Forum

Monday Morning Water Cooler - 75 days Out

8 years 10 months ago #68138 by Buc
I think along these lines . . . .

When you accept an incumbent you are perpetuating our team as it is now.

Nothing will change.

I will add this. If Mark Richt had for example a chance at one point to coach Alabama, or others, ended up with the same record he has now, would be impossible to say he lasted for 15 years on the job and with extensions of time and money.

Would another university hire Mark Richt? I have no doubts that he would be hired the next day if that situation arose. As you say, some universities would love to win 9/10 games a year. Other side of that coin . . . . would they be content with records that did not reach the 9/10 level? Would they be happy with the game played in Memphis, Tennessee against UCF. This has been going on for a long time.

Question LimeyDawg. What has happened in Athens that has moved fan approval forward? Losing to Tech, South Carolina and Florida, or . . . . Coaching changes? Another area that Mark Richt has had a serious problem with . . . . hiring competent coaches. Not mentioning that other very serious “flaw” that occurs each year costing us wins.

I certainly believe that there is enough talent in Athens to win the SEC East. My confidence sags when I look at the mistakes that continue to occur when a crucial decision needs to be made.

Living in Florida you probably witnessed the happenings when the folks that make final decisions in Tallahassee said it was time for Bobby Bowden to leave. Much of the fan base was more than pissed. Today what is the feeling of the FSU fans about the coaching change? Point being . . . . It worked for Alabama, worked for FSU . . . . think it could work in Athens? What is so different about our situation when compared with the two mentioned above?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #68139 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - 75 days Out
I want a HC that will have UGA compete for the SEC and NC on a consistent basis. Is that to much to ask. Can that actually be said in the last 7 years other than the "5 yards away" loss a few years ago. 1 year out of 7 is just not consistent enough at least for me. Yet the CMR apologist say yes 1 out of 7 and a good w/l is great coach.

I want a HC that plays the best players and does not reward longevity because he feels bound to.

I want a HC to prepare for when certain position players are going to leave and not wait for a high school player to come and save us.

Typical to bring up w/l record to apologize for a HC who is inconsistent in bringing any type of championship other than the East and who is also inconsistent in playing the best players just because longevity.

Typical to bring up w/l record when the HC MAKES STOOPID play calls.

Typical of a CMR apologist.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68140 by Buc
And this . . . .

My thoughts are those that play with the money everyday think along these lines for a reason.

Does the group on this board think that we have enough talent along with home field advantage to do what VD did many years ago against the Bear?

This is of course "stuff" but . . . .

bamahammer.com/2015/06/26/alabama-footba...t-one-game-for-2015/
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68141 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - 75 days Out
Limey makes a good arguement.

There are way too many variables involved in winning the SEC or NC. Way too many. Lots and lots of details that have to come together. Of course you have to add in MR decisions, good or bad.

All feelings aside, MR is the coach for next season. I will be watching for a 'coaching management team' improvement. Now and during the season. No excuses or I will be his worst critic.

Here's to you CMR. Now get to work.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• stevedawg
  • stevedawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • DAWGS.com moderator
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68142 by Buc
stevedawg, there is no escaping the fact that we have a head coach that will remain in Athens for the remainder of his contract.

That was stamped with the "approval stamp" some time back. Filed.

My estimation the single biggest hurdle that we (UGA) have to clear is understanding what "depth" means. Many of the new coaching arrivals learned from a coach that is now putting finishing touches on his 2017 football recruiting.

Some of the same is going on in Athens, but it did not start with our head coach. Until the new hires moved to Athens, never did I hear words like this coming from the Classic City . . . . "Want to play on Saturday, a week of practice decides that". Freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, makes no difference.

Folks the missing link has been "Leadership". That comes from those that don't fully understand the value of the word.

Like this comment or not, it is the truth. Nick Saban understands how to prepare a football team to play on Saturdays. Started at Alabama with his hiring Kirby Smart. Our head coach has failed miserably in that area. This is our fourth defensive coordinator since 2001.

Say this again, been around longer than some. If you don't play defense in the SEC, pack it up and go home. Punting not up to par . . . . why? Four quarterbacks in Athens and not one is being singled out. Remember this . . . . the quarterbacks that are in Athens had to get the offer finalized by Mark Richt. The same Mark Richt that played one position his entire football playing days . . . . quarterback.

Must add this. Nick Saban never played the quarterback position. Alabama having problems at quarterback? Did notice that their offensive coordinator "did not get a raise" this season. That in my mind is "leadership". Want the money, "produce".

Head coach in Athens got a raise. Defy anyone to tell me that it was deserved. What bowl game did we participate in? Were the talking heads at the beginning of last season saying Georgia would be in the Final Four?

I ask myself one question. Why were we in the Belk Bowl? Answer, because we lost games to South Carolina, Florida and Georgia Tech. If at the beginning of last season who on this board would have come close to suggesting those three losses on a schedule that many of the talking heads nation wide said we had much tougher opponents than those three.

Support Georgia Football, silly question. Support those that "cripple" Georgia Football, guess I got lost, just like the Railroad Tracks and great tradition seems to have fallen by the wayside. I don't support a plan that has no "leadership" or a "leader".

Bet this . . . . SS comes to play between the Hedges, usually has a "plan". Alabama comes on October third, Nick Saban "always" has a "plan". We answer a "lot" of "questions" after South Carolina and Alabama.

I have to say this. So Jacob Eason comes to town and does not improve our standing in the "Football World" not just those that agree to the "two year plan". We have been on a "two year plan" for how long? That is a question that those who believe in the "game plan" in Athens need to fill me in on.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAWGtm

More
8 years 10 months ago #68143 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - 75 days Out
I doubt seriously that there is no plan for Scar and Bama. The question is really one of "will it be the right plan?" I'm also pretty sure that raises are part of the contractual agreements between schools and coaches. So as far as raises go...maybe it's in the contract. On the other hand, our statistics heavy sport has a great many metrics to define performance. Meh.

Remember when we were complaining about Willie? How he seemed tenured because of his friendship with CMR? Back then I believe a great deal of the talk was about the change that needs to happen when performance suffers, and so we lost Willie only to gain TG. Where did that get us? A great many here have also been critical of Bobo, forgetting that his play calling scored a ton of points for us. I wonder where the discussion will fall if the scoring declines, if we get away from the run or using the TEs ala Georgia football. Actually, I know exactly where the discussion will go.

I happen to think that there is a great deal of luck that needs to happen to make a great season. Auburn, anyone? We have great talent, but so does everyone else. We have great coaches. Same. Great fans. We are positioned to make a run every year, but somehow injuries, poor play calling, poor play, poor off-field decisions seem to bite us in the ass. I suppose that, intrinsically, it's easy to blame CMR for all of this, but there is so much beyond his control that I have a hard time swallowing that argument. I noticed that nobody bit on my question as to who it was they thought could come into Athens and immediately fix the huge problems some see in this program. Of course, many of these folks were ready to anoint Todd Grantham as the second coming of Erk when he arrived.

It's Georgia ball. It is what it is. High expectations and great plans meet the reality of battle. June is passing into July. I'll look forward to Fall, follow my Dawgs as always and forever. Things will go our way, things won't. We'll win, we'll lose, and the sun rises the next day. I'm certainly not smart enough to have all the answers as to why we don't win the National Championship every year. Perhaps all we need is a coaching change and all of you are correct. After all, these guys are out there in packs, chomping at the bit to come to Athens and show us what CMR has been doing wrong all these years. Right? So simple. So simple.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

More
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds