Forum

GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75278 by BullDawg2010
Replied by BullDawg2010 on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA

Wartdawg wrote:

BulldogShannon wrote: gotta disagree wartdawg. It doesn't matter who is running the ball...

Disagree? So you would have chosen to run the 159lb guy on 4th and 1 when our line couldn't block all day? You think that was the best call?

So regardless of what you think the result would have been even if Chubb was running.. you think the best decision was to run IMac? Using your fast guy theory (in traffic where his speed is negated), you think the 159lb guy was a better choice than lets say... Sony?

So.. disagree... and apparently as you see it, no runner we had could have picked it up... you think running the ball was the best decision over maybe a pass play... or maybe rolling our Eason and giving him a run pass option? I mean if no running back we had was going to be capable of picking up a yard on that play, then call me crazy... but maybe that wasn't a good play.

Saban's first year... I remember that.. they beat Vanderbilt. Saban had also inherited a 6-6 team from the previous season and dare I say they were even further away than UGA is. While they did have an inexplicable loss to UL-Monroe.. they had lost 5 players to NCAA suspension 3 weeks prior.

They also had one of the youngest OC's in D-1.. Major Applewhite, in only his 2nd year having served only 1 prior season as OC at Rice. It wasn't some seasoned veteran who was supposedly some well known guru of O.

Anyway... this isn't about Kirby for me.. so Saban comparisons don't really mean anything. Who I am railing on is Jim Chaney.. and he's been awful most of the season and was especially awful this Saturday.

Back to that Saban comparison though.. remember how I said his OC for that season was a fairly unproven Major Applewhite? Well guess who wasn't his OC in 2008; Major Applewhite.

So yes lets compare Kirby year 1 to Saban year 1... then we'll see who Kirby has as OC for year 2 as we keep the comparison going.

Yeah people tend to forget that In Sabans first year, Alabama was still going through some pretty harsh NCAA sanctions.

But I really do believe Kirby will get us there, just needs to be really strict about Job performances.

Chaney has gotten an F from me 7 games into the season.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #75279 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
A HUGE F

pardon the pun

After an entire season of bad playcalling he reached deep down into the bag of bad play calls to grab the very worst one on the most critical play against Vanderbilt.

...and I'm sorry, but I will never forget that shot of him on the sideline laughing as his team was losing to Vanderbilt.

I'm more than willing to admit that UGA football causes a visceral response with me and as it stands right now, Chaney can take the first bus out of town and whatever coaches that want to leave with him are welcome to tote his bags.

I know we have issues with our line, but they are not lose to Vandy at home sort of issues. At the moment I am going to have a sharp and pointed response to any excuse offered for Chaney and his abysmal game calling. When he was hired I didn't understand it all, but I didn't publically question it as I wanted to give the new regime the benefit of the doubt.

My mistake, but its not going to stop me from saying what I think of him now. There are entire packages of things you can do with a young QB who hasn't learned to read D's. There are a lot of things you can do to deal with a weak O-line. I've seen none of those things. Where is the screen pass in our arsenal? Non-existant apparently.

Chaney in his infinite offensive wisdom has one solution for this teams shortcomings. Give the ball to IMac. That's the only answer he's had all season and without IMac we're probably 2-5...IF that.

So Saturday... losing to Vanderbilt... at home... 4th and 1 with the game on the line and a line that hasn't blocked all day... Oh Chuckles McGee reaches into his bag and comes up with "hand the ball to the 159lb guy"

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadlerdawg, BullDawg2010

More
7 years 6 months ago #75280 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
Nothing wrong with having your opinion, and sure many will agree. I do not. The fact you can't control the line of scrimmage against nicholls st. and vandy is an area of concern. If we pack any punch on the inside lb, the play hits. Or if Chubb blocks anybody on that play, it hits. The ball pitched to McKenzie on the outside, we had 2 chances to pick up the mlb, and both whiffed. Sad part is there was a hole, the play was there. Same play has worked a couple times earlier this year. We do our jobs, we have the ball to a playmaker on the edge, and it would have hit if our 2 can block 1.

Kirby has the same mindset as Saban. We are going to pound the rock. I like the mindset, and I am sure that mindset has been made perfectly clear to Chaney. Chaney loves to throw the ball around the yard. Did it often with Bray at ut and brees at purdue. I am sure he would love to throw it 50 times a game with Eason, but that is not going to happen. Kirby wants a physical brand of football. I don't blame him. Your 2 best players are RB's.

As far as the laughing, I am not sure what it was. When I am frustrated to a point, I sometimes just laugh and think can this get any worse. Sarcastic laugh. Chaney was clearly frustrated. Believe he was caught on camera a couple of times, using some pretty stout language to get his point across.

I would like to see some screens as well, but then I think. Hell, we can't even block the guys right in front of us, what makes me think they would be able to hit a moving target.

GO DAWGS - I have been very hard on these coaches, but this is a gutless team. I didn't see any players taking over, getting in someone's face. As Kirby has said, leadership is an issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
7 years 6 months ago #75283 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
Spent some time looking at Vandy’s schedule . . . . some close scores with the exception of the link below.

GT is and has always been a running team under Paul Johnson.

For me it still goes back to having the right personnel on the offensive line. Our offensive line has been handled in previous years with nothing more than a casual glance. Even when Coach Will Friend worked what I thought to be miracles, he did not have the “freedom” that “I” believe was needed to move us forward. Does not surprise me that Mike Bobo asked Will Friend to accompany him to Colorado. Serious offensive line coaches are hard to find.

Coach Smart in my opinion has made a very good move hiring Coach Sam Pittman. Anyone watch the Ole Miss/Arkansas game? The players on that offensive line gave what I believe an example of what can be expected with some time with Sam Pittman doing his thing.

When I talk about Coach Sam Pittman, at the present time I am speaking to “expectations”. AllDawgs5 and I were open to the same comments when Coach Friend was hired.

Have more to say, took my time trying to avoid a heart attack, prior to posting.

At the present time when I look at team building, we appear to be in the same rut that we were in when it comes to Special Team(s), not just one facet. Not sure what is going on there, do feel that the opening 95 yard run put some “juice” in Vandy’s players guts.

Enjoyed watching kickoffs into the end zone. Field goals looked good also. Maybe another problem that is improving.

www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/sch...-m-footbl-sched.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75284 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
At the present time when I look at team building, we appear to be in the same rut that we were in when it comes to Special Team(s), not just one facet. Not sure what is going on there, do feel that the opening 95 yard run put some “juice” in Vandy’s players guts.

FANS asked for and finally got what was asked for . . . . a Special Teams Coach.

Still of the opinion that too many did not buy into what Coach Smart had to say when he arrived . . . . Said he was after different types of players. If I were a player, those words would bother me.

Do not believe too many on this board are bailing out, believe several on this board added some constructive criticism. Maybe not what each one of us want to hear, but I believe it is good for this site.

"Bleeding Hearts" are trying to circle their wagons . . . . I won't be one that joins in.

Just returned from South Florida, spent a week, talked a lot of football. Mark Richt is being questioned big time on his "play calling". He says he hopes to get better. Fact is, take too much time off, tend to get "rusty" when returning.

Video(s) below are really calling "someone out". While at VaTech, Special Teams were outstanding. Might be that "Dad" had a lot to do with that.

georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Watch-Ex-NFL-...ck-coverage-48320860
The following user(s) said Thank You: BullDawg2010

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #75285 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: VANDY vs UGA
So you've been hard on these coaches AD, but you disagree with me for being hard on one of the coaches.

Let's take a look again at that last fateful drive...

It's 3rd and 1 at Vandy's 41. You've got 2 downs to make 1 yard and you have Nick Chubb on the bench. As bad as we were running all day, Chubb still averaged 2.5 yards a carry and Michel was over 2.. and we throw a pass and run IMac.

2 downs to get 1 yard and Chubb doesn't touch the ball. I'm sure he feels great about that decision.

So Chaney loves to throw it all over the field? Yet in the same paragraph you talk about Kirby having the same mindset as Saban and we are going to pound the rock?

So how is it we are going to pound the rock with an OC just itching to throw it all over the field? Thanks for pointing out exactly what I am saying: At best Chaney is a very round peg apparently trying to fit into a square hole.

You also pointed out that our 2 best players are
RB's.. your words, not mine. Yet that being said, you are fine that with 2 plays to pick up 1 yard with a game on the line... neither of our 2 best players saw the ball.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadlerdawg, DAWGtm, growl

More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds