Forum

Monday Morning Water Cooler - 75 days Out

8 years 10 months ago #68110 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - 75 days Out
yd1, you make a good point - Seattle "did it" too.

video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A...Av&fr=yfp-t-304&tt=b

Some Seahawks fan ain't forgetting that one for a long time. Difference is, they have a Super Bowl Championship to show in their last two seasons.

But you are right - the ball bounces funny. No telling what "woulda-coulda-shoulda" happened. I still say I could have gotten us a TD against the 'Cocks and the Jackets.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #68111 by Buc
Think that this fits in this discussion.

Reading other boards, often come across the word "hater/haters" in some of the posts. Usually that refers to those of us that are not in step with our football program and the way it is being handled/ran.

First off I don't hate Mark Richt.

If I were in a position to either retain his services or do otherwise . . . . Mark Richt would not continue to be my head coach. Football is one of the stops in my life that I learned many things about "life". Mark Richt does some things well, but they however do not fit the uniform he has worn for 15 years . . . . if we are talking about football expertise. He was a coach for many years in Tallahassee, the job that he filled worked well for him and for FSU.

When Mark Richt arrived in Athens, soon it appeared that he was an up and coming college head coach. In my mind that has not happened, that however does not make me a "hater". Anyone that can look at the "overall record" both coaching and hiring assistants, moving the ball forward in Athens so that the "core group" of fans are satisfied, hard for me to understand the use of the word "hater" by those that think otherwise. Actually I do understand, in my private life I refer to them as "dumb asses".

Greg McGarity was an assistant athletic director for Jeremy Foley in Florida. An assistant for 10 years. Reason for that . . . . no other college wanted his services. All any of us have to do is track what he has accomplished during his time in Athens. Appears a simple case of the folks that "run the show" intend to keep a closely guarded "Good Old Boy Group" together. Money has been good, has been "closely guarded" by McGarity. M&M rides up, money comes with the SEC Network contract, all of a sudden we go from "no Indoor Practice Facility" to what . . . . a 30 million dollar facility. Think about this . . . . McGarity does not have any skin in the game, what was it he did to bring the SEC Network into being? Those that run the show in Athens "select carefully". Sometimes they get embarrassed by the color "Red" that fits under a dress.

Comes down to those that like to use the word "hater". They pretend to understand football, actually they don't understand football well enough to realize that 15 years in the same position has proven their argument or disagreement is what keeps UGA Football where it has been for far too long. Say again . . . . Alabama hired Saban. Florida hired meyer. Results? This is what I know and have read for far too long on blogs . . . . those that use the word "hater" do not understand the word "RESULTS".

Do I believe that Mark Richt is a good man . . . . yes. Do I believe he is a top notch head football coach. No.

Greg McGarity, seond string at best, that is why he remained under Jeremy Foley for 10 years.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 10 months ago #68112 by growl
Replied by growl on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - 75 days Out
The ones using the word "hater" must have a limited vocabulary and can't think of a better word to describe their guess at someone else's feelings.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, thriller, Buc, yankeedawg1

More
8 years 10 months ago #68113 by Buc
growl, too much in my opinion could have happened in Athens that is yet to be accomplished. Only going to get tougher in my estimation. Lots of "benefits" for young men choosing to play college football. Even though less than one percent of the players will ever play in the NFL, there are other benefits that make for a good life . . . . it requires getting an education. Understand that working out and staying in shape to play college football is work. However, those that do that and don't make it to the NFL are far ahead of those that did not get that scholarship.

I just look for, maybe I should say, I continue to look for a light at the end of the tunnel.

Do believe that positive strides have been made, but it has been a long process. Do not feel that the job is complete.

I also watch coaches come and go from programs like Alabama, seems they just plug in the newcomer and move on. Those calling folks "haters" are the same ones that think Saban is "Satan". Saban was and is being paid to do one thing, win football games. If he has cheated to the extent that some describe him as doing . . . . why does he continue to "get away with it"?

In a way Pruitt has himself in a position of having to do a lot. Don't care about his past. At UGA he is being paid handsomely, he selects those that coach on defense. He is responsible in a way for the IPF moving forward . . . . that will require he stays for a spell if those at the "Top" don't interfere with what he is trying to do. Might be that he won't be "all that" but I sure as heck like what he has done on the recruiting trail in less than two years.

When I compare Pruitt and grantham, I usually come down to this. grantham much like Richt was out of his element as a Defensive Coordinator at Cleveland and at Georgia. Dallas Cowboys had him figured right . . . . defensive line coach. Richt as I mentioned above, out classed by too many, even in the SEC, not having to mention other conferences.

2015 will allow us more insight into where our program is. I see a lot of talented players that need to be "convinced" and "coached up". HW said that, I am in agreement.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, thriller, yankeedawg1, growl

More
8 years 10 months ago #68114 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Monday Morning Water Cooler - 75 days Out
"Hata's gonna Hate"!

I've had numerous conversations with fans satisfied with our middle of the road approach to conference superiority and to them it all boils down to this! Reminds me of the political "arena" where there is likewise precious little room for anything other than the polar opposite! I don't hate CMR and do not believe I've written anything that could be misconstrued as hate. CMR has accomplished a great deal since coming to the Classic City. He will be heralded in the UGA record books and lore next to greats like Dooley and Butts. However, do NOT believe he has what it takes to turn the final corner. Moreover, I do NOT believe he is interested in the least in turning that final corner. Rather I believe he has fashioned a comfortable niche for himself and with his record, forever endeared himself to the vast majority of the fan base that isn't anxious to see the days of Goff and DoNut return.

Then there is the "fear" factor tossed in by CMR supporters over "WHO" could/would we get to replace him! Based largely on our own messy experience with hiring the two noted above, there are ample examples where matters were actually made worse. So much easier to place your faith in CMR, accept the regularity of W/L record and await for the day that Lady Luck smiles on us once again!...Assimilate.....Resistance is futile!......

As much as I want our program to rival the traditions and history of those icon programs we hear mentioned with great regularity, the reality is we won't as long as CMR is our coach! That opportunity passed several seasons ago and CMR has made it abundantly clear that superiority takes a back seat to directing the lives of young athletes.

I appreciate all the discussions on whether we are aligning the proper coaches and talented players to make that final run, to turn that final corner. Call me jaded, but I've been to this rodeo before! I do believe we will likely make a run at the conference championship before CMR hangs it up, but it will likely be a run based on backing into the game, rather than squeezing the life from our eastern opponents! Likewise, our name will be mentioned as a contender for the final four, but I don't expect that to actually occur. This is what I see going forward.....we will be good, not great!

If that is hating, then I stand accused!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, ogredawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
8 years 10 months ago #68115 by Buc
Seems most that write articles about our football team say much the same thing, regardless of the area of the country they are from or represent.

Hard to get past the obvious, when reading what others have to say.

Spurrier has some of my attention at this time. Here is a coach that really made his name when taking over the head coaching job for the gators. Younger at that point, full of piss and vinegar, open to playing football differently than others that came before him. Spurrier changed gator football, no ifs, ands or buts. Success led him to leave the gators and take over the Washington Redskin job. That did not work out well. Returns to college football, many in Florida wanting him to return to Gainesville . . . . one problem, Athletic Director Jeremy Foley did not want Spurrier back. South Carolina made the move and he again became a headache for us.

Beginning to think that Spurrier has the same problem that many head coaches do, they begin to age and college football this day and time requires a lot of "energy". I believe that the same sort of problem exists in Athens at the "Top". Difference in what has happened in Athens as opposed to Columbia is the hiring of young coaches that have "energy". College football is no different than the business world, it often comes down to how you "relate".

Relating seemed to be a problem with Garner, not keeping arranged meetings with players. grantham wanted the players to come to him, could not get off of his butt and cover the area that he described as being "loaded" with talent, talent that would bring on bigger and better things.

Much of what I read these days are players talking to coaches and one of the words they use is "relating".

McGarity was very "loud" when he said to Mark Richt . . . . stop this, stop that, concentrate on football. One thing that McGarity understood was Georgia Football was and is the cash cow. McGarity arrived in Athens in 2010, had the above to say to Richt . . . . What has changed? My answer to that is this . . . . New life was hired, now going into the second year, and the talent level has actually improved, not to say that there has not been a lot of talent in Athens, check the NFL, lots of representatives from Georgia.

Some say we lose as many as four games this season. Wonder what that would do to those that like to call folks like myself a "hater". My answer to that is this . . . . Simple minds normally remain simple.

"Stuff" that I think about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds