Forum

Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses

11 years 5 months ago #50259 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
I don't want to jump in TOO far here, and I'm not going to take sides . . . I understand both sides point. But didn't Mason WANT to be redshirted?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #50260 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses

thriller wrote: I don't want to jump in TOO far here, and I'm not going to take sides . . . I understand both sides point. But didn't Mason WANT to be redshirted?

Yes, but richt has said he will be the backup if anything happens to Murray. My problem isn't necessarily that Mason is being redshirted, it is that he is not getting any practical game experience if he has to come in to a game. If he is 2nd best, he should be the backup and should be preparing for the role of starter, IMO. If he is redshirting, the staff should be preparing LeMay or whoever as the backup. LeMay has taken a few snaps, but the coaching staff has been adamant that Mason is the starter if Murray gets injured, not LeMay, and he will not be prepared, and I think that makes very little sense.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!

More
11 years 5 months ago #50266 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
Either Redshirt me or I will transfer is what I believe the way it was put. I say see ya and prepare LeMay to be #2. If AM decides to play next year and I do believe he will come back, what will Mason say next year. Will he be happy riding the pine for another year and get a few snaps in mop up situations like Joe Cox did. Then as a 5th year senior come out prepared to lead this team. Like I said did not work for Cox and with this coaching staff I see it not working for Mason.

thecountrynation.com

More
11 years 5 months ago #50269 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
I don't think LeMay is going to be the answer. Might develop but not right now. That is just the life of a back-up QB. Prepare as good as possible, and if something happens to the QB, be ready. Never going to be enough experience to simulate being the every down QB.

Now I am confused Ogredawg. What is it that you think they should be doing with Mason? I don't like assuming but it sounds like you want him to get snaps to gain experience. I understand that motto. But then you sight Joe Cox as an example against my point. Not following that. Joe Cox got significant snaps. I remember seeing him in numerous games when Stafford was struggling. So he got actual game experience. I am not understanding how that is proving a point against my stance. Joe Cox got many snaps and game experience before he took over the starting job. That theory didn't work out for him. Redshirt or not, had Stafford stayed, Joe would have never been the starting QB so this situation is all different.

More
11 years 5 months ago #50270 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
I can think of several instances where AM should have been benched in favor of Mason, last game comes to mind after the 3 really bad ints. Best move is to bench him to give him a wake up call.....much like Williams did for the D.

My point being is that I do not think that this current coaching staff is as good at preparing QB's as most say they are. What did Murray say about his game against the gaytors.......he had to go back and work on his fundamentals........his what......if he don't have that down by now then it points to being poorly coached.

thecountrynation.com

More
11 years 5 months ago #50271 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
can't say that I disagree about benching him. I am not going to say the kid is poorly coached though. I hear Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and others talk after bad games. They talk about getting back to the fundamentals. Just part of it.

I wouldn't say I would have been in favor of Mason coming in necessarily, I would like for us to develop a system in which we change the pace. Maybe like DJ was with David. Different packages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogredawg

More
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds