants to mop up the mess that the friends of those who were fired never saw or never admitted was there. During his first year, some serious project mistakes were made costing us one seriously large multi-million dollar client. He called us all together and admitted mistakes, told us that we were at fault as a company, implemented public steps to correct his and our mistakes, and gave it time to work. By the end of that year, he brought in new clients totaling more revenue than the large client that we had lost. At the end of his second year, we had a revenue growth of 17.4%, had grown from a medium sized firm to one that was expanding with 4 offices in the mid west and southeast, and a firm doing work on 4 continents with international clients. At the end of the second year, we all walked in to fat profit sharing checks sitting on our desks the likes of which we had never seen.

I am quite sure that if coaching staff changes need to be made after this season, Kirby will make them. I'm willing to give this time to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, rockdawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #75312 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
Richt had to go.

Hiring Smart was a mistake due to his inexperience. Not Smarts fault but the AD's and the money people at BM. AD should be fired like right now

Money should of been put on the table for a HC with experience, when S Cal. Job was filled UGA job became the top one in the country. There was interest by many of the top coaches to come to UGA.

Was for the hire of Smart but to show NO improvement 7 games in something is wrong and it begins at the top. Did not expect a miracle but did expect improvement and have been sorely disappointed.

WE SHOULD NEVER EVER LOSE TO VANDY EVER.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, SouthernDawg

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75313 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
Sometimes I mention on this board that I have a "vault" that I keep certain posts and points from Dawgs.com.

Brother your post is in my vault.

You mention Coach Nick Saban and the year 2007.

I can reflect on what was being said by some in Alabama about Saban's 7/6 record. He had left the Miami Dolphins and pp'd many in South Florida off, as you know well.

Those that were screaming for his scalp soon became his largest supporter. Funny how that works, eh . . . .

Supported or tried to support Richt on this board not once but twice. Got my butt kicked from pillar to post. When I realized that I was wrong, jumped in with both feet and did not let up.

Smart and Company have my undivided attention for at least two years. I am not sure we will reach the heights that many posters seem to think possible in two years. It is not like other teams both in the SEC and other conferences are going to lay down for UGA. Not going to happen. As long as Coach Saban remains in Tuscaloosa, talent will continue to play for "him".

Will add this . . . . Coach Pruitt took over Coach Smart's job in Tuscaloosa, anyone believe that he walked into an empty cupboard . . . . Coach Smart walked into that "empty cupboard" . . . . FACT.

Coach Smart will do things his way, that is in his DNA. After looking at the players he was going to coach in his first year in Athens, man did one thing and I am positive it pp'd some of the players off . . . . he "openly" said there is much that needs to be done here.

Lastly. Anyone doubt that if Kirby Smart remained as the defensive coordinator in Tuscaloosa rather than taking his new job that their team would be any different than they are at this point? Anyone that believes that, check the recruiting that Coach Smart did while there and the players on defense that are playing now because they wanted to play for Kirby, and of course Saban.

Good read SouthernDawg. Might not suit all, but that is why we have a board that allows point and counter point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthernDawg

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75314 by SouthernDawg
Buc,

Yep. Remember the Miami to Alabama transition quite well. A dear friend of mine is a die hard Dolphin and he was fit to be tied.

Look, I supported Richt too. I supported him until it became obvious that things weren't working. To this day, I have a former dawg buddy back home with whom I had a falling out in 2013 when I said Richt needed to go. We haven't talked in probably two and a half years because I jumped off the Richt support train and he lost it. For the record, I hear he's also calling Kirby Smart a piece of trash on his Facebook page.

Yes, Kirby did telegraph quite openly the state of things in our program. Been said many times that for his system (which you rightly say he's not backing away from because its in his DNA), this team has a world of problems. I do readily state that it is his job to coach em up and do the best he can with them. But if a man who just came off multiple national championships and is the most authentic protege of what is sure to be the greatest coach in college football when he's done says that we don't have the talent, the depth or the size to win in the SEC under his system, you can take it to the bank.

About those bare cupboards you're not supposed to talk about...

Remember this comment in the spring, when asked about how he feels about the place kicker position?

Scared to death is what it is.

Well, now we see what he saw playing on the field this year. He just called it in advance.

Remember when he was asked in the spring about this defensive line and the secondary?

“Right now, I’m praying,” Smart responded to a direct question about his defensive line and linebackers. “To be honest with you, I’m scared. The one thing that is misleading is just how good the secondary was last year. One of the things that makes a pass defense so good is a good pass rush, which we had last year.”

Well, now we see what he saw playing on the field this year. He just called it in advance.

Remember when he was asked about his offensive line in the summer?

I'm losing sleep at night over this offensive line. I look out there and we need size and depth and right now we just don't have it. I'm terrified at what I see on the line right now. We've got to figure out a way to get these guys where they need to be.

Kirby may well turn out to be a flop. But I'm not judging that after one season, even with a Vandy loss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, growl

More
7 years 6 months ago #75315 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
"how Jim Chaney's hire was obviously the wrong one - further reflecting Kirby's buffoonery"

Just to be clear... I have been harsh on Chaney, but I have never called Kirby a
buffoon because of it. A guy can do 9 things well and make one mistake and
he's still earning an A.

I have not been impressed with Chaney, and yes I have taken into consideration
the depth and personnel issues.

I'll stand by my opinion.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm, SouthernDawg

More
7 years 6 months ago #75316 by SouthernDawg

Wartdawg wrote: Just to be clear... I have been harsh on Chaney, but I have never called Kirby a
buffoon because of it. A guy can do 9 things well and make one mistake and
he's still earning an A.

I have not been impressed with Chaney, and yes I have taken into consideration
the depth and personnel issues.

I'll stand by my opinion.

Wartdawg,

I apologize if I came across like I was putting words in your mouth. I know you didn't call Kirby a buffoon. However, I have heard it by other people and I just associated it with this thread.

I can say that my opinion on Chaney was that he wasn't the marquee hire for the position, but I think played tactically into the Jacob Eason recruiting saga. This article indicates the same thought:

www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/to...m-chaney-will-be-key

I was nowhere near as stoked about Chaney as I was/am Sam Pittman.

If this keeps up, I do not see his tenure at UGA being a lengthy one.

Again, my apologies for misdirected/misworded comments if they were that way.

More
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds