Forum

Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses

11 years 5 months ago #50241 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses

AllDawgs5 wrote: No, I wouldn't. Mason is the one wanting to use the redshirt. Willing to bet if he wasn't allowed to redshirt, he wouldn't have stayed at UGA. I remember him strongly thinking about transfering in order to get playing time. I am willing to bet he stated that he didn't want to waste another year on taking meaningless snaps. As far as AM getting hurt, just about every good team is going to suffer if they lose their starting QB. That's just football. Imagine if K-state loses Klein, or USC loses Shaw, or USC loses Barkley. Any school that the starting QB is as big a factor is going to suffer and have a greater chance of losing. I would even willing to bet it would change Bama's game plan if they lost McCarron against lsu.

I look at it like this, if we lost Jarvis, would our defense still be as good? We have gotten younger guys snaps to get experience, but still are we going to be a weaker defense. Yes. Injuries of key players are going to make an impact regardless of what you do to prevent them or prepare for them.

IF CMR didn't red-shirt Mason, I am betting he would no longer be at UGA.

GO DAWGS

I guess you're just missing my point. I'm not suggesting our offense should be as good with a backup, but thanks for all the examples of teams that would suffer. My point is, a team's backups need to be prepared to take over the starter's role at any time. All of our backups have gotten significant playing time, except QB, and there have been opportunities to play him.
If he demands a redshirt or says he's leaving, BYE!!!! Then at least we would have a backup that could receive playing time and be closer to taking the controls if needed. Crowell and others were bashed for the ME attitude, and if that was Mason's stance, he should be as well. And if it wasn't the coach's idea, I don't think they should have honored his request if it hurts the team.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #50242 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
I just don't think taking meaningless snaps is going to make a huge difference in getting him developed. He did that last year. It's a different scenario IMO than the other selfish examples. I am ok with the coaching staff honoring his wishes. He seems to be a good kid but doesn't want to waste a year of eligibility if he isn't going to get significant playing time. Hell, he has already done that for 2 years.

15-20 snaps aren't going to get him that prepared in my mind. Different mindset and responsibilities than any other position.

More
11 years 5 months ago #50243 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
AllDawgs5, have to ask this . . . . You said . . . .

I look at it like this, if we lost Jarvis, would our defense still be as good? We have gotten younger guys snaps to get experience, but still are we going to be a weaker defense. Yes. Injuries of key players are going to make an impact regardless of what you do to prevent them or prepare for them.

That is the question that I posed earlier. The only quarterback that I have seen under center outside of the first couple of games is AM. Answering what you posted above, the need to "try" and have some semblence of a backup, I don't see. Understand that Hutson Mason has deferred until next season. There is no doubt in my mind when I look over the quarterbacks that something is not right.

While Mark Richt might be one of the top quarterback coaches in the country, I have a problem when I look over the roster and am not sure what I am looking at.

Next season we have the quarterback coming in that says without reservation that he is after the starting roll. I like that, however what does that do with the remaining young men on the roster. What happens as you say if Hutson Mason should God forbid get hurt. The incoming freshman runs an entirely different offense.

It is easy to say what if, but that is my nature, what if? I personally think that question needs to be asked frequently.

Most of the talk at the beginning of the season was AM being all that, both nationally and locally. The mistakes that I see coming from AM are not what one would expect from a quarterback that has been under center for three years. Setting a lot of records, and that gets a lot of play, and should, except . . . . had there not been a Jarvis Jones and others, Florida would have been a catastrophe. Can also turn that around and say South Carolina ate our defense up. On that point, did not see a lot coming from AM and the offensive side.

Quite frankly, I am one that has questions. I look for improvement, and the first half of the Florida game almost cost me a television. Second half, AM did the right thing, after Bobo got in his ear and said basically . . . . you are not big enough on your own to win this game.

Lots of questions in my mind, just trying to see what happens the rest of this season. No different than anyone else on this board wanting the Red and Black to win. Something is fixable I hope, undefeated every year would suit me just fine. With the overall talent both offensively and defensively, guess I am looking for too much.

Just thinking out loud.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #50244 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
AD5, I do think not taking any snaps in over a year would make a difference, so I guess we'll just have to chalk this one up to "agree to disagree".

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!

More
11 years 5 months ago #50245 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
In my mind, he is better of taking them in practice rather than buffalo or fius second string defense.

I believe AM will be back next year Buc. Would give Mason a year to get snaps and a year to let Ramsey develop. To me, there is nothin more any coach could do at this position. Main job is to make sure the backup knows the system so that they can at least run the offense.

More
11 years 5 months ago #50247 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: Georgia, Florida, No Damn Excuses
AllDawgs5, I would bet the house on AM coming back next year as you mentioned. That as you say is truly a good thing. At that point, and I sincerely don't mean this as a slant, the records will be there for all who want to look in that direction. One could only imagine what the record book would look like had the Detroit quarterback played 3 or 4 years in Athens. Records normally come down to a period in time. Game changes, teams change.

I said at the beginning of this season, before the first game was played that I hoped we could play Alabama in Atlanta. If anyone doubts that, I will take a look and post the results. That meant we should or could be better than other teams in the East.

My reasoning at that point and what was discussed was to see where we stood in the SEC. There was talk that the East could not stand up to the West. Guess what, we did. East vs West.

Watched some TV today and on the particular program that I watched, several media guys and former NFL players said openly that Alabama is capable of beating more than one team in the NFL.

If we are going to talk about reaching the mountain top, we have to do more than beat Florida, learn how to beat South Carolina, and heaven help us with Alabama.

Just rambling, helps me sleep. :)

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds