Forum

Arkansas time to play another complete game

9 years 6 months ago #63590 by Buc

ogredawg wrote: I wouldn't say that Arkansas cannot throw the football. Allen was 21/40 for 246 yards and threw the ball around pretty well against the Tide. He exploited their zone some over the middle during that game also... 12 passing first downs of the 18 they got...all the while getting sacked 4 times and hurried on numerous occasions...

ogredawg, Arkansas is a "gutty bunch". That is the way Bielema teaches the game. You and I know that. He is not trying to "fool" anyone, playing kick a$$ football. Did that at Wisconsin, now has more and better overall players, he will be a force in the West sooner rather than later. Ask Nick Saban about last Saturdays game.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #63592 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Arkansas time to play another complete game

Buc wrote: One more thingy about the quarterbacking position for Georgia.

Hutson Mason's average pass completion gain yardage wise was 5.6 yards. Ok, we won, that is a very good thing. What does that say about getting the ball to Malcolm Mitchell and Justin Scott-Wesley in the future? Mitchell was active and on the field against Missouri, guess Arkansas has a good grip on what we can and can not do Saturday.

Is the above being ugly? It is if you have a closed mind, or think that Arkansas has not looked at every inch of Georgia play calling in the 2014 Season. This might be "ugly" . . . . anyone could go back several years and watch Georgia film and come away with the same game plan for 2014. I know, truth hurts, sometimes we have to admit that all is not as it seems, both up and down.

Edit: Allow me this. Plucked this from Bleacher Report after posting the above, I read much. Totally agree that we had better understand gap integrity. Also want to say this, have not prior to this post . . . . Toby Johnson has become a "leader", that was needed by our defense. You agree? Toby stepped up and he will do the same against Arkansas. Toby is now ready to play SEC Football, Rocker knows that. Toby Johnson has become a "bad a$$". Toby is well and is on a mission. Arkansas center cannot handle Toby by himself. Load that damn box.

Time for Georgia to "load the box" and make Bielema's team pass. Might be that our defense has "stepped up" and are ready to "show cause". We do have db's that have good hands. Again, load the box, Bielema will play "grown man football".

Georgia's front seven will need to remain disciplined in their pursuits in order to slow down the likes of Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams. A failure to maintain gap integrity or over-pursuit will expose cut-back lanes and put the defense in poor position to make a play.

Buc, this is THE one game this year I'm scared we will miss "size" needed on the DL. Imo, we had better control the ball and clock or Ark will.

If they run straight at us, I'm not so sure we can stop them consistently....we'll see.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 6 months ago #63594 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Arkansas time to play another complete game
Agree, I am not sure how we are going to hold up against an O-Line like we are going to see Saturday. Their running backs are much better than average as well. They hide themselves well. Throw the ball pretty well, and just playing the odds, things don't look good. They have lost 15 straight SEC games, they are talented, and they are at home. They are past due.

I agree about the passing game as well. Will say this though, deep ball success against Mizzou isn't going to happen for anyone unless they change their D. Their corners were 8-15 yds off the line of scrimmage for the majority of the game. The quick passes were wide open all game. Not really sure how great of a coach Pinkel is to not make an adjustment, or why that adjustment should have ever been made. it was almost as he had never watched Mason throw. I was in total amazement. Don't believe Ark will make that mistake, or anyone else to be honest.

Going to give Mason a break for the week. He has earned that from me IMO. He managed the game perfectly, and completed the ones he had too. Still worried about arm strength though. Going to need it eventually.

CJP and that defensive staff have their work cut out. As impressive as last week was, it doesn't do anything this week.

Say it once again, CMR is an underdog coach. We were underdogs with all the Todd Gurley stuff last week. Back to being the front runner. Scary.

GO DAWGS
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

More
9 years 6 months ago #63599 by Buc
wlayton said . . . . Buc, this is THE one game this year I'm scared we will miss "size" needed on the DL. Imo, we had better control the ball and clock or Ark will.

If they run straight at us, I'm not so sure we can stop them consistently....we'll see.

Believe you are spot on about size wlayton.

This is what I am hoping for . . . . All of the off season work, mat drills, etc. coming in to play at some point. One thing that I have noticed more and more, we seem to really try and dislodge the ball "often". Can see "little" things that are being taught by Pruitt/Rocker and Company.

Also like what a couple of our players have said about there being more than one player on the field in 2014. Todd Gurley, wish he were playing, he is not. Nick Chubb served notice "once again" that he is a football player, one that is now strapping on the SEC having just come from high school. Still say make or try to make Arkansas throw the ball. They will, but I feel a "little better" about our coverage schemes. Might be as many have said on this board, Pruitt's teachings are beginning to be understood better as the season moves on.

AllDawgs5, you are so right about the short passes that Hutson Mason threw against Missouri. Great point, good observation. Missouri reminded me of UGA defensive football as was played under grantham. I used to do a "war dance" with our defensive backs lining up 10-15 yards off of the line of scrimmage. It also needs to be said that those plays were being called by Mike Bobo and it seemed to suit Hutson Mason.

Not sure what Pinkel was (not thinking) at that point. My guess is he had either a "bad game" or his lack of talent on the defense would not allow Missouri too many options.

I really liked what I saw Branden Douglas line up and do. This young man needs to play, also needs to remember to "hold on to the football". Hope I did not jinx him with that statement. Douglas is a football player.

Seldom did I see the Arkansas defensive players making solo tackles, they come in groups and bring it. Ouch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, AllDawgs5

More
9 years 6 months ago #63600 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Arkansas time to play another complete game
Keep the game close 4th quarter will be ours.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

• Dawg With Style
  • Dawg With Style's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago #63602 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Arkansas time to play another complete game
Think CJP may put a 4th hand in the dirt? May need that extra "big body" in there. Seems at FSU he used both the 3-4 and 4-3 (and variations off them) depending on the offense he was facing and their strengths.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds