Forum

Need Some Help . . . .

9 years 6 months ago #63363 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Need Some Help . . . .
My hope in Bobo's comments, is that it was directed to the Mason. Could also be a challenge to the offensive line. They have been playing very well, but 18-22 year olds reading nothing but praise might need a little extra motivation.

Keep looking at the QB situation. We are going to have to throw the football Saturday. Someone posted early in one of the threads, that it is not about the quantity, it is about the quality. Couldn't be a more accurate statement for this game. Mizzou will load the box. Going to be a tough day if we don't complete some passes. Need to run the football often, and don't need to be pass happy, but also better be able to complete some early passes.

We run every play, we continue to protect the QB. I have said all along that the offense is putting up mega stats, and for that, QB is probably getting a little slack. He is managing the game, and we are having success. However, there is going to be a few games where he may have to win the game. Can he? Not trying to sound to negative, but from what I have seen, that is a no. To me, it is sink or swim for Mason.

GO DAWGS. Don't have a very good feel. Successful running games sometimes take a few possession to get going and adjusted to 8-9 in the box. My fear is we will be down 2 or 3 scores by that point. I don't see very many defensive stops coming. Hope I am wrong.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #63364 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Need Some Help . . . .
AllDawgs5, guessing many of us are doing the same thing . . . . Guessing what Mike meant with that particular comment. One of those statements that many coaches make, when it comes time to answer questions, answers can be given as if the questioner did not understand what was being said. Hope that makes sense, it works like that.

If we can play 50/50 football, meaning make both running and passing work to an above average scale, it is usually a good game plan. There is a drawback here though. It appears that we are most effective when the offensive line is moving forward, rather than falling back in the protection stance. Thus far, think I am right . . . . box loaded, we still get running yardage. Our backs are tough, but somewhere in that Will Friend front there is also some toughness. I feel that the entire group should have folks buying them ice cream. AM understood where his bread was buttered. Behind this line, AM . . . . don't have to say it again, have already.

Defensively, here is hoping that a couple of our defensive ends and linebackers understand that they have to do more than go balls to the wall after the quarterback. Maty Mauk will run inside or outside and throws the ball well off of the "wrong foot".

Noticed where Mark Richt requested the game be played at Noon on Saturday, rather than four in the afternoon. Feel sure his thinking is "crowd noise". There will be plenty of that, but I am going to say this . . . . time to put Ramsey under fire. Do not want to start next season without full knowledge of who is barking the signals.

Lots of answers in this game.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago #63367 by AllDawgs5
Replied by AllDawgs5 on topic Need Some Help . . . .
Couldn't agree more, Buc about Bobo's response.

I don't even though that I would even really look to be 50/50. Play to your strengths, and we have. I am fine with 70/30 run vs. pass. Those 30% have to and should be effective. I go back to the ut game. I was so disappointed in the passing game. Not the play calling. 8 men in the box all game should equal some easy completions in the passing game. Didn't happen. ut's defense in a pretty good group IMO, but still very disappointing.

I like to think Bobo knows what he is doing as far as QB's. I remember all the chatter with people wanting Mason to get some reps. Many claiming Richt and Bobo were idiots for not going to Mason when Murray was struggling. Well, pretty obvious to me that they knew what they were doing. I also saw AM grow from a QB would struggled reading defenses as a soph. to a senior who was very rarely fooled. He was talented, smart, and extremely dedicated, but still not thinking he becomes the all-time passing leader in SEC history without some pretty good coaching and play calling. Believe Aaron would state the same.

For me, too worried about our defense to spend much time worrying about playcalling. Cringing thinking about what might happen to our D Saturday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, ogredawg

More
9 years 6 months ago #63368 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Need Some Help . . . .
Completely believe Bobo was directing that comment to HM...stand up, be a man, and deliver the ball!! Lead by example....if you get your butt busted a couple of times, get back up, stand in there and lead....you're a 5th year Senior. Also believe Bobo is close to giving the reigns to Ramsey if HM didn't get his message loud and clear.

On the noon start CMR requested.....while it may be to avoid a night game with much noise, I believe it was so they can get the game in and get back to Athens at a decent time Sat night. It will help the players recovery time before going back on the road to Ark the next week. Half a day of time (and bed time) is big when having back to back road games.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: DawgDoc, AllDawgs5

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #63369 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Need Some Help . . . .
wlayton tend to agree more with your view on Hutson Mason, regarding the quote from Mike Bobo. Never once do I remember a statement from our offensive side of the ball saying that to AM.

Mark Richt and Mike Bobo were on AM's case early on about running with the football. Anyone that goes back and sees what AM was faced with early on, easy to understand, tuck it and run. What I think I see from Hutson Mason, not sure.

Other side of that coin, check out the film against Auburn and the hit(s) he too there. Fast forward to ATL and check out what the Alabama defense did to AM, in front of you know who.

Have to say this. I had serious doubts about our punter coming out of high school. He did have some off the field problems. Do not like the time required for his foot to meet leather. Will have my eyes on that part of the game Saturday for sure. Using AD5's word, I cringe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, AllDawgs5

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 6 months ago #63370 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Need Some Help . . . .
Right now the stats show that UGA is almost 65% run 35% pass. I take the comment to mean the game plan is to open up the passing game more now that MM and JSW are back in the healthy catagory weather it be with HM or BR and challenge Mizzous strength rather than play to our strengths...we have 2 RB's out with injuries so lessen the load on #3 and #27 now that we have playmaking WR's back...(like Conley or Bennett cannot make plays)

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc, AllDawgs5, dawgs_fans_dad

More
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds