Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughs

9 years 4 days ago #67431 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
DawgDoc. Always good to hear your thought.... Right as rain....

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 days ago #67432 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
DawgDoc, Your comcast email is bouncing. Please send new address to editor at dawgs dot com.
:(

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.

9 years 4 days ago #67433 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
While some improvement has been made since Grantham has left there is still room for improvement on the D side. The talent is there, no doubt about that. Now the coaches have to step up and utilize that talent. I unlike others here have my doubts that the coaches now in place will do just that. In other words they have to prove to me that I am wrong and I hope they do. Schott coming from NFL is just that a former NFL coach wanting to try his hand at something different then the grind of the pros who have huge egos and coaching college players should be easier. His results were not all that spectacular but enough to keep a job. Maybe college will be his actual calling and he will do well. Again I hope so but I will only base it on results on the field of play, not by what the media or others write. The only saviors of UGA football are the players who love their team and leave it all on the field.

thecountrynation.com

More
9 years 4 days ago - 9 years 4 days ago #67434 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughs
Schott coming from NFL is just that a former NFL coach wanting to try his hand at something different then the grind of the pros who have huge egos and coaching college players should be easier.

Lifted the above from ogredawg's post, took me back to several years worth of memories.

Watched Nick Saban become a very successful college football coach, that was after leaving the NFL the first time around.

Saban previously served as head coach of the National Football League's Miami Dolphins and three other universities . . . . Louisiana State University, Michigan State University, and the University of Toledo.

Saban was Belichick’s defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns, before moving on to the head coaching job at Michigan State and college football.

Not satisfied he took on the job with the Miami Dolphins, returning to the NFL. Mistake, huge mistake. As ogredawg mentioned above when referring to Schottenheimer, once these players hit the NFL ranks, their lives change and quite frankly many of the players who started with BMOC attitudes in high school, ease up sometimes in college and then return to high school form once they hit the big payday. Not saying all, some. Anyone reading this can probably name more than a handful of players in the NFL that actually "ruin" head coaches and assistant coaches livelihoods. Fact.

There was a lot of talk recently about Saban returning to the Cleveland Browns. Media hype, again. Nick Saban is a coach that has to have and will have "complete control" over his coaching duties. Any player wanting to advance to the NFL, if they play for Saban, they will either conform "totally" to Saban's way or . . . . there is the highway. Saban slipped again when he allowed Taylor, ex-UGA football player another chance, not a second chance as described by the media. Who is counting right . . . . win at all costs, or start looking for employment . . . . ask Muschamp and others.

Brings me back to Mark Richt. Head coach has said time and again that he will retire from football after his coaching days are over in Athens. One thing to be said for Mark Richt, he recognized what Saban had gone through, and others such as Bobby Bowden, his mentor. Mark Richt would be chopped liver in the NFL . . . . just like Nick Saban was.

I like the movement in Athens recently. grantham gone. Folks like Thomas Brown returning.

There will be games in the 2015 Season that will have many of us on this board "howling" about coaching decisions. This is where ogredawg and I basically come together . . . . Kick the football, and soon after "all of us will have an opinion" about our coaches, players and the Athletic Department.

Schottenheimer is our offensive coordinator, said before as many here have . . . . Richt leave him alone, how else will we be able to sort out whether or not "Schotty" is/was right for the job.

DawgDoc, you were not ignored, believe it was said that there would be more names mentioned. Quite frankly, you and NC_Dawg were the beginning here, most respect that. I do. Know that strokes can be very difficult to deal with, and once we get longer in the tooth, it is even a more difficult task. High hopes and best wishes for you and your wife. Here is hoping that I can still post here when I reach your age. Believe you once said to me that you are the "oldest fart" on this board. Fact.

Being as you are a Doctor of Veterinarian Medicine, allow me to post the meaning of long in the tooth, some of the younger folks might not understand the meaning.

"Old in age. Mostly used when referring to people or horses". :)

ogredawg, for sure Tracy Rocker will coach many games with a smile on his face after coaching this young man. Great addition to the UGA Defense in the video. Does not hurt to take "another look".

Starting center, or all three players now being looked at will have their work cut out for them in the Fall. For sure.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, DawgDoc, yankeedawg1

More
9 years 4 days ago #67435 by Buc
Since Tracy Rocker moved to Athens there has been a lot of talk about his relationships with the players. Players also say that he is all business when business time comes.

Rocker bonded really well with Thompson, and that is going to pay off handsomely for "both". Shows that Tracy Rocker is all that when it comes to relating to young men that had previously made their way across state lines.

Pruitt, make no mistake about the hiring of Tracy Rocker, man in charge. Pruitt's defense. Again, as ogredawg said . . . . the proof is in the pudding. Would take some piss poor coaching to keep Trenton Thompson from stopping the run.

One of the things that stick out to me is his hands and arms. He already knows many "techniques" that some on the defensive line never learn to add to their game. Speed, watching the video above, Thompson could play defensive end, could see that some in 2015. Can only imagine this young man after spending time with Hocke. Already has unbelievable strength, not just body size, he is powerful.

Another video below that has played here before. Particularly like the part on the video where the relationship between Rocker/Thompson is mentioned.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, DAWGtm

More
9 years 4 days ago - 9 years 4 days ago #67436 by Buc
Some of us posting thoughts and information about Pruitt/Rocker and Company. Whether for or in a wait and see mode, the article below written by Jake Rowe brings up some interesting statistics.

First year, players learning a new defense, under a different Defensive Coordinator and his chosen mates to stop the arm waving. Overall, I would say "mission accomplished".

Several interesting articles listed below the one below on same site.

georgia.247sports.com/Article/Georgia-Bu...the-numbers-37003800
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds