Replied by ogredawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Appeal DENIED sits 2 more games...what a waste of talent

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, wlayton

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #64058 by NC_Dawg
Replied by NC_Dawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Sad day indeed!...I truly hope we get the opportunity to see #3 running wild in "Red & Black" once again! But I'm not absolutely certain it will occur. TG has ZERO to prove to me about integrity and commitment that he hasn't already demonstrated! Should he choose to opt out for the NFL, he'll remain a DGD in my book!

As far as the free education argument goes,....I see the validity EXCEPT for the "star athlete"! The unnamed hero's who wear our colors but will likely never be known,...that free education is their reward. However, the "Star" is subject to numerous entities from within and outside the "arena" ALL profiting from his/her talent. That goes above and beyond the free education argument, IMVHO, and smacks of absolute, unmitigated hypocrisy!...If TG was a scout team member, that #3 jersey and his signature wouldn't be worth a plugged nickle!...

Nonetheless, the corporately corrupt has spoken,....only time will tell....

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." - Bluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, ogredawg, Dawg With Style

More
9 years 5 months ago #64060 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
That's 100% true about the super-star athlete and the "free education argument".

Guess what... the university isn't offering the TG's of the world anything for free because they
care about their education. They offer players like TG because of what TG can do for their football team
and what the football team does for the university's cash register.

Again.... basketball and one and done players are all you have to point to see that ludicrous hypocrisy.

The University of Kentucky does a great job of offering "free educations" to players they know full well
will be in the NBA next year.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, Dawg With Style

More
9 years 5 months ago #64061 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Todd Gurley Suspended

Wartdawg wrote: That's 100% true about the super-star athlete and the "free education argument".

Guess what... the university isn't offering the TG's of the world anything for free because they
care about their education. They offer players like TG because of what TG can do for their football team

Again.... basketball and one and done players are all you have to point to see that ludicrous hypocrisy.

The University of Kentucky does a great job of offering "free educations" to players they know full well

So much truth in the above. Stay on the stump Wartdawg.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 5 months ago #64062 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Todd Gurley Suspended

Wartdawg wrote: That's 100% true about the super-star athlete and the "free education argument".

Im done with college basketball because of this. Getting closer on fb. If being a student is no longer enough for the stars of the future Im definitely done.

I have two kids at a major university right now and I dont think the money their athletic teams bring in is keeping my tuition cost down.

Im kind of down on college athletics right now. I know this is you guys thing, so im gonna hush up. B)

More
9 years 5 months ago #64291 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Todd Gurley Suspended
Good read.....

Gurley has plenty left to play for at UGA

By stevenhummer

Todd Gurley could use a few more carries like this for Georgia before bolting for the NFL. (AJC photo)

Now that the grandest of Georgia designs have been dashed, again – the football final four out of reach, the SEC East getting away like sand through a sieve – there remains the diminished question of just how Todd Gurley should react to this sad turn.

I’ve heard the sentiment on the public airwaves that the suspended running back should just pack it in now and leave the Bulldogs in order to prepare for next year’s NFL draft.

The argument goes like this: What does Gurley have left to play for, if not the Heisman, if not a place in national championship tournament, and very likely not a place in the Georgia Dome when the SEC decides a champion? There is only the possibility of injury and pain. He has no climb left on this side of the football mountain. Time to move on to a place where signing autographs for pay is just good business.

What a thoroughly modern, completely self-absorbed point of view.

First of all, it is difficult to imagine Gurley even considering such a tack. Cutting and running does not suit him.

And he already has raised plenty of questions about his ability to put team goals ahead of self-interest with his repeated signature sales. Risking so much for the short-term benefit of a few thousand dollars revealed some significant holes in his judgment. Quitting on his team at this stage would only further rip his competitive credibility to shreds.

If I’m a NFL personnel guy, I’d have real questions about a player who would leave the field for the safety of the weight room. Such an attitude would be as worrisome as any injury.

Gurley should do what’s best for him, a few have mentioned. That very kind of thinking put him and Georgia in this bind. And I’d argue that what’s best for Gurley is to run riot against Auburn and Georgia Tech and remind the world what it had missed over his four-game suspension.

Gurley has plenty left to play for at Georgia. Winning back a dollop of self-respect is no minor goal.

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds