Forum

GAME DAY: UGA VS OLE MISS

7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74882 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS OLE MISS
My observations from my seat today at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

Got to our seats in time to watch warmups and the team seemed to be just going through the motions. Sleepwalking if you will. Kirby, Tucker and Schumann were very vocal and active trying to get the team motivated.
Chaney just kind of stood around watching and talked a little to Eason and Lambert, kind of reminded me of an ex HC only larger. Ramsey was not there, heard later he had an injury and did not make the trip.

When they broke into groups Pittman and Rocker were very vocal trying to get their players motivated, Kirby and Tucker were working with the DB's, mostly Tucker as Kirby was moving around talking to the players trying to fire them up. Again the players had some emotion but did not seem to me to be all that motivated. The other coaches were working within thier groups, but Kirby and Tucker were the clear leaders. Chaney just kind of stood around watching. Talked to Eason maybe one more time and that was it. Not impressed with the OC.

Kirby did not seem happy the way things were going pre game. My thoughts were it was going to be a long afternoon, and man was I right.

Now onto the game itself and my observations of the players

Eason:One tough player, tougher than Murray and that is high praise as to what he had to endure, he took some really good shots and got up from them.

Chubb:Just not the same. He is one tough player but just does not seem to have that slippery element that he had prior to his injury. Has he lost a step or is he just not 100%.

WR's:Can't catch a cold in a freezer, going thru the motions, no seperation, non factors

Thompson:Double teamed all night fought hard but was not a factor.

Carter#7:Waste of talent, Floyd and Jenkins made him look good. Over plays the line of scrimmage plays blind and relies on his speed and does not THINK. Sad.

Briscoe:Plays soft and seems afraid to hit and get hit. Exposed by those big WR's.

The OL..? well y all watched on TV but I know this when Pyke and Wynn went out and Sims and Baker came in the line played BETTER. Catalina is not an SEC tackle. But then again neither is Pyke.

Cover guys were exposed by the big wr's all night and Ole Miss dominated both los's.

IMHO from watching Kirby he knows that these are not his players and he is just trying to do he best with what he has. Going to take 2-3 recruiting classes to get the team back where it needs to be.

Just my observations and the vibe I got live and in person.

The Ole Miss fans were respectful and of course very happy.

If you are ever in Oxford I recommend the Ajax Diner. Excellent food, and that was the best thing about this trip.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Getdown11, Buc, Wartdawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, SouthernDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74883 by Getdown11
Replied by Getdown11 on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS OLE MISS
Haven't posted in a while just thought I would add my $.02 and agree with everything ogredawg said.

O-Line has been a problem for ages. Nothing new here. You know there is no depth when a Rhode Island transfer can start.

Eason is a freshman. Trial by fire is always rough. Doesn't help when there isn't much help from WRs or running game.

Secondary got beat physically and that's all there is to say about that.

No pass rush. I've notice this since the beginning of the season. Agreed Carter isn't working out as well as we were hoping.

Honestly, the light schedule last season covered up most of the team deficiencies and everyone knows it. When was the last time we went 10-2 and finished unranked?

Richt left the cupboard bare. If we didn't cut him lose last year he would certainly have been gone after this season. I don't think Richt would have been able to cobble together a winning season with this group this year.

Unfortunately I don't think these problems are going to be fixed this season. Its going to take a recruiting class or 2 to begin to right the ship. I was thinking 9-3 or 8-4 this season would be good. We are going to have to toughen up and play fundamental ball from here on out to make that prediction happen.

Right now I'm just hoping we keep it competitive next week against Tenn.

It's good to hear Kirby take responsibility for a loss. I almost forgot hearing what that is like

Go Dawgs!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, Wartdawg, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

More
7 years 7 months ago #74884 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS OLE MISS
Good commentary guys. It's nice to get some more vindication about the talent that Kirby was left to work with. Jenkins and Floyd are gone from last years roster and their ability covered a multitude of defensive shortcomings. We all agree about the OL.. they were bad last year as well, but we had a fortunate schedule. Finally, everyone gushed about Chubb after the NC game but I stood up and said while his comeback was phenomenal, he was lacking the same burst he had pre-injury. That missing burst is what got him to the second level despite the OL issues, and its just not there yet. Lost in his ability to get back on the field was just how devistaying an injury it really was. He needs more time to get to full speed. We also lost MM, and having a reciever that would consistently catch the ball was huge.

We also have an attitude and culture we have to change, and that might not happen as quickly as we think it should.

The cupboard has always been thin on the OL, and it was most certainly left bare in all 3 phases of the game. This is not similar to Mac down at UF who inherited a staunch D... just missing some skill pieces on O. While it's true we still have some starting talent and we shouldn't have been beaten up like we were yesterday, we've got a depth problem as well. It is about a lot more than just starters. We lacked it last year and we lack it even more this year. KS pointed it out as soon as he got here.

Anyway... we knew this going in. All I want to see is the team moving forward. It was noted the line played a little better with the subs in, and we did run for 230. That's progress against a DL with the talent we saw Saturday. Results may not show it, but Eason learned from that game. We saw again we have some young talent at RB we need to continue to utilize. If Stanley, Chigbu, and iMac start holding on to balls, we may make some progress there as well.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 7 months ago #74885 by rockdawg
Replied by rockdawg on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS OLE MISS
Good posts. That's why I come here. Impressed with Eason too. Also thought Herrien and Holyfield showed some desire to play. CKS will right the ship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 7 months ago #74887 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS OLE MISS
Some thoughts from the players on the Ole Miss game.

The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 7 months ago #74888 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS OLE MISS
Sunday morning.....the sun came up in Athens,,,

Beautiful day....back to practice....getting ready for the

Pumpkin people..... as HC said. 24 hour rule. No time

To waste in the SEC.......Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, growl