Forum

GAME DAY: TENN VS UGA

7 years 6 months ago #75034 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic GAME DAY: TENN VS UGA
At the 5:35 minute mark on the video below Kirby explains just exactly what he called and why on the "kick".

Below is the way I understand a "squib kick".

Many times after a play is over, reasons arise as to why a certain play was called. I accept what Kirby said in his explanation of what we did and why.

ogredawg is right in tagging Danielson as a idiot. Board does not allow going much further than that . . . . several thoughts passed through my head.

Squib Kick

The squib kick is a type of kickoff play where the kicker strikes the ball at a specific angle, so that it bounces along the ground and makes it difficult for the kick receiver to cleanly catch the ball and return it. Typically, the kicker will use the inside arch of the foot to strike the top of the football as it sits on the kickoff stand. This sends the ball tumbling end over end along the ground, eliminating any hang time and ideally generating confusion among the return team as to who will field the ball and who will block. The squib kick is effective for preventing a fast, agile kick returner from making a big play and gaining a large chunk of yardage during the return.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #75035 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic GAME DAY: TENN VS UGA
Discipline seems to be a word that continuingly finds its way in the press conferences.

Still have some questions in my mind about the way the game was called "overall". That will always be the case after the game is over.

One thing that I keep thinking about is our defensive line play. Have always been a supporter of Tracy Rocker. Somehow we have fallen down on the defensive line, my problem with that is what happened to the recruiting. The closer I look, the more I see just how "scrambled" the recruiting prior to 2016 was. Definitely a shotgun approach. While there is much conversation about our offensive line, believe that could be a two way conversation at this point.

Has been said several times on this board and others that Kirby needs a couple of years to get our team the way he wants it. Agree with that, and again Kirby is not dodging the fact publicly that he is not used to seeing mistakes like the ones he is from our 2016 effort(?).

Anyone watch the Washington Huskies, Stanford game Friday night? I still have thoughts about Coach Chris Petersen leading the Boise State football team. Looked really sharp Friday night. No not wanting a coaching change, just trying to understand how Washington moved forward so fast and not a lot of player changes. Answer is that Petersen arrived in Washington in 2013 and had a chance to "build" the Huskies his way. Impressive, believe the same will happen in Athens.

Really wanted a win against Tennessee, maybe as much as I want to beat the gators. Tough loss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
7 years 6 months ago #75036 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: TENN VS UGA
Got a text from a UT friend of mine in the middle of the night..

It was just two words:

"Kirby Goff"

Ya know what I think about things like discipline and growing up? I'm tired of hearing them. Kirby said more about those things, but all of what he said is just a bunch of talk. I'll give him this year, but I'm not believing anything until I actually see it.
I had 14 years of "speak" about these issues. I'm now done with "talk".

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

More
7 years 6 months ago #75037 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic GAME DAY: TENN VS UGA
we won that game except the last play.

yeah lots of things to say about the last few minutes, coaching criticism coming.

ks using discipline word a lot.

moving on.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.

7 years 6 months ago #75038 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: TENN VS UGA
They won that game except for the next to last play.

See... we can spin things in different ways to
create whatever narrative we want to create, but the fact of the matter is as if right now, we're the same old Georgia as last year and the year before.

To the Richt sycophants... we're the same, not worse.. so you best pocket your "I told you so's" for a season or two.

For the rest of us though who supported and still support the changes... we may be hearing a different message, but it hasn't made a difference
yet. The unsportsmanlike penalty... the stupid pooch kick... the poorly played Hail Mary.. that wasn't the left tackle... it wasn't a lack of depth..
it was just vintage UGA.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, DAWGtm

More
7 years 6 months ago #75039 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic GAME DAY: TENN VS UGA
As I have said... It is what it is, same team, different boss.

My POV comes from this... I have had to take over and fix failing businesses. It is hard to do if the employees are the problem. In one situation one employee was so mad about the change they were willing to sabotage things I did, jeopardizing everybody else's success. It turns out they were the main problem and when they were gone everything started getting better for everybody.

KS and company's play calling... There are always second guesses but no time machine to go back and try them. They are using the resources they inherited and yep, it might take a couple of years.

I am also tired of excuses. MR wore me down and I have little tolerance for excuses, valid or not.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds