Forum

Monday - What was that? And then Mizzou

7 years 7 months ago #74581 by bpatters69
Replied by bpatters69 on topic Monday - What was that? And then Mizzou
Thanks Buc. Makes sense on the TEs. If they have to help block, that makes it difficult to catch passes. Coach Smart definitely has his work cut out for him. His prime directive is probably more changing attitudes on the team than it is anything else. The coming weeks will be very telling. I hope to see improvement in all aspects.

Have to agree on the O line and D Line for that matter. You can have the speediest receivers and QBs with the best arms but all is moot without protection. Solid D linemen make the secondary on D better too. I know I am stating the obvious but neither O line or D line have been streangths, based on what I have seen. Then again... I used to play on the D and O line so I may be a bit biased.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #74582 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Monday - What was that? And then Mizzou
Frankly I thought this years edition of the offensive line was going to be one of our better lines in recent years. Season not over, but you know as do I that everyone watches film, that goes back years. Some of the more advanced football high schools doing the same thing colleges have been doing forever. My bet is Coach Sam Pittman will get the most out of our offensive line at some point. Soon I hope, starting with Missouri. Good to see you back bpatters69.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74589 by Buc
"You don't have to have these great players to have a great front, and that takes time," Stinchcomb said. "They have to play well together and maybe if there was one comment to make, it's that right now in the SEC you’ve got a bunch of offensive lines that aren't playing well together. That's not to say they aren't individually talented, that's not to say that they won't eventually, but you have to have five guys on the same page doing their job together, and you don't have that right now."

Plucked the above paragraph from a ESPN site.

bpatters69, you having played both sides, if you have not read this, thought you might appreciate what Matt Stinchcomb aka ("Stinch") had to say. I really like Matt's delivery on television, "Damn Good Dawg"! Smart, dedicated and one heck of a player, served the Red and Black extremely well.

On the defensive line we have one junior, rest freshmen and sophomores. Think Kirby said we played around 15 or so this past week. Our time will come. Smart and Company are not "patching" they are "building".

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74596 by Buc
I sincerely hope that Solomon Kindley finds his way into the game on Saturday night for this reason . . . . because he has talent. You do not line a poodle up against a pit bull, knowing the outcome.

Our coaching staff traveled North of the Mason/Dixon for one reason . . . . they recognized we had/have a serious problem on the offensive line. A very serious problem when talking about playing football in the SEC.

Anyone that doubts Coach Sam Pittman is not all about building an SEC line is still living under past years of . . . . you call it.

There is a movement that started when we hired Kirby Smart, removed the one foot he had in the door in Columbia, South Carolina. Press and many others may not like his approach, but bet this, this group of coaches have a plan, not going to waver, and soon enough Georgia will line up with teams that would much prefer not to face off with us.

We have not been feared in years. Say again that goes further back than the recently dismissed coaching staff.

The young folks that have yet to sign with any D1 university, not just this year, years to come, want to know that they have a chance to “compete” at the highest level. Think Alabama.

I think ahead to Notre Dame and our home and home games. The wrappers are going to go nuts when that period rolls around. Smart and Company know that. Not that far off. Good Boy Scouts are prepared.

Best now to get the talent on the practice field with this group of coaches. Coach Sam Pittman will take care of his area, of that I have zero doubts. We are building not rebuilding. Alabama went through the “process” when Saban was hired, now it is our time with the hiring of Smart and Company. Kirby Smart knew what was ahead when he returned home.

Question . . . . Any disagreement from anyone with the coaches that Kirby Smart hired?

sflanagan21, for sure you sounded the alarm about Jacob Eason. That is what makes Dawgs.com a very good read, folks that understand the “process”. Jacob Eason and "many" others are going through the "process".

Totally on board with most everything I have seen thus far.

Solomon Kindley settled in Athens weighing 370 pounds, or there abouts. Now 330/335. Next year he will be a monster at guard and that is exactly the position he will play wearing the Red and Black.

Fun starts now, great fun a short time away.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74597 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic Monday - What was that? And then Mizzou

bpatters69 wrote: I am not even close to throwing in the towel on the team or the coaching staff but I see shades of the old UGA poking through. Maybe that is to be expected for a season or two until Coach Smart's attitude permeates the program. I hope so.

Good read Bpat..

And the quote I snipped from you is most certainly the truth. Until Kirby has had time to thoroughly implement the process at UGA, there are going to always be storm clouds lingering on the horizon. Keep in mind that it does take a season or two to turn the tables for any coach coming into a system that was stacked and packed with the former regime's players and mentality. Some of it at UGA will not be flushed out until these players graduate or move on to the NFL. Also keep in mind that when Saban first came to Alabama, his record was 7-6 in season #1 at the helm including a loss to Louisiana-Monroe. Season #2 he was 12-2. Season #3 he was 14-0.

The problem here as I see it is twofold:

#1. Like it or not, UGA fans are hungry and they want to eat right now. Not tomorrow, not next week, now. I get it. But sadly, this isn't a drive-thru type affair. Instant gratification is not on the menu for us right now. We have to understand that these things take time. It blows my mind that we have one devastatingly embarrassing game and I've already heard people introducing a tee-niney bit of doubt about Kirby's ability. I was really worried that after the 1st game fans and players alike would let it go to their heads. It did. The hype train launched with furious momentum. The rankings rolled in and all of a sudden, UGA was in the top 10. Could this be our year? How good is Georgia really? Georgia is now the favorite in the East. All those things started building like a snowball to the point where we came into the stadium thinking that our crap didn't stink. That is immaturity, lack of focus, and arrogance all wrapped into one nasty crap pie that got smashed in our faces last Saturday.

#2. I've said it before, hell, Kirby himself said it himself the very first day on the job: "we don't have enough depth to play in the SEC. We don't have the lines and we don't have the depth. To win in the SEC, you have to have devastating offensive and defensive lines and you have to have the depth chart to back that." This team is not representative of what he wants at UGA. Pittman has stated his unhappiness both with the line size and the line talent. Kirby said during the spring game "When I look at our lines and our depth, I am terrified. Terrified. We just don't have the size we need." After the spring game, when asked about how the defense is looking, he said something to the effect that "i'm not sure we have really good players out there." Clearly he has inherited a team with problems and he's trying to make the best of installing a new system in their heads while at the same time, trying to coach them up to utilize every ounce of their talent. This is not an excuse, this is a fact. And to those who say "well, the former coach got ten wins out of these guys," I say that if ten wins is the goal, then job well done. Ten wins and a trip to the whatever toilet bowl doesn't mean a tinker's damn to me, you, and especially not Kirby.

We all need to relax, enjoy the season as much as we can. This is a fun time. We're gonna lose a game at some point. We might lose two, or three. We might even lose those badly. We learn from those losses and keep building. When you look at the recruiting that's being done, it tells the real story of the future.

Be patient dawgs, we got what we wanted. The time is coming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, sflanagan21

More
7 years 7 months ago #74602 by Buc
Well written and I believe your post expresses the feelings of many . . . . this board and others. Don't stop SouthernDawg. Allow me this . . . . your posts remind me a lot of AllDawgs5's posts. That is a pat on the back from where I sit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, sflanagan21

More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds