Forum

So what is it going to be

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59489 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic So what is it going to be
Thank you wlayton.

Just a suggestion from one of the old farts on this board . . . . :)

Watching a lot of video on Pruitt's coaching, he did one thing really, really well . . . . kept everything simple.

There is not a doubt in my mind that also applies to the offense. Same rule should apply.

Example. Gus Malzahn ran about a half dozen plays with variations. If we go back and look at the game between Georgia and Auburn, same plays over and over. That is why I scratch my head sometimes wlayton. Half a dozen good plays far outweighs a book that has 100 or so plays. This is not rocket science. Anyone has the time, and yes I know that I have more than most, pull up the Georgia v Auburn game, or the FSU v Auburn game, or the Alabama v Auburn game.

In my humble opinion this talk about being far ahead in the playbook is "chatter". Protecting ones reputation. Hope I am wrong, just have this feeling.

Lack of learning skills for Faton Bauta, that is not worth a comment. Let action speak louder than words Mark Richt. In the past, your history does not reflect that.

One of the problems concerning grantham was he tried to do too much with his system for the players to fully grasp. As I have read, grantham was trying to out do the opposing teams coach, and I might add, for selfish reasons.

What is it that yankeedawg1 refers to grantham as . . . . Toddy Towel/Towel Toddy? It had gotten to the point of being "all about me" and that can be and usually is costly. Although Toddy did manage to get a raise for the great job he did in Athens, right?

One thing for sure, when it comes time to play Clemson, then South Carolina, we will understand more about our team and coaches.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #59490 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic So what is it going to be
Imo, I do believe our playbook warrants much more diversified plays, audibles, reads etc etc because of the vast of talent we have on the offensive side of the ball. AU doesn't come close to having the "skill" players we do.....but...(like in the Wizard of Oz) they do have something we don't have, a brutal OL.

We have a plethora of talent to use and obviously need more situational plays etc to get these players the ball. Very good RB's, WR's, TE etc.

But I get your point....the simpler the better. AU can keep it simple because they don't have an abundance of "skilled" talent and the QB isn't asked to do too much.....our offense requires much more....imo.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
10 years 1 month ago #59493 by Buc
wlayton, enjoyed reading your post. Good points.

So, when I come into 2014 looking at our offensive line, a line that as yet has not been pencilled in to start against Clemson. There have been some "guesses" and "trial presentations", we however are going into 2014 as we have for several of the past few years.

Auburn of course as Nick Saban said on National TV was very good, and the upcoming NFL Draft will prove that to be a true statement.

Of course that works really well for a first year quarterback, as was the case with Nick Marshall. However, adding to that, Nick has "wheels" and some "shake" that only makes him that much more dangerous.

One of the points that I have tried to make over a few months is that we have a quarterback that has some of the same qualities, and quite frankly, has more physical power than does Nick Marshall. Going to dig a quote out from AM about Faton Bauta and his understanding of our offense. Coming from AM, he said it, I believe it, "Faton is a gym rat like myself. Buries himself in the film room when others want to maybe play a bit off campus.

One of the problems that we are faced with (my opinion) is we have been doing the same things for years. We do have a couple of wrinkles from time to time, but as you say, it is for the most part, we line up and with our outstanding talent at several positions and play "man football". Beating the defense with our talented players position wise.

Much of what I read coming out of Auburn is that Nick will be throwing the football more this year. Gus Malzahn knows that he will not be able to continue to do the same things year after year in the SEC and have the success he is looking for. Folks like Jeremy Pruitt come along and cause problems for head coaches like Gus Malzahn. That I can admire about Gus, knowing that there has to be a change in "overall tactics".

It has been said on this board often, and I am one of those that have said this . . . . If you are playing against a Mark Richt offense, choose any years video and it pretty much looks the same, whether we are talking about 2005 or 2013. Threw the years out for no special reason than to say, we have been basically the same year after year. My suspicion is that it is very hard for Mike Bobo or anyone else to radically change what has been in place for 13 years. Understandable.

So now we have a defensive coordinator on board and regardless of what anyone thinks or hears, this first year under Jeremy Pruitt is going to be a radically different. Fans and media seem to dwell on 3/4's and 4/3's and combinations of the two. Watching FSU, can't say that I saw more 3 man fronts than I did 5 and 6 man fronts. Media can call it any way that they wish, but if we look closely at what Pruitt did at FSU, I would say it is . . . . young men with their eyes on the football from the snap and getting to the ball quickly. There is good reason for Pruitt bringing forth his recommendation that players begin right now shedding pounds.

Personally, I think that Richt is now in a copycat mode. I like it, but only if he is being honest to his words. Richt see the enthusiasm that Pruitt has generated for Georgia fans. He is also smart enough to know that he needs to "change" some things.

I stop this post with this . . . . Anyone that thinks that Faton Bauta does not understand the Georgia playbook, or does not have an SEC arm, or wheels of a halfback/fullback is in my opinion, buying the "party line". Promises are made to be kept, have to be very careful with the promises. A good indicator of that last statement . . . . turn your eyes and ears toward Washington, D.C. Many promises, covered with more promises. Just saying. :)

I lied . . . . one more thing, nothing works when the offensive line is put on the "back burner" for years. That also falls on the head coach. Again, just saying. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, averagedawg, growl

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59497 by Buc
Oops. Meant to post this clip in my last post. Just something to look at. :)

Check out our tackling in this video. Money says that will change and change quickly under Pruitt and his assistants.

More
10 years 1 month ago #59498 by TN Dawg
Replied by TN Dawg on topic So what is it going to be
Want to go back to a comment Buc made, post #148, about the hits that get the "ooohs" and "aaaahs". Most seem to be hits above the waist, AKA targeting fouls. Until the rule is changed, I would rather see UGA's D put a shoulder in the belly and drive them to the ground. Seems like over the years have gotten away from tackling and prefer to bump them down or try to knock them off their feet.

Still don't understand if a targeting foul is called, reviewed, and overturned, why is yardage marked off? I must just be dense cause I haven't heard an explanation yet that I understand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59499 by Buc
Below is a video that I have watched and thought this might be a good time to post it here.

I have been open and vocal in my feelings about what I have seen and felt about Mark Richt. I have been both pro and con.

The reason I am posting this video is . . . . I hope that Mark Richt will remember the days that are shown in the video. Might be he did not get a "full blown chance" to be on the football field.

In my lifetime being associated with football, more than one time have I witnessed players not getting a "fair shake". Probably there are many that post here and those that come to read that have seen some of the same. Quite frankly, have seen some of that at Georgia. Some of that happened under grantham, but there have been other coaches in Athens that have done the same.

Richt has made an open statement that everyone on the offensive side of the ball will be given a "fair shake". I accept that as the truth. Yes I believe that Richt is more than aware of what he is seeing with the hiring of Jeremy Pruitt. Could very well be the "blessing" that he and all of us needed. Might not be, but the coach speak coming out of Athens has changed. We will see in the 2014 Season just how much of the coach speak was and is the truth.

Might be that some have watched this video, never hurts to take another look. :)

More
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds