Forum

Arkansas Game Day Thread

9 years 6 months ago #63718 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread

sflanagan21 wrote:

ogredawg wrote:

sflanagan21 wrote: Buc, I disagree with you on never winning a NC with Richt, as a matter of fact I see it happening this season. I think we are working on something special right now in Athens. Mason has looked better in the last two games and in my opinion he has turned the corner and will only get better. I have been his worst critic and he is making me eat my crow and I have NO problem with that! I think our O is one the best in the Nation and we are missing Gurley and Michel. Our D is still a work in progress but even where they are right now I believe is enough to get us to the SEC ship easily. To get to the playoff's we need to get their with one loss and obviously win it. Our only hurdle is Auburn and as long as we keep our key players healthy then we have punchers chance. Our secondary needs to keep improving and I know they will under Pruitt. We can score with any team in the Nation right now and thats with out Gurley and Michel. We must tighten up things in our secondary or Marshall will make us pay in a big way. We get past Auburn then I think we are the team to beat.

I don't think there is one dominating team this year, at least not yet (we could very well be that team by the AU game). I see about 7 good teams and we are one of them. We are only getting better and with Michel coming back we are going to be hard to stop, not to mention that we are probably going to get a healthy and hungry Gurley back, plus Mitchell is going to come up big right when we need him too, oh yea and I Mac is always one step away from flipping a game. I don't even think Richt can mess this one up Buc. I'm being VERY optimistic but I think this could be the year...

I tend to disagree. Either Mississippi team will beat us and it will be 1 of the 2 plus Alabama, FSU or Notre Dame depending on the outcome of tonites game and Oregon for the NC. This UGA team is not a top 4 team...top 10 maybe but not top 4...

Like your optimism but it ain't going to happen this year

We will never win a NC as long as CMR is the HC....

Well it's a good thing they have to play the game on the field and not go off what the people on this board think! I'm out...

Bingo.....can't we just enjoy the win without criticizing??

SF...21, I see exactly where you are coming from. Whether we are a top 4 team or not, we ARE getting better and also believe we can play with anyone. Our OL is seeing to that along with Pruitt/Rocker and yes, CMR/Bobo. I certainly see better consistent coaching.

You are on the road for the second week, ahead by 32 at half, the only way Ark can get back into the game is if we come out, sling it around and turn the ball over....I wouldn't call that Bobo reigning in the offense, he was giving the ball to the best player on the field with a great OL and simply shortening the game. Ark had nothing to lose so they simply played better. We didn't need to take chances to score 60.....plus D was playing great.

ENJOY THE WIN.....

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63719 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
whats wrong with playing to win and not to lose? The Tide scored 59 on a RANKED team and shut them out, you think that hurt their chances with the "committee"? Why reign in an offense that scored 38 unanswered and let Arkansas get back into it by out scoring the Dawgs 26-7 in the 2nd half? An 0-16 SEC team whipping us in the second half. Makes no sense when you are trying to be one of the "Four". No more BCS you now have "judges" picking who plays for the NC, polls don't really matter any more....

Saban knew exactly what he needed to do after winning by a point last week and his team went out and did it.

Say next game we go up by 30 on the gaytors and then let their no type offense come back and score 24 in the 2nd half because we want to "sit" on a lead...what kind of impression does anyone think that will make on the "committee". Eventually the excuse making for Bobo will stop when it backfires and we lose once again to a team we are not supposed to lose to.

We beat Mizzou 34-0 and what "if" we had not sat on the lead scored a few more TD's and held Arkansas to say 1 TD in the 2nd half...now I would call that impressive and I Think the "committee" would have been impressed also. The only way we get into the NC is win out and I hope we do...

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, sadlerdawg

• ogredawg
  • ogredawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63720 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
Makes me curious as to why Hutson Mason would say this in his interview right after the game.

Edit #2:“I think we’ve just got to do a better job of come out in the second half and not be content,” Mason said. “I don’t think we were content, just kind of laid of the gas a little bit. If you were to ask any of the coaches or maybe us, we didn’t really do as good as we could in the second half, but we found a way to win in the second half and that’s all that matters.”

Reading what some of the strongest critics on this board have to say, seems everyone is in agreement that we won. Speaking for myself, one would think I was a six year old the way I acted during the first half.

To say this . . . . Bingo.....can't we just enjoy the win without criticizing??

I have what I think will be a resolution to the above. Let's all stay within the party guidelines and smile with victory, dare not to ask "why" in certain areas always or many times seem to take us back to our previous times of "throwing our hands and arms in the air".

Hutson Mason, the starting quarterback questioned "parts" of the overall game plan. Guess "we" that are no longer in the "arena" have that right, whether it is from game to game or . . . . year to year. Simple little questions like . . . . National Championships anyone?

Have found this to be true in my lifetime. Folks tend to get "comfortable" when they reach a certain level. Could that be the case in Athens? Believe that to be a valid question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadlerdawg, ogredawg, DAWGtm

More
9 years 6 months ago #63721 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
In the NFL winning the game IS all that matters because your record is what gets you into the playoffs, period. College football, as we all know, is much different. HOW you win is just as important when you are being ranked, or selected. And how do fans expect to improve if you just happily accept the win without seeing mistakes that can be corrected.
Sitting on a lead has cost us many games over the years and IMO falling asleep at the wheel cost Auburn the NC last year.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, ogredawg

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63722 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
Easy guys.....

I was simplying saying to enjoy the win.

No, we aren't perfect and I wasn't happy with the second half either but I chose to enjoy the win first....think about it.....and critic later.

I believe everyone on this board has been in some type of competition and have had a huge lead with virtually zero chance of losing. No matter how much you, the coaches, the water boy or your mother tells you to keep that intensity, and YOU think you are, it is simply hard to do.....been there and so have you.

Ok, Bama made a "statement".....they HAD to after almost LOSING to Ark last week....they stunk it up.

Uh, we made a statement the week before thrashing Mizzou 34-zip....AT Mizzou.

I'm sure they were tired of traveling two weeks in a row and were ready to get back to Athens....they lost intensity and focus a little and ARK isn't Troy.

If you noticed, they re-focused on that last drive with Ark knowing we were going to run it every play, they had 3 time outs available, and we stuck it down their throats and ran out the clock. Isn't that something we have griped about in the past?

I wasn't happy about the 2nd half either, I'm just cutting them a little slack after 2 very hard, long road trips and your arguably the BEST college football player on your bench.

Enjoy the win is all I'm saying.....

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, dawgs_fans_dad

More
9 years 6 months ago #63723 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread

ogredawg wrote: whats wrong with playing to win and not to lose? The Tide scored 59 on a RANKED team and shut them out, you think that hurt their chances with the "committee"? Why reign in an offense that scored 38 unanswered and let Arkansas get back into it by out scoring the Dawgs 26-7 in the 2nd half? An 0-16 SEC team whipping us in the second half. Makes no sense when you are trying to be one of the "Four". No more BCS you now have "judges" picking who plays for the NC, polls don't really matter any more....

Saban knew exactly what he needed to do after winning by a point last week and his team went out and did it.

Say next game we go up by 30 on the gaytors and then let their no type offense come back and score 24 in the 2nd half because we want to "sit" on a lead...what kind of impression does anyone think that will make on the "committee". Eventually the excuse making for Bobo will stop when it backfires and we lose once again to a team we are not supposed to lose to.

We beat Mizzou 34-0 and what "if" we had not sat on the lead scored a few more TD's and held Arkansas to say 1 TD in the 2nd half...now I would call that impressive and I Think the "committee" would have been impressed also. The only way we get into the NC is win out and I hope we do...

Thought the exact same thing as I watched the two scores progress.

Didn't get to watch the second half. Did say as we were leaving that I knew the dawgs would make it more interesting than it needed to be.

As far as the committee goes, if UGA wins out that means they beat Auburn and win the SECCG. No way are they not in the playoffs if that happens. If they lose either game they are likely out. Control their own destiny.

First half was a thing of beauty. Second half sounds like it was a step back.

Good to have a teaching opportunity and still get the W.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, DAWGtm

More
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds