Forum

Fall Camp Stuff

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #61684 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Fall Camp Stuff
Know many have read the following. Worth being read by all.
Column written by Marc Weiszer onlineathens.com

Will add this . . . . Could substitute the names Rocker and Pruitt and the message is the same. This is how above average football teams are built, from the ground up. As mentioned in the article by Drew, Coach Rock is teaching us things that we did not know. Love the words teach and leadership.

Particularly like the statement in bold type below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First-year Georgia assistant Tracy Rocker knows a headlining defensive lineman when he sees one.

That’s made easy because that’s what he use to be.

The former Auburn All-American and College Football Hall of Fame inductee says his unit doesn’t have the kind of name to scroll in the marquee, but adds that it’s not a requirement for success, either.

“There ain’t no headliner,” Rocker said. “We ain’t done nothing yet. … A headliner? That ain’t gonna help you against Clemson. We’ve got to play, so our goal is to go out here and play football, learn how to play football correctly and play with great effort and play as a unit.”

Defensive end Ray Drew was once a main attraction-type prospect pegged to be a future star. A consensus five-star recruit when he arrived at Georgia, Drew has answered to three different defensive line coaches in his time as a Bulldog. Now a senior, Drew used his affection for country music to make sense of the shuffling of coaches he’s encountered.

“Like Kenny Rogers said, you’ve got to know when to hold them and when to fold them,” Drew said. “I believe I’ve been dealt a good hand, as well as everyone else. We’ve been put in a great position with a great coaching staff this year, and I believe if we play our poker face right we’ll be all good.”

Despite taking down the quarterback six times last season, Drew agrees with Rocker — there’s no headliner.

“Everyone has something that they can offer,” he said, “and I believe everyone is going to play a vital part in something.”

Whether Drew downplaying his potential to be a leading act is part of a bluff is anybody’s call to make. Rocker — the players call him Coach Rock — insists he doesn’t need one overpowering figure to lead his unit. He’s in the process of molding a collective group effort.

“I just need them to stay together and play together and the rest of it will take care of itself,” Rocker said.

The two defensive end spots currently have six viable options — Drew, senior Toby Johnson, juniors Sterling Bailey, Josh Dawson, James DeLoach and redshirt freshman John Atkins.

Senior Mike Thornton and junior Chris Mayes are the primary candidates to occupy nose guard.

Bailey and Mayes combined for 65 tackles last season, trailing only Drew in production returning. The rest of the bunch has yet to make significant contributions.

“I’m fine with what I have,” Rocker said. “I’m glad with what I have. Hey, the job is to get it done.”

In order to execute that goal, new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt issued a mandate to his linemen and linebackers this offseason — cut weight and improve conditioning. Pruitt said Tuesday he’s proud of his players for accomplishing that goal, “especially on the defensive line.”

Drew said he lost nearly 10 pounds this offseason, currently at 275.

“I feel that my agility is a little bit better, can move around much quicker not carrying around as much weight,” he said. “With the summer workouts that we put in and doing all the extra stretching and conditioning, it’s been improvements around the board for everyone.”

Rocker, who spent the previous three years on staff for the NFL’s Tennessee Titans, has endeared himself to his players since his arrival a little more than six months ago.

“With Coach Rock coming in, he does a lot more coaching,” Drew said. “I know that sounds crazy the way I say it. He’s showing us more moves to just get us outside the normal swim, rip, things of that nature.”

Added Bailey: “There’s so many words to describe Coach Rock. He’s an amazing coach. He comes in showing us how he wants us to do it, teaching us step-by-step and the right technique. He teaches us what he wants from us and what he expects.”

Starting jobs are still to be decided and the rotation could include all the aforementioned names. Rocker says the depth chart doesn’t matter yet, current standing isn’t important.

“The potential I see, we’re only as good if we’re all together,” Rocker said. “We don’t have a guy that’s just a single out guy. I don’t see one. We’re not there. We’re a good defense together and when we do that, somebody is going to come out of the pack and everyone will see.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawg With Style

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #61685 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Fall Camp Stuff
Fentag is injured too I hope it's a quick recovery he can help.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 8 months ago #61686 by TN Dawg
Replied by TN Dawg on topic Fall Camp Stuff
“There ain’t no headliner,” Rocker said. “We ain’t done nothing yet. … A headliner? That ain’t gonna help you against Clemson. We’ve got to play, so our goal is to go out here and play football, learn how to play football correctly and play with great effort and play as a unit.”

That says a lot to me. Have to believe CTR has the attention of players. They should listen to someone who has been there before. Can't express how excited I am that we have Rocker. Major improvement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 8 months ago #61687 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Fall Camp Stuff

TN Dawg wrote: “There ain’t no headliner,” Rocker said. “We ain’t done nothing yet. … A headliner? That ain’t gonna help you against Clemson. We’ve got to play, so our goal is to go out here and play football, learn how to play football correctly and play with great effort and play as a unit.”

That says a lot to me. Have to believe CTR has the attention of players. They should listen to someone who has been there before. Can't express how excited I am that we have Rocker. Major improvement.

TN Dawg, I am a believer that those under Coach Rock hear every word out of his mouth. This is not the same type of coach or coaching that we have been through for more years that I like to mention.

There is no going around Rocker, meaning if you have a problem with Rocker's way of doing things, you lose. Have not seen this under our head coach. Pity parties ended when Pruitt/Rocker and Company arrived. Players know that. Recruiting will vastly improve when leadership is provided along with better play on Saturdays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
9 years 8 months ago #61688 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Fall Camp Stuff
Will repeat a earlier post. The Dawgs that Clemson plays in Sanford will be vastly

Different than last year's game. Only arm waving will be in the stands. A very good thing

I wonder if the folks in. Louisville are as happy with what Toddy is doing as we are

With our new coaches? Go Dawgd

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #61691 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic Fall Camp Stuff
From Columbus Ledger
Tight end Jordan Davis was not present during the second and third periods. That's become kind of a thin position, with starter Jay Rome still getting back in condition after his offseason foot surgeries. There was no word on whether Davis has an injury, and again it's important to note that players missing from the media session don't necessarily mean bad news. But we always pass it along until hearing further on the player's status. (Being that Tuesday was the first full-pads practice, it's inevitable that there would be nicks and bruises.)

Inside linebacker Ramik Wilson is sitting out a third straight practice. UGA hasn't revealed Wilson's injury, but defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt indicated Tuesday that Wilson would return soon.

Ryne Rankin, another inside linebacker, was by Wilson's side, watching in uniform. Rankin and Wilson are each wearing regular white jerseys, rather than green non-contact jerseys.
Cornerback Shattle Fenteng is out for a second straight day after suffering some sort of upper body injury early in Monday's practice. Fenteng was in a green non-contact jersey, and was also observing his position group. Pruitt said Tuesday that Fenteng will be fine.

Receivers Justin Scott-Wesley (recovering from ACL surgery) and Chris Conley (unknown injury) were in green non-contact jerseys but were participating. The pair were running routes and catching passes with the rest of the receivers during passing drills.

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds