Forum

Why Not Bauta

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #69975 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Why Not Bauta
Head coach has a week off, says that this team needs the time to heal and prepare for JAX. Buy into that.

What has me a bit bothered is all that surrounds Faton Bauta.

Let's say that the head coach/offensive coordinator choose to play Faton in JAX. Won't happen, but let's play this out.

First off Faton Bauta was brought to Athens to run a pro style offense. That is what Mark Richt teaches and those that have served under him have done also. Small variations here and there, but basically pro style. Richt comes from a pro style background, Schottenheimer same, both as players and coaches.

Faton Bauta signed on with us and knew that he would run the same offense in Athens that has been here for at least 15 years. Same basic plays, same teachers teaching same over 15 years.

If Faton was inserted into the starting quarterback position in JAX, what I hear from most of the talking heads is, Faton is a running quarterback.

At this late date, can't change the play calling in one off week. Makes no sense. What has to happen to do that? The offensive line has to get away from many or most of the blocking engagements that they have used since arriving in Athens.

Running backs, even though many played in different spread offenses, call them anything you want, but not pro style this day and time. Changes the running backs running and blocking assignments. Ball fakes have to be really good and that takes serious practice time. Not accomplished in an off week.

From where I sit, Faton Bauta has been a great team player. If the head coach and offensive coordinator should insert Faton into the starting role or extra duty, wonder just how much any of us could expect from Faton. Many of us have said that Faton Bauta knows this offense “better” . . . . I said that, than the other two playing the position.

Jim McElwain is a very good head coach. Faton Bauta starts or plays for any length of time, he is aware of Faton's capabilities. Some coaches actually do their homework, much like the Boy Scouts “Be Prepared” theme, they prepare.

I would love to see Faton play, just feel he is behind the eight ball at this point. He has done everything expected of him to do, and more. Just a bad “coaching choice” Faton, not a bad college choice, maybe some of us will get to see the change in head coaches. Would not bet the farm on that either for the near future.

Our head coach has hitched his wagon to Eason and nothing or no one will prevent him from staying at least four more years.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #69977 by ReservoirDawg
Replied by ReservoirDawg on topic Why Not Bauta
Buc you're 100% correct(as always ;) )

Though IMO, After the way we've seen this team play over the past 3 weekends, even if they're sick, beaten up, etc. This team needs to use the WHOLE 2 weeks to prepare.

If they're hurtin' they can still be out there on the field going thru walk-thru's without pads or whatever.

The HC and his minions don't need to take time away. They need to prepare NOT to get their a55es handed to 'em in Jax.

or then again, maybe taking time off may build character. :dry: Hell I dunno...

DM<

More
8 years 6 months ago #69979 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Why Not Bauta
Great, great points Buc.

When I mentioned the Bauta switch before, I wasn't referring to changing the offensive scheme to a zone read offense or even partially changing it. As you stated, not possible in 2 weeks etc.

I just felt Bauta could run the normal offense but has that escapability (since our OL is porous at times) that when nobody is open he could use his running ability. UF had alot of trouble with Dobbs doing that several times..... plus you could run a few QB draws to slow down the pass rush.....fake an inside play and Bauta keep it around the outside etc.....not as a zone read play but a planned play.

He would just add a few more things to the offense that maybe UF wouldn't have prepared for.....or if McElwain did suspect or prepare a little for Bauta, that's simply more for their D to think about.

UT had success doing that and if UF has any D weakness, it's against the run.....especially against a QB that has legs.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, growl, ReservoirDawg

More
8 years 6 months ago #69980 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Why Not Bauta
Richt preaches respect but Damned if he shows respect.

No wonder we lose games we should win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, ReservoirDawg

More
8 years 6 months ago #69981 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Why Not Bauta
I believe that the dumbest idiot who ever lived would still yank his hand back off of a hot stove.

In my HUMBLEST of opinions, there has to be a pretty depressing reason we aren't seeing Bauta play at all. Lambert > Ramsey > Bauta. That HAS to be it . . . otherwise, Richt isn't just proud or stupid . . . he's certifiably insane and masochistic.

I'm not ruling anything out, mind you.

More
8 years 6 months ago #69983 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Why Not Bauta
wlayton, sometimes (often) what is on my mind when I start a post does not finish as I intended.

Totally understood what you were saying, and I agree.

ReservoirDawg, not a doubt in my mind that McElwain is going to "turn up the heat" on Lambert. Will not be surprised to see him sending that "extra rusher". He understands from film study and scouting reports that Lambert cannot go through his entire "read" when there is "any heat". Scary thing also about the gators, they can play a man short in the defensive backfield, they are very good.

Here is where I have a problem with our offensive "play calling" coaches. So many think that a quarterback has to throw one or two short passes to get into a "rhythm". That might hold true for some, but that is not necessarily the truth.

Reflect back to AM, the quarterback that the media said had no arm past 15 or 20 yards. Many games that I watched (all of them) both high school and college, AM would open up spinning (a term that talking heads like to use) the ball well past 20 or 30 yards.

Goose, if it were me calling the plays, going to "spin the ball" ;) with Lambert at quarterback . . . . going downfield on a fly or what ever anyone wants to call the route, post, anything . . . . Lambert likes to "look in" a receiver and let it "rip", a new word in the past two years with Richt/Bobo. Thinking primarily about Davis in the Tennessee game. Stop this "Bubble Spit" that comes from one thing . . . . a lack of "faith" in the offensive play calling attached to a players abilities.

wlayton, have enjoyed golf in 2014/2015 more than I have in many years. Wish I could still play effectively, but sure having a good time with the young men on the tour now. Like you, I love the game, think I had mentioned to you back when that I spent many rounds on East Lake in the 1970's. Could always feel the presence of Bobby Jones everytime is teed 'er up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds