Forum

Troy Game Day Thread

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62830 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Troy Game Day Thread
DSW, Sony Michel and Isaiah McKenzie both in Athens because of McClendon. Lots of talent in Florida, want to build indoor facilities, players such as the ones that McClendon brings in keep butts in the seats. Whatever happened to that raise that many wanted for McClendon? Only silence from the Group.

Will come out pretty soon, couple of D1 universities are asking about McClendon. If and when he leaves, will not see the Sony Michels, Isaiah McKenzies and the other talent from the South Florida area landing in Athens. Think Auburn wants McClendon . . . . just asking.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62833 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Troy Game Day Thread
Sorry but I still don't see where our offense IS the problem or even HAS been the problem. Our D's the last several years have been the problem imo.

Still feel offenses used by UM, Malzahn, Oregon etc are gimmick offenses that are eventually figured out.

Teams started shutting down UF, so UM left....while I think Malzahn is a smart coach, K-State shut down AU and forced them to throw twice as much as last year......Oregon's gimmick offense can't beat physical teams the last several years like Stanford (twice), AU, LSU etc that punch them in the mouth. Ok they beat MSU a week ago but not the same team as the year before.

I know I'm partial to the pro style but after watching alot of games yesterday, our offense is as good as anybody's in the country...

Our D??.....different story. Our DB situation is starting to remind me of our OL situation in past years....why are we so AVERAGE at best? Now our OL looks to be an asset this year especially with the depth we have.....Pruitt will eventially develope the DB's and create depth like he had at FSU and BAMA. Heck, they kicked off three 5 star DB's before Pruitt could use them (and rightfully so) and Pruitt's cupboard is empty.

He'll fix it in time.

Sorry, imo a solid pro style offense with great running game balanced out with the passing game is NOT our weakness, nor do I think it ever has been. Plus new wrinkles being added can only enhance keeping opposing D's off balance. Our offense can score on anybody and easily puts up enough points to win.

Our D has let us down for the most part.

PVBDAWG
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
9 years 7 months ago #62837 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Troy Game Day Thread
All I can say Buc is I cannot wait for the "Bobo era" to begin at UGA :sick:

thecountrynation.com

• ogredawg
  • ogredawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #62839 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic Troy Game Day Thread

wlayton wrote: Sorry but I still don't see where our offense IS the problem or even HAS been the problem. Our D's the last several years have been the problem imo.

Still feel offenses used by UM, Malzahn, Oregon etc are gimmick offenses that are eventually figured out.

Teams started shutting down UF, so UM left....while I think Malzahn is a smart coach, K-State shut down AU and forced them to throw twice as much as last year......Oregon's gimmick offense can't beat physical teams the last several years like Stanford (twice), AU, LSU etc that punch them in the mouth. Ok they beat MSU a week ago but not the same team as the year before.

I know I'm partial to the pro style but after watching alot of games yesterday, our offense is as good as anybody's in the country...

Our D??.....different story. Our DB situation is starting to remind me of our OL situation in past years....why are we so AVERAGE at best? Now our OL looks to be an asset this year especially with the depth we have.....Pruitt will eventially develope the DB's and create depth like he had at FSU and BAMA. Heck, they kicked off three 5 star DB's before Pruitt could use them (and rightfully so) and Pruitt's cupboard is empty.

He'll fix it in time.

Sorry, imo a solid pro style offense with great running game balanced out with the passing game is NOT our weakness, nor do I think it ever has been. Plus new wrinkles being added can only enhance keeping opposing D's off balance. Our offense can score on anybody and easily puts up enough points to win.

Our D has let us down for the most part.

hope you say the same thing when we go up against a team that can actually play defense.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• ogredawg
  • ogredawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 7 months ago #62840 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Troy Game Day Thread
Like BAMA.....USC.....UF?....hmmm, put points on them.

Look, most great D's can beat great offenses, we all know that. I'm simply saying our offense isn't the problem ALL the time.

PVBDAWG

More
9 years 7 months ago #62843 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Troy Game Day Thread
There are many universities that run the pro style offense.

There are also many pro style offenses that are better coached than others. Just because a team runs a pro style or a spread or variations of the single wing, it comes down to one thing, coaching and that does start with the head coach.

Anyone think that downfield throws can't and don't come from the spread?

My question comes from watching Mike Bobo, Richt tutored, even "THINKING" we need to run a variation of what Auburn is doing. What caused that? Thinking that something different needed to be added to what we have done since Mark Richt became head coach? Why even suggest that we might run something along the lines of what Auburn is doing?

Question was asked of Sony Michel when this change of offensive formations was rolled out, when was it first practiced? The same week of practice before the Troy State game.

Not too hard to figure out. Hutson Mason was pulled, not because of bad play, it was understood this way of playing offensive football was determined during the practice prior to Troy.

Correct me if I am wrong. Have suggested, along with several others on this board that we needed to change some of what we have done offensively since 2001. So, what we do is insert Sony Michel to receive the long snap, basically alerting the defense that it is a running play. With Faton Bauta in the same situation, he can and did run effective against Troy. Another thing that the "dual" quarterback can do is throw the ball.

Brings me to this. Whether it is the offense or defense that prevents Georgia from even thinking about the final four should not be a question. Why is it that we always seem to be an offensive team or a defensive team, never together? Think about that. Drives me nuts when that is suggested.

Another question. Why did AM have to go to two different camps with different coaches when we had two ex-quarterbacks running the offense at Georgia. Another question. Why was AM given the "cold shoulder" after returning from the last camp in Oklahoma? Pride can be and usually is used by those that don't like to be second guessed.

After yesterdays game between Alabama and Florida, Coach Nick Saban gave "high praise" to his offensive coordinator. Like Lane Kiffin or not, Coach Saban does and it was proven out in Kiffin bringing along and putting an end to the quarterback queston. Blake Sims did well. Also, Blake Sims has "wheels". Richt/Bobo tried their best to take AM's wheels away, wanted AM to stand in the pocket in the pro style and do it their way. AM never agreed with that.

Regardless of what we "like" or "don't like", anywhere except under Richt/Bobo forward thinking offensive coaches and coordinators understand one thing . . . . Wins.

Last question. Why is Chip Kelly making waves in the NFL. Maybe Trent Dilfer understands more than those that like certain formations on the offensive side.

“I’m completely, 100 percent all in on Chip Kelly. In my time in football and I’ve been around some really good coaches. Tony Dungy, Brian Billick for a stretch when he had his fastball, Mike Holmgren, obviously, Norv Turner, who is one of the best offensive minds in many years. Of all those people, I think this is the finest football coach I’ve ever studied.”

Agree or disagree, the one question that remains in my mind is this . . . . Why did Sony Michel take a snap before Faton Bauta came on the field? Richt/Bobo and I divorced on that choice of playing football. Never fear for those don't understand the "Group" everything is in place for the current leader to remain in Athens for as long as he can win 8 to 10 games every year.

Tennessee coming to Athens, here is hoping that we are prepared. Richt/Bobo have "their" players, have been recruiting that way for years. Three years from now we will see just how Pruitt/Rocker and Company stack up. Probably without one of our best recruiters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

More
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds