Forum

Hoops

6 years 2 weeks ago #78479 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Hoops
What the student-athletes want may become an issue too. The underclassmen (Sophomores and Freshmen) have been quite clear about what they want.

They want offensive freedom.
They want to get up and down the court.
They want Jonas Hayes on the staff.

Copied above from the internet.

Seems an awful lot was said in the three statements.

My other wish is that Greg McGarity's contract and time at Georgia is over after the current contract.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #78480 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Hoops
The more I read, the more it seems likely. I’m calling it early, Coach P will be in Athens soon.

Edit...just checking out ncaa coaching salary’s. Roy Williams needs a new agent. He won the championship last year, beat duke who had a better roster twice this year, and made the same pay as the uga coach who just got fired. And made less than the unc football coach,

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #78481 by SimpleDawg
Replied by SimpleDawg on topic Hoops
When I think of Pitino, I think of Harrick. Two coaches who win everywhere, and quickly, but a cloud of suspicion and foul aromas seem to follow. We need someone who is clean and can win. With the pool of talent in the state, a good recruiter could build a winner in a short time - especially with the returning players.

There's no reason that UGA can't have a successful basketball program. With the improvement of the conference as a whole, the SEC is no longer seen as a wasteland for coaching. Search for a smart young coach who is a proven winner and recruiter. The Xs and Os don't mean squat without the Jimmys and the Joes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #78482 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Hoops
SimpleDawg, another reason that I would like to see Jonas Hayes given a "serous" chance at the head coaching slot. Jonas was right there with Fox and our program is apparently clean. Remember well the hiring of Harrick and those around him.

Jonas Hayes knows the "territory" in Geogia, little doubt in my mind that he understands the ins and outs of recruiting top talent. Too often it is said in all coaching circles that those that have not sat in the "big seat" need time to be groomed. Not always the case. Coach can have 20 years experience at the top, that however guarantees nothing these days. Times have changed across the board., think all of us know that. However, feel that Jonas Hayes will get nothing more than a handshake and pink slip. Jonas understands well that McGarity is a problem with the program also. Agree with you that young, talented blood is needed to run our program in Athens.

articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-03-04/s...e-basketball-harrick

List of top players for 2019.
n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2019
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #78483 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Hoops
Pitino won't even SNIFF UGA . . .

Not even a MENTION, among numerous possibilities, even including the Louisville Colonels ("or whatever") . . .

www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/col...st-places/411343002/

Georgia won't pay him, players won't come here even (especially?) for him, and he wants to REPAIR his "legacy" (if that can even be done) by going somewhere and winning . . . that "somewhere" is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be UGA. My money is he lands either at Pittsburgh or DePaul.

Edit: The hot pick, if it's even POSSIBLE, would be Thad Matta, assuming his "health" has recovered. But I'm not of the opinion that UGA can attract anyone with any brand name. I'm thinking of some poor fella who's currently been sitting next to a head coach and needs that chance to take on his first team. Some assistant somewhere who needs a program he can afford to fail at (with a good excuse) before moving into the big leagues.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #78484 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Hoops
Now HERE is a hire UGA could actually make that might make some sense, if the guy really IS interested . . . Rick "Harrick" Pitino, if anything, will go "Pro" . . .

But Crean? Now THAT would be something else . . .

www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/repor...ketball-coaching-job

More
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds