Forum

Todd Gurley Suspended

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #64003 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Goose, my thoughts at this point take me back to our opening game against Clemson in the 2013 Season. Remember Gurley hurting himself, did return, but it was easy to see that the injury was more than thought. He played on guts. Then he sat some because of injury and he also played on guts again.

When Todd makes his way to the NFL, he is going to be the same Gurley that is not only talented but plays hurt when others cannot or will not. To me at this point it comes down to what is best for Todd Gurley. Anyone that thinks he was not leaving for the NFL at the end of the 2014 Season is in my opinion fooling themselves.

Then I look at what has just happened with Todd and the fix he is in. Basically what Gurley did was go on a "business venture". If he plays the remaining games that he is allowed to, he is again in my opinion, messing with future business considerations.

There are many names that could be brought into this conversation, will go with two at this point. Freshman Sony Michel. Going great guns, but injured, injury seems to have been worse than once thought. Another name, Malcolm Mitchell. Malcolm in my opinion was the "brightest star" coming to Athens as a Freshman. We saw what also happened to Mitchell against Clemson. His injury has taken a long time to come around, and it is still difficult for Mark Richt to say that Mitchell is ready to go full steam.

Fully expect for some to say something like this . . . . you can get hurt crossing the street. True. As it stands right now, Todd Gurley can end his college football career and fully expect to be chosen in the first round. That is a lot of money. Young man that was raised in a mobile home, understands what is waiting for him at the next level.

So, call it a crap shoot. Todd Gurley has given me as a Georgia supporter a bag full of special memories. Comes a time when a person has to weigh what is good for himself and his Mother or taking a risk that could change that ending quickly. If Todd Gurley elects to end his college career right now, he instantly becomes several times a millionaire. I vote for Todd Gurley to do what is right for him at this point, at his age, take the money, not the risk. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

One thing that does not sit well with me is the NCAA saying he has to do community service . . . . what?

Goose, a portion of my reasoning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GooseDawg78

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 5 months ago #64004 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Pretty much what Buc said. The NCAA's penalties are ridiculous at best and community service is insulting. But it's mostly about risk of injury IMO.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GooseDawg78

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #64005 by GooseDawg78
Replied by GooseDawg78 on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Many valid points Buc,

I am sure TG has plenty of mixed emotions right now. He seems like a pretty well grounded & bright young man to me; especially by superstar NCAA money-making machine standards! BUT, according to this very agency, whom gains revenue directly from HIS very existence, he messes up big time, on a "business venture" as you put it. Doesn't exactly paint the picture of some no good perpetrator does it?

Interesting viewpoint fellas...makes me wonder if TG will put more stock in business risk or personal image risk? What is most important to him? Trying to protect his NFL future & symbolically saying "you don't own me NCAA", OR swallowing his pride, accepting what he NOW cannot control, & returning to his team, his fans, & his passion?

Sadler, Buc,

The community service thing does seem way out of jurisdiction to me as well! I must've missed Gurley's court appearance somehow....and speaking as a person who long ago put in my own 40 hours of involuntary community service, you're absolutely positively correct, it is insulting & in many ways quite humbling (which does makes it somewhat effective, IMHO).

TG should & hopefully will do whatever he deems best for him & his loved ones and I will root for him either way. That said, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'll root a whole lot more vehemently for TG if he lets loose his frustrations on the stinking Auburn Tigers on a cool November evening as opposed to waving to the Sanford crowd wearing his street clothes.

Go Gurley!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, sadlerdawg

More
9 years 5 months ago #64006 by GooseDawg78
Replied by GooseDawg78 on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
This guy sums it up WAY better than I can...highly recommend all college sports fans read this:

dogbytesonline.com/michaux-hypocrisy-of-...ey-suspension-88373/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, ogredawg

More
9 years 5 months ago #64007 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended

GooseDawg78 wrote: This guy sums it up WAY better than I can...highly recommend all college sports fans read this:

dogbytesonline.com/michaux-hypocrisy-of-...ey-suspension-88373/

Read it this morning before I came here and you are correct...great article

thecountrynation.com

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #64009 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Would not feel right if I did not say this . . . .

Understand that all Georgia supporters feel very close to Todd Gurley. Somehow I get this feeling that maybe some of us as fans and supporters are thinking more about our entertainment than what is best for Todd Gurley. That is not a shot at anyone, this is an open discussion. Been around for a while, have been involved in a few back and forths.

While I would love to see Gurley playing football in JAX this weekend, I know that I can look forward to watching him play in the NFL, and regardless of which team lucks out and gets him, I will always pull for Todd Gurley. Did the same thing this past weekend when Detroit played Atlanta in England, pulled for Matthew Stafford. Can say the same about Bailey who just hung up the cleats, what a trip to watch him play for 15 or so years.

When I look deep enough into myself, still come back to what has been discussed on this board for several years, the indignant NCAA. Slive threw a pitch at the NCAA and Emmert, letting it be known that there are those in the "free" world of college football that don't have to have the Emmert's of the world putting their "stamp of approval" on universities and athletes.

To me, this is much more than a young pup that came up without what many of us have had. I fail to see where anything other than Emmert's lack of "skilled" handling of "various" things that have been brought to the NCAA's attention have improved what I and others have harped about for some time now. Clearly this was one of the "tactics" that the IRS has used since their inception. I said that.

There is another more powerful group than the NCAA that now has control of college football and they can be ruthless. The game that so many of us treasure now is controlled by more than "butts in the seats". Live cameras with paying customers and fans don't require the same attendance and loyalty that was once the livelihood of college football. As ogredawg often ends with . . . . sigh.

The article below I think bears out some of my thoughts on Todd Gurley returning.

www.macon.com/2014/10/29/3392156_marshal...y-saturday.html?rh=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds