Forum

Troy Game Day Thread

9 years 7 months ago #62926 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Troy Game Day Thread
Wartdawg, read your post, thought about it for a bit. Even asked myself some of the questions that you pose above.

One of the thoughts that passed through my mind was the (supposed) quarterback battle that the 2014 Season opened up with in Tuscaloosa. After the first game, many folks in Alabama thought it was time to jump ship. Steady hand of Nick Saban showed again why he is a successful college football coach. He hired Lane Kiffin to handle that particular position, makes sense when looked at closely. Now we see a young man, that reminds me so much of D. J. Shockley and the things that were being said when he was in Athens. At this point I would say that the quarterback controversy is over in Tuscaloosa. Blake Simms has won the position and looked real good against Florida in doing so.

Brings me to this . . . . Leadership on two (2) levels. Head coach and offensive coordinator. Benefits not only the player, benefits all who support Alabama.

Have to repeat what has already been said on this board. Our offensive play calling against Troy called for our #1 quarterback to play flanker. Play turned out ok, but I promise one and all if that had been AM, David Greene or Matthew Stafford, never would that have happened, especially when there does seem to be somewhat of a quarterback controversy (again) in Athens. One word from where I sit . . . . Leadership is "still" missing.

Question. If Hutson Mason remains healthy, do we have our other quarterbacks getting playing time? Teams that are in front of us to be played are much stronger than Troy State. Did Ramsey throwing the football put some doubt into the coaches minds about playing time? For sure Faton Bauta running the ball effectively will not move his case forward. Hard to teach "Old Dawgs" new tricks, especially tricks that should never have the #1 quarterback lining up at flanker. That was just about as cute as the play calling from the red zone against South Carolina. Did not put a smile on my face. Steve Spurrier loved it. That old dog always has new tricks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #62928 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Troy Game Day Thread
Seriously.... set aside faith you may have personally in Faton, Ramsey, or any back up we have...

What if your starting QB gets hurt....

against Troy...

in the second half...

of a game you are winning 45-0...

because you had him back out on the field... lined up at flanker.

I mean Jiminy Crickets guys..... WTH were they thinking??

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogredawg, sflanagan21

More
9 years 7 months ago #62929 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic Troy Game Day Thread

Buc wrote: Wartdawg, read your post, thought about it for a bit. Even asked myself some of the questions that you pose above.

One of the thoughts that passed through my mind was the (supposed) quarterback battle that the 2014 Season opened up with in Tuscaloosa. After the first game, many folks in Alabama thought it was time to jump ship. Steady hand of Nick Saban showed again why he is a successful college football coach. He hired Lane Kiffin to handle that particular position, makes sense when looked at closely. Now we see a young man, that reminds me so much of D. J. Shockley and the things that were being said when he was in Athens. At this point I would say that the quarterback controversy is over in Tuscaloosa. Blake Simms has won the position and looked real good against Florida in doing so.

Brings me to this . . . . Leadership on two (2) levels. Head coach and offensive coordinator. Benefits not only the player, benefits all who support Alabama.

Have to repeat what has already been said on this board. Our offensive play calling against Troy called for our #1 quarterback to play flanker. Play turned out ok, but I promise one and all if that had been AM, David Greene or Matthew Stafford, never would that have happened, especially when there does seem to be somewhat of a quarterback controversy (again) in Athens. One word from where I sit . . . . Leadership is "still" missing.

Question. If Hutson Mason remains healthy, do we have our other quarterbacks getting playing time? Teams that are in front of us to be played are much stronger than Troy State. Did Ramsey throwing the football put some doubt into the coaches minds about playing time? For sure Faton Bauta running the ball effectively will not move his case forward. Hard to teach "Old Dawgs" new tricks, especially tricks that should never have the #1 quarterback lining up at flanker. That was just about as cute as the play calling from the red zone against South Carolina. Did not put a smile on my face. Steve Spurrier loved it. That old dog always has new tricks.

Buc, I would like to see both Ramsey and Bauta getting quality playing time against competive teams. I'm guessing the only reason why Mason is starting is because he less likely to turn the ball over, he sure isn't the best QB IMHO. If we didn't have Gurley then it may more than likely be Ramsey running the show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #62930 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Troy Game Day Thread
sflanagan21 posted . . . . If we didn't have Gurley then it may more than likely be Ramsey running the show.

At this point have to say I agree sflanagan21. Might be that Ramsey will turn out to be a very good quarterback. Seems that Mike Bobo has pretty much selected the quarterback he wants to direct the offense. Hope that he is right, he is by the way with the players every day.

Hate to see talent leave Athens, especially after being on campus and like AM, spend a lot of time in the film room coming up to speed. Know from folks down in the West Palm Beach area that Bauta is not only a good athlete but a very intense young man in the areas that require a player pay attention. You know what I am saying.

Sometimes certain players just do not "get" the coach to come around. Keep going back in my mind to young men like you and I have "discussed" here. Young players that are maybe game type players, not practice players, know that you see some of that now when coaching. Something happens when looking over the center and seeing different colored jerseys.

Nick Marshall came to Athens and was put on the defensive side of the ball. While he played for a lower classification high school, he put up big numbers at the quarterback position. Gus did not hesitate to insert a very talented game time player to run his offense. Nick had two quarterbacks that were in front of him, however Gus Malzahn knew what he was looking for when it came to his system. Maybe that is the case with Richt/Bobo. Just looking back and forward, don't believe I see coaches that have an eye for talent maybe on the scale of Gus. Nick Marshall will visit Athens soon, have no doubts that he will be ready to play. Gus also has opened up the game for Nick Marshall and the offense. He has an arm, maybe not the strength that Bobo wants, who can say. Think he consistently throws the football 70 yards or better, and he has "wheels".
The following user(s) said Thank You: sflanagan21

More
9 years 7 months ago #62932 by sflanagan21
Replied by sflanagan21 on topic Troy Game Day Thread

Buc wrote: sflanagan21 posted . . . . If we didn't have Gurley then it may more than likely be Ramsey running the show.

At this point have to say I agree sflanagan21. Might be that Ramsey will turn out to be a very good quarterback. Seems that Mike Bobo has pretty much selected the quarterback he wants to direct the offense. Hope that he is right, he is by the way with the players every day.

Hate to see talent leave Athens, especially after being on campus and like AM, spend a lot of time in the film room coming up to speed. Know from folks down in the West Palm Beach area that Bauta is not only a good athlete but a very intense young man in the areas that require a player pay attention. You know what I am saying.

Sometimes certain players just do not "get" the coach to come around. Keep going back in my mind to young men like you and I have "discussed" here. Young players that are maybe game type players, not practice players, know that you see some of that now when coaching. Something happens when looking over the center and seeing different colored jerseys.

Nick Marshall came to Athens and was put on the defensive side of the ball. While he played for a lower classification high school, he put up big numbers at the quarterback position. Gus did not hesitate to insert a very talented game time player to run his offense. Nick had two quarterbacks that were in front of him, however Gus Malzahn knew what he was looking for when it came to his system. Maybe that is the case with Richt/Bobo. Just looking back and forward, don't believe I see coaches that have an eye for talent maybe on the scale of Gus. Nick Marshall will visit Athens soon, have no doubts that he will be ready to play. Gus also has opened up the game for Nick Marshall and the offense. He has an arm, maybe not the strength that Bobo wants, who can say. Think he consistently throws the football 70 yards or better, and he has "wheels".

I only say Ramsey would be running the show because he fits our system, I'm not saying he is a better QB than Bauta, just a better fit in Bobo's eyes. I think if Mason were to go down (I hope he doesn't) then we would be in better hands with Bauta over Ramsey at this point merely going off of what I saw against Troy and the leadership I believe Bauta brings. I thought Ramsey did a really good job, he missed a couple of check out's and missed a blitz pick up when he had Marshall in the backfield. I was screaming, move Marshall to your right kid! But there is no doubt that he has some zip in that arm, he can spin it for sure!

More
9 years 7 months ago #62933 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Troy Game Day Thread
Hmmmmm......Mason at wideout.....did they end up running the ball to his side as well?

(maybe they want a "small" high ankle sprain?....just sayin :whistle: )

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds