Forum

Who's really pulling for the Gators?

17 years 5 months ago #2548 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Who's really pulling for the Gators?
I thought he was absolutely brilliant in his play calling against UF. They had no idea what he was going to do next. USC really should have won that game, they outplayed UF that day.

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #2549 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Re: Who's really pulling for the Gators?
as that I neither intend to root for or against either team! I've often found it interesting when conversations regarding bowls, teams, rivals and conferences begin. What is often missed in the translation is that everything stated; this thread included, is nothing more than opinion. IMVHO, I am no more or no less a Dawg because of my opinions about our rivals. Likewise, I am no more or no less an SEC fan for the very same reason. Last time I checked that great big glass football contained absoultely no reference to which conference the winner resided. Perhaps I'm naive, but I doubt that Vince Young gave .02 of concern toward his "conference" as he raised that trophy above his head! That win was for the U of Texas and no other. Sure, a case could be made that any conference rival shares tangentially from the success of a MNC winner! With all due respect, however, to suggest it illogical to oppose said rival because it might affect opinions regarding the conference as a whole??? Sorry, that dawg won't hunt!

I found this thread posted on another dawg board and it made me stop and think. Sure, there are always exceptions to the rule and I consider GatorinGa an exceptional UF fan. Nonetheless, read the words written by Dawg151, it may make you stop and think yourself.........

Subject: If you're thinking about pulling for Florida...
Posted by: Dawg151 on Mon Dec 4 2006 4:50:38 PM
...then you may want to consider this:

Think about the way you feel towards Georgia Tech fans. When you
think about Tech or their fans, you probably immediately think about
the fact that we've beaten them 6 years in a row and have won 13 out
of the last 16. You probably feel that their football program is
inferior in every single way to our own and when it comes to their
fans, you don't pay them much attention because they really have
nothing to say that can upset you. After all, Georgia owns Georgia Tech.

Well, Florida fans feel the exact same way about you...and, if we're
being honest, Florida owns Georgia more than Georgia owns Georgia
Tech! Georgia Tech has beaten Georgia more often than Georgia has
beat Florida over the same time period. Heck, Vanderbilt has beaten
Georgia more often than Georgia has beaten Florida over the same time
period. When a Florida fan sees you or talks to you, he thinks
everything you think about a Tech fan, except this time, he's thinking
it about our University of Georgia. He feels that UGA is inferior in
every single way to UF...and when it comes to Georgia fans, he really
doesn't care what we have to say. After all, Florida owns
Georgia...and now Florida is playing in the national championship
game. They are on the game's biggest stage. All the focus is on them
and their program. To make it even better for Florida fans, they are
one win away from owning both the men's football and basketball
championships in the same calendar year! Yup, those Florida fans look
straight down their noses at us "poodles" and they laugh at us every
chance they get (and they normally get a chance every single year
around Halloween). They don't respect Georgia. In fact, they
probably think Georgia is one big joke...

...just like we call Tech "the Joke by Coke".

Think about all that when you're rooting for your SEC "brethren".

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto

More
17 years 5 months ago #2550 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Who's really pulling for the Gators?
NC_Dawg, that pretty much sums it up why I can't EVER pull for UF.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 5 months ago #2551 by GatorinGA
Replied by GatorinGA on topic Re: Who's really pulling for the Gators?
Wow, way to many posts to respond to. I do know that this is all in fun and I am in no way offended by anyone here. I enjoy getting the point of view from the fan of the enemy and to my surprise, most of you are not as biased as I would have thought. Telling it like it is without prejudice. I respect that.

As for my comment regarding hating the Gators more than you love the Dawgs... This obviously only applies to some and I am unfairly throwing in comments made by co-workers and friends over the years who ALWAYS want the Gators to loose. That's just not the right attitude if you really love the Bulldogs. Heck I want the Dawgs to win every single game except one. I want all of the SEC to do the same as it helps the Gators, the team that I love. I cannot hate another team to a point that it is ultimately detrimental to the Gators. As many posters have pointed out, an SEC victory in the NC will be good for all teams in the SEC. I get goose bumbs when I see the SEC comercials on TV and pity the rest of the country that just doesn't get it. So Gator win = good for the Dawgs and Gator loss = not so good for the Dawgs. You just have to decide if you love the Dawgs enough to root for the Gators in the bowl games. As for affect on recruiting, the Gators already take care of that at the end of October every year so it's a mute point. :lol:

The two teams I dislike the most in the SEC are Auburn and Alabama but I still root for them in the bowls.

More
17 years 5 months ago #2552 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Who's really pulling for the Gators?
I understand NC_dawgs post but I have other factors at play. I have been in a fantasy football league and a college football voting forum for years now and many of these people are Big Ten fans. I have been carrying the banner for the SEC for years with these guys. Almost every year the SEC waxes the Big Ten in bowl games to prove my point but never on a stage this big. From my personal standpoint it will provide me with more ammo if ANY SEC team beats a Big Ten team so that is how I root. I do not think ill of Tech fans either. Some one has to fix my computer when it is broken.

My perspective may be different than others. My partner at work is an OSU alum and I do not know if I could work with her if OSU wins.

On a different note...I have participated in a poll for the last few years. One of my IT buddies created a poll that allows fans to vote just like the AP poll. It also has an attached forum for discussion and trash talking. It is run in Columbus Ohio and has a huge Big Ten / Notre Dame / middle of America / midwest girls are fat an ugly slant. I would love to get some of these people involved in here to broaden the opinions offered. I will discuss with the admin guy.

Anyone interested?

More
17 years 5 months ago #2553 by GatorinGA
Replied by GatorinGA on topic Re: Who's really pulling for the Gators?

..When a Florida fan sees you or talks to you, he thinks everything you think about a Tech fan, except this time, he's thinking
it about our University of Georgia. He feels that UGA is inferior in
every single way to UF...and when it comes to Georgia fans, he really
doesn't care what we have to say. After all, Florida owns
Georgia...and now Florida is playing in the national championship
game. They are on the game's biggest stage. All the focus is on them
and their program. To make it even better for Florida fans, they are
one win away from owning both the men's football and basketball
championships in the same calendar year! Yup, those Florida fans look
straight down their noses at us "poodles" and they laugh at us every
chance they get (and they normally get a chance every single year
around Halloween). They don't respect Georgia. In fact, they
probably think Georgia is one big joke...

That was a great post.
I guess I'm different then.
To me, the most gut wrenching Gator games every year are Georgia, FSU and Tennessee (in that order). If I was so convinced that Georgia was just a bunch of poodles, then I would not feel that way. Maybe it's because I know that the streak will end some day and the I will be drenched in smack talk. I will never forget that after our loss in '97, the game was replayed on TV and radio the following day. Every time I walk into a local fan shop and see a photo of a Dawgs victory over the Gators I say to myself, "let me guess, it's a photo from '97, right?"

I don't look down on UGA or it's fans but have to admit that I absolutley cannot accept any smack from them and trust me, I get so much of it that! Right now, I have a friend that insists that the Gators cannot really be considered the SEC Champs because they were loosing in the 3rd quarter to Arkansas. Are you kidding me???

More
Time to create page: 0.032 seconds