Forum

Vandy need I say more

9 years 6 months ago #63155 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Vandy need I say more
Vandy has a world of hurt.... starting QB out with a concussion.

Freshman to start. Much work to be done for us...need to use this game to get better in several Areas......Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, ogredawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #63156 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Vandy need I say more

yankeedawg1 wrote: Vandy has a world of hurt.... starting QB out with a concussion.

Freshman to start. Much work to be done for us...need to use this game to get better in several Areas......Go Dawgs

Yup, could be a great opportunity! Just need to PRAY that the "Dynamic Duo on O" don't fall prey to their known proclivity to make mountains out of mole hills.....

Different team, different year, but does the name Maty Mauk strike a chord?...Just gonna sit back with MANY cold brews and watch this unfold....

GO DAWGS!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 6 months ago #63157 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Vandy need I say more
Looking back this morning, again.

When the pressure got so heavy on Willie Martinez as defensive coordinator, took Mark Richt too long to correct that situation. Yes it did!

After the dismissal of Willie, Willie put his lips out and refused to go with the team to the bowl game, such as it was. Mark Richt trying to keep his record of bowl appearance alive. He was also on the "hot seat" at that point.

Replacing the defensive coordinator became quite concerning to me. Mark Richt turned down by several of the recognized defensive coordinators that were approached. Several numbers were mentioned as to how many coordinators had been approached. More than one, Truth.

Finally grantham was hired on. Somehow Mark Richt never seemed to be totally comfortable with grantham, after the first year it became apparent that Richt/grantham were on a collision course. They did collide.

After all of the miscues that were made, came down to the offensive line coach to find Mark Richt a suitable replacement. Mark Richt did not find Jeremy Pruitt, Will Friend did that. Richt recognized the fact that he was back in a similar position that he went through finding a replacement for Martinez. This time Richt did not allow any grass to grow under his feet, moved quickly.

So, here is my question. If Georgia is such a great place to play football, what makes it so difficult to hire top talent? Having talked to many folks, seems most agree it is not the University of Georgia that prevents talented coaches from signing on. Wonder what that reason might be? Think about that.

The "Group" was thrilled that Pruitt/Rocker and Company landed in Athens, and quickly at that. Kept their prize off of the "hot seat, again". I said that.

Have said several times, which is more than once that Mark Richt needs to stay out of the way. Recruits and Moms love him, that in my mind is his importance to the Georgia Football Team. Mark Richt is not a motivator. If we disagree on that, won't be the first time.

I look at defensive coordinators like Kirby Smart, side by side with Nick Saban. John Chavis side by side with Les Miles. Bud Foster side by side with Frank Beamer. We are into our fourth defensive coordinator since Mark Richt arrived. Pruitt has a three year contract, just wondering. Numbers of defensive coordinators divided into Mark Richt's years of running the Georgia program, turns out to be a little over three years longevity at most.

More
9 years 6 months ago #63158 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Vandy need I say more
Always enjoy reading your posts, Buc. Love the way your mind works! You often bring to the table factoids that few consider over the tenure of CMR's reign. Here's my take away from your post....Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pruitt's contract runs concurrent with, or perhaps just slightly longer that CMR's last extension....I believe!!!...After watching CMR last season, as compared to this one, I've seen an obvious disconnect....What little passion that existed last season; and I believe that was entirely for AM, no longer seems to reside within Mark. That being said, I suspect we will, with a year or two, be dealing with a retiring coach....

Now, clearly CMR has been attempting to anoint Bobo as the Heir Apparent.....LORD HELP US!!!!....Pruitt, however, could put just enough stress on that ambition to make a difference. I like Pruitt and have chosen NOT to disparage his efforts this season, as he isn't working with anyone he recruited and has had to fill in huge gaps caused by player thuggery and/or defection. Next year will begin to tell the tale and every season thereafter, if Mark allows it......

You mentioned a very important point about DC's during CMR's career....Let's not forget the issue's at OC...As you may recall, our original OC was CMR....and after a few years of,....I'll be nice,...less than productive seasons, there was the "sharing" of OC responsibilities, then the full-time hire of CMB.....Toss in many, MANY assistant coaching changes on both sides and you begin to get a clear and disturbing picture of a revolving door....

Now, I've never coached football at any level. I played football and soccer in HS and played Intramural/Club soccer thereafter. Later in life, I coached my girls in soccer all the way to HS. Again, no understanding of football coaching, but plenty elsewhere and I know that without coaching stability across all disciplines the team will suffer!....Just saying......

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, growl

More
9 years 6 months ago #63159 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Vandy need I say more
NC_Dawg, much can be drawn from your post that could and should be discussed here. I will take one line, and there are many that I could draw from.

Toss in many, MANY assistant coaching changes on both sides and you begin to get a clear and disturbing picture of a revolving door....

Couple of thoughts on that comment. First, when I see a coach leave Nick Saban it is usually with his blessings. Some might not understand just how far that goes when recruiting time comes around every year. Example of that is Jimbo Fisher, comes from those that have studied under Saban. Pruitt spent his time with Saban and he has great respect for Nick, has said it more than once since leaving Tuscaloosa. Most of us know that Saban had a serious sit down with Kirby Smart about choosing wisely his next move. Great advice. Another case of a defensive coordinator that loves the University of Georgia, but knows his value to SEC football would diminish greatly under Mark Richt. I harbor some of those same thoughts about Pruitt and Richt.

You are right about Pruitt's contract, unless there is something we don't know. There is always that possibility.

This thought sticks to my gray matter, and from time to time, it finds its way through the "clouds". Richt said that he feels good, brought up the name of Bobby Bowden some time back when he was discussing whether or not he would coach past his contract with Georgia. If we pay close attention to his words, that is the lead up to a much larger amount than he now draws. At this point, if Pruitt turns the defense around, Mark Richt will get credit for that, not Will Friend. There will be smiles and numbers thrown Richt's way to sign on for x number of years.

At the present time there seems to be a difference of opinion between Richt and Bobo about the returning receivers for Saturdays game. Truthfully, I find that to be more of the same for our coaching staff. Bobo seems to be showing his right to remain the offensive coordinator and who will and will not play on Saturday. Simple answer to that is this . . . . Ron Courson will make that decision. Frankly, Mark Richt is playing the PR game, top receivers will play comment, that automatically puts butts in the seats. Fact.

Enjoyed your post, and will add this . . . . Soccer, Swimming, Baseball, Volleyball . . . . you said Again, no understanding of football coaching, but plenty elsewhere and I know that without coaching stability across all disciplines the team will suffer!....Just saying...... Two words "coaching stability" you are spot on, regardless of the sport.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
9 years 6 months ago #63171 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Vandy need I say more
B.Douglas is ready to make up for fumble against vandy last year!

Hope he gets to carrie the load after the first Quarter.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• Dawg With Style
  • Dawg With Style's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds