Forum

Todd Gurley Suspended

9 years 4 months ago #64028 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic WOW !!!!......
I think it is absolutely fantastic that Gurley feels that way.

I wouldn't hold it against him if he did otherwise, but that's a pretty big and bold thing to do if
it's true.

I bet a lot of other athletes in the same situation wouldn't.

Wouldn't it be nice if that autographed picture he sends to Emmert is of him hoisting the crystal? :evil:

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #64029 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
I don't see the ncaa as the bad guy here. There is a rule in place with known penalty if the rule is broken. They are just following the rule. This issue would have never come up if the guy hadn't called all the news outlet.

I don't think its a bad rule either. It would be very easy for boosters to legally pay money to student athletes if they can sell their autographs. Not to hard to see a "meet and greet" with star players where they make $50k after the game. As long as the athletic teams are part of the state funded universities, I don't think the student/athletes should make money. The deal is you get a free education for being on the team. If this is not a good deal for you, no problem we will find someone else interested.

I also believe the guys should be able to go directly to the nfl when they leave high school like they do in the nba. Also can't stand the fact that they accept players to the universities that would not be accepted without their athletic skills. Not singling out uga here, they all do that.

Cant argue with it being in Gurley's best interest to sit out. Probably would have been a good move financially for him to just skip the whole year. The nfl guys knew what he could do after last year. Running backs don't last long in the pro's and the blows he takes here will shorten his career there. They are not going to make as much money going forward either. They just get hurt to much to hang a mega contract on them. They are putting more money in the qbs and offensive linemen. They last longer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller

More
9 years 4 months ago #64031 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Todd Gurley Suspended

scooby wrote: I also believe the guys should be able to go directly to the nfl when they leave high school like they do in the nba. Also can't stand the fact that they accept players to the universities that would not be accepted without their athletic skills. Not singling out uga here, they all do that.

I agree.

More
9 years 4 months ago #64032 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended

scooby wrote: I don't see the ncaa as the bad guy here. There is a rule in place with known penalty if the rule is broken. They are just following the rule.

Except for the fact that this "known rule" can be increased arbitrarily based on the whims of a group of people who answer to no one, and except for the fact that no where is "community service" written down.

scooby wrote: The deal is you get a free education for being on the team.

Except for the fact that there are other ways to earn scholarships to give you a free education and none of them
have rules that keep you from making money on the side.

Except also for the fact that the revenue generated by the football team more than covers the cost of the education that they are being "given". "Given" except for the fact they sacrifice their time and bodies to help the universities make millions and millions of dollars, often by the use of the athlete's name and likeness.

Except for the fact that if these same rules were used in anything other than college athletics then it would
be a violation of anti-trust laws as noted by former NCAA Executive Director Walter Byars when he declared, "Amateurism is not a moral issue; it is an economic camouflage for monopoly practice."

scooby wrote: I also believe the guys should be able to go directly to the nfl when they leave high school like they do in the nba.

Nice, except for the fact that they are NOT allowed to do that as the NFL has conspired with he NCAA to allow them to own these guys and profit off of them for 3 years of their life.

These rules are not about the integrity of the amateur athlete that is being given something by the state in a form
of an education. The universities make far more off of these players than they give up, and they don't give a rats patooty about the "education" or they wouldn't knowingly hand out scholarships to "one and done" players.

On top of that, a substantial part of the money generated does not go back to the institution itself, but instead resides in the hands of select administrators, athletic directors, and such... even the NCAA which somehow labeled as nothing more than an oversight committee that somehow manages to generate between $25-35mm profit for itself. (Based on 2012-2013 earnings as reported by Forbes magazine)

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, ogredawg

More
9 years 4 months ago #64033 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
The longer Gurley sits the more his NFL stock rises TG3 will be back.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 months ago #64034 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Todd Gurley Suspended

thriller wrote:

scooby wrote: I also believe the guys should be able to go directly to the nfl when they leave high school like they do in the nba. Also can't stand the fact that they accept players to the universities that would not be accepted without their athletic skills. Not singling out uga here, they all do that.

I agree.

Don't believe a kid is physically ready out of HS for pro football. Body hasn't completely matured. You can get by with it in the NBA.

Btw, while TG will be a 1st round pick, RB's in the NFL aren't a priority anymore like they use to be.....it's a passing league now.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: dawgs_fans_dad

More
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds