Forum

Arkansas Game Day Thread

9 years 6 months ago #63724 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
sadlerdawg said and I am totally on board with what he said . . . . IMO falling asleep at the wheel cost Auburn the NC last year.

What I see at this point to be a major difference or a "true" turning point in Athens is a different philosophy by some of the coaching staff to get more in line with the way "very successful" SEC teams have ran their programs and got results.

Whether or not Nick Saban was right or wrong with what he said after the Arkansas game matters not. Press loves that, gives them a way to get some "clicks" until the next "something" arises.

What matters is what Saban said seemed to be the needed "thingy" that his players responded to. That is coaching. Nick Saban is a very good coach, a coach that motivates those 4 and 5 star players that cross state lines to play in Tuscaloosa. Befre Saban and after the Bear, there was a long lapse in "coaching" in Tuscaloosa. All one has to do is check the record book.

Next year we get another chance to face off with Saban and the Crimson Tide. Not sure at this point who will be leading the offensive charge on the field, but does not seem to matter at this point in Athens. As ogredawg said earlier, thought maybe Ramsey would get some snaps, but when we look at the way our team performed in the second half, that thought quickly moved past the brain waves.

First year that Saban took over as the head coach at Alabama, Georgia won. After that, Black Outs and other "stuff" could not overcome excellent coaching. Took Nick Saban how long to win a National Championship in Tuscaloosa, and another and another. Something tells me that bridging the gap between Nick Saban and other coaches, takes a lot of looking discriminately at ones self. Sometimes it takes others outside of the "arena" to get the attention of those that are "comfortable" inside the "arena".

Bet this . . . . Muschamp and Foley are hearing what is going on "outside of their arena" this Sunday morning. Are the fans wrong? This board compared to what is being said on other boards is child's play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadlerdawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #63725 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
dawgs_fans_dad said and is spot on.

As far as the committee goes, if UGA wins out that means they beat Auburn and win the SECCG. No way are they not in the playoffs if that happens. If they lose either game they are likely out. Control their own destiny.

With Malcolm Mitchell coming back and getting in shape, maybe Todd Gurley, maybe Sony Michel, Isaiah McKenzie getting more accustomed to SEC football, no doubting the talent on hand.

You have been more or less a wait and see poster on Hutson Mason, and Hutson showed much "leadership" in the game yesterday. Watched him when huddling the troops, Hutson ran the show. Comments after the game prove that he "wants" to win.

Conley and Bennett, have never gotten the pats on the back that they deserve. Said yesterday while watching the game, Bennett drops a pass, promised all that he would be back and atone for that. Love those two players, have meant so much to so many.

More
9 years 6 months ago #63726 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread

sflanagan21 wrote: Buc, I disagree with you on never winning a NC with Richt, as a matter of fact I see it happening this season. I think we are working on something special right now in Athens. Mason has looked better in the last two games and in my opinion he has turned the corner and will only get better. I have been his worst critic and he is making me eat my crow and I have NO problem with that! I think our O is one the best in the Nation and we are missing Gurley and Michel. Our D is still a work in progress but even where they are right now I believe is enough to get us to the SEC ship easily. To get to the playoff's we need to get their with one loss and obviously win it. Our only hurdle is Auburn and as long as we keep our key players healthy then we have punchers chance. Our secondary needs to keep improving and I know they will under Pruitt. We can score with any team in the Nation right now and thats with out Gurley and Michel. We must tighten up things in our secondary or Marshall will make us pay in a big way. We get past Auburn then I think we are the team to beat.

I don't think there is one dominating team this year, at least not yet (we could very well be that team by the AU game). I see about 7 good teams and we are one of them. We are only getting better and with Michel coming back we are going to be hard to stop, not to mention that we are probably going to get a healthy and hungry Gurley back, plus Mitchell is going to come up big right when we need him too, oh yea and I Mac is always one step away from flipping a game. I don't even think Richt can mess this one up Buc. I'm being VERY optimistic but I think this could be the year...

I like your optimism!

Lots of parity in college football right now. Will be for the next good while.

UGA prolly has a 10% chance to win the nc this year at this point. That dont sound real good, but it was about 3-4% 3 weeks ago. Saying "we will never win the nc with our current head coach" is just betting against the field. Whoopeee. Your a friggen genius when the field wins.

More
9 years 6 months ago #63728 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread

dawgs_fans_dad wrote:

ogredawg wrote: whats wrong with playing to win and not to lose? The Tide scored 59 on a RANKED team and shut them out, you think that hurt their chances with the "committee"? Why reign in an offense that scored 38 unanswered and let Arkansas get back into it by out scoring the Dawgs 26-7 in the 2nd half? An 0-16 SEC team whipping us in the second half. Makes no sense when you are trying to be one of the "Four". No more BCS you now have "judges" picking who plays for the NC, polls don't really matter any more....

Saban knew exactly what he needed to do after winning by a point last week and his team went out and did it.

Say next game we go up by 30 on the gaytors and then let their no type offense come back and score 24 in the 2nd half because we want to "sit" on a lead...what kind of impression does anyone think that will make on the "committee". Eventually the excuse making for Bobo will stop when it backfires and we lose once again to a team we are not supposed to lose to.

We beat Mizzou 34-0 and what "if" we had not sat on the lead scored a few more TD's and held Arkansas to say 1 TD in the 2nd half...now I would call that impressive and I Think the "committee" would have been impressed also. The only way we get into the NC is win out and I hope we do...

Thought the exact same thing as I watched the two scores progress.

Didn't get to watch the second half. Did say as we were leaving that I knew the dawgs would make it more interesting than it needed to be.

As far as the committee goes, if UGA wins out that means they beat Auburn and win the SECCG. No way are they not in the playoffs if that happens. If they lose either game they are likely out. Control their own destiny.

First half was a thing of beauty. Second half sounds like it was a step back.

Good to have a teaching opportunity and still get the W.

Great point, style points are irrelevant.....we win out we are definitely in the top 4 and if we lose we're done as far as the playoff is concerned. Style points mean nothing to us. Just win baby.

PVBDAWG

More
9 years 6 months ago #63729 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
True about winning out but my point is not putting teams away has haunted this program for years and if we continue to blow leads it will cause us to lose one we shouldn't. Glad we won but it seems silly to me to just shrug off a continuing problem that should be easily corrected and could mean the difference between a W and L.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 6 months ago #63730 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Arkansas Game Day Thread
I'm not shrugging it off, I thought we should have played a better second half but I felt it was more "situational".

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds