Forum

What Now

8 years 6 months ago #69623 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic What Now
Bruce Feldman calls it like it is . . . . . most of the time.

Feldman is saying things like . . . . just what the hell is Georgia doing?

Someone, even those that don't want to see Mark Richt leave Athens, please tell me why Mark Richt should remain as head coach.

Mark Richt cannot move a very talented group of young men past 8.5 wins every year over a period of time. A long time.

Are you comfortable with that?

Not looking for a internet fight, just asking a simple question.

Want to talk?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #69625 by Buc
Throw this out . . . .

Florida (gators) have hired a head coach. Last stop, Colorado State.
McElwain moved that program "forward". Any doubts that the newly hired head coach has improved the gators program?

Is there "anyone" on this board that would have bet the farm on the gators being 5-0 at this point? Be honest with yourself and the board. Would you believe 5-0 after five games for the gators?

Let's get on the same page. Georgia can run the football. Georgia cannot pass the football against "competition", real competition. First four games the press, AJC, and others tried to trick the UGA "faithful" into believing we would make any team in the SEC not wanting to play us. If Alabama had wanted to put more points on the board than they did, they would have. Don't buy that, stay away from this post.

Please tell me what needs to be done to play SEC Football.

More
8 years 6 months ago #69626 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic What Now
Here's a perspective from a (former) CMR-Koolaid Drinker.

Vince Dooley was a legend, but a legend much in the way Vanilla Ice was a musician. A one-trick pony. VD won the NC in 80/81 and rode off into the sunset as the be-all, end-all of Georgia coaching. However, outside of that historic year, Vince did little for Georgia. Let's be hones, Georgia was mediocre under Vince Dooley, much in the way Georgia is mediocre under CMR. A realization that comes to some of us slower than it does to others is that greatness is about more than winning mere games. Sure, we can thump out 9 win seasons with regularity, but so what? Do we want to be a Pac school, or an ACC school? No. We want to be counted amongst giants. In this we fall apart because despite our impressive season-to-season production, it gets us exactly nothing. No SEC East championships. No SEC championships. Not even a sniff at the national championship while other schools bask in the glory of greatness.

I once thought that a great winning percentage was enough, that it was a salve to the wound of nothingness that, in reality, is the Georgia football program. That reality, sadly, has to include the fact that, without any trophies, without any prestige, we are merely a good second-tier program. Until somebody steps up and guides these kids to greatness, we can only claim the championship of "Also Ran."

Mark Richt is not our guy. That actually hurts me to say, but it is a proven fact. So what if we've had 11 win seasons? What did it produce? So what if we have talent by the bushel? Did we make the NC game? NO. No and no. And it will be "NO" every season that CMR is at the helm of this program. He's a good coach, a great man, but he lacks something that would allow him to take the program to the upper echelon of college football. I don't know diddly about the X's and O's of football, but I know that when a team is a lock for the Capital One Bowl EVERY SINGLE YEAR, the program is lacking something important.

What I asked myself recently is this: Would Saban, Miles or Meyer have squandered the potential of the talent we've accumulated at Georgia? Not a chance. Added to this insult is the fact that the Alabama team we faced last Saturday was the lesser talented of the two teams. It just happened to be the better coached team. So the chips fall as they should and it now becomes so painfully apparent that all we have is a good coach managing great talent down to good talent. This is why I cannot foresee anything in Georgia's future until we get a coach will that "it" factor that takes greatness and maintains it throughout the season. Don't get me wrong. We will be "good" under CMR, but good isn't enough. Georgia should be great. Greatness is what Georgia football was built to be, but we cannot achieve greatness until our coaching is equal to the level of talent we have, somehow, accumulated at Georgia.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, averagedawg

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #69628 by Buc

LimeyDawg wrote: Here's a perspective from a (former) CMR-Koolaid Drinker.

Vince Dooley was a legend, but a legend much in the way Vanilla Ice was a musician. A one-trick pony. VD won the NC in 80/81 and rode off into the sunset as the be-all, end-all of Georgia coaching. However, outside of that historic year, Vince did little for Georgia. Let's be hones, Georgia was mediocre under Vince Dooley, much in the way Georgia is mediocre under CMR. A realization that comes to some of us slower than it does to others is that greatness is about more than winning mere games. Sure, we can thump out 9 win seasons with regularity, but so what? Do we want to be a Pac school, or an ACC school? No. We want to be counted amongst giants. In this we fall apart because despite our impressive season-to-season production, it gets us exactly nothing. No SEC East championships. No SEC championships. Not even a sniff at the national championship while other schools bask in the glory of greatness.

I once thought that a great winning percentage was enough, that it was a salve to the wound of nothingness that, in reality, is the Georgia football program. That reality, sadly, has to include the fact that, without any trophies, without any prestige, we are merely a good second-tier program. Until somebody steps up and guides these kids to greatness, we can only claim the championship of "Also Ran."

Mark Richt is not our guy. That actually hurts me to say, but it is a proven fact. So what if we've had 11 win seasons? What did it produce? So what if we have talent by the bushel? Did we make the NC game? NO. No and no. And it will be "NO" every season that CMR is at the helm of this program. He's a good coach, a great man, but he lacks something that would allow him to take the program to the upper echelon of college football. I don't know diddly about the X's and O's of football, but I know that when a team is a lock for the Capital One Bowl EVERY SINGLE YEAR, the program is lacking something important.

What I asked myself recently is this: Would Saban, Miles or Meyer have squandered the potential of the talent we've accumulated at Georgia? Not a chance. Added to this insult is the fact that the Alabama team we faced last Saturday was the lesser talented of the two teams. It just happened to be the better coached team. So the chips fall as they should and it now becomes so painfully apparent that all we have is a good coach managing great talent down to good talent. This is why I cannot foresee anything in Georgia's future until we get a coach will that "it" factor that takes greatness and maintains it throughout the season. Don't get me wrong. We will be "good" under CMR, but good isn't enough. Georgia should be great. Greatness is what Georgia football was built to be, but we cannot achieve greatness until our coaching is equal to the level of talent we have, somehow, accumulated at Georgia.

Reading this post, insures me that one board member is a believer in progress.

LimeyDawg, nothing that I can say other than, the truth is the truth. We are "stuck" in the "problems of the past".

You are so right, we are not a "first division" D1 football team under Mark Richt.

Amazes me the "silence" from some. What does it take for "purists" to understand that UGA is not "all that". Nothing to do with "player talent and depth" has to do with a lack of "Leadership". If we remain in the same "mold" for 15 more years, many will say the same thing . . . How the hell did you miss the 32 or 40 out. I know that you understand that. Mark Richt could not hit either number and it has been proven in "competition". I truly believe that is his problem.

Go Dawgs . . . .

More
8 years 6 months ago #69630 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic What Now
I dont care about NC's. I've always said win the SEC and the NC thing will play itself out. So I don't really care that it took VD 17 years to win one.

First of all. I'll say it again; if we don't win the SEC championship this year, it will be the second longest SEC championship drought in school HISTORY.

Second, VD's UGA was not the UGA of today. We were not top 5 on putting players in the NFL and we were not generally loaded with 4 and 5 star guys. Yeah Richt gets those guys here, but he doesn't do anything with them. Dooley and his staff, got the most out of the least, not the least out of the most.

VD's teams were thought of as over-achievers most of the time and I never remember being ashamed and embarrassed every single year by UGA performances during those first 20 years of Dooley's Dawgs. Yeah we shouldn't have lost some games... shouldn't have lost to PSU and Pitt in 83 and 82, but those were heartbreakers, not heart-shaker blowouts.

I just wish people stop with defending Richt's propensity to wet the bed every year. Just wish they would say they are happy to have a 9-10 win sort of team and leave it at that.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bpatters69

More
8 years 6 months ago #69631 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic What Now
" Let's be honest, Georgia was mediocre under Vince Dooley, much in the way Georgia is mediocre under CMR."

Yes, let's be honest. We are mediocre now in a completely different way than the way we were mediocre then.
;)

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds