Forum

Rematch ??

17 years 5 months ago #2079 by wlayton
Rematch ?? was created by wlayton
I've never been one for rematches but don't you think OSU and UM should play again for the NC ? They are BY FAR the best 2 teams in the country and probably should play again but I'm pretty sure they won't. If I'm OSU, I'm saying "NO WAY, we beat you once and we have nothing to prove etc. BUT, don't they HAVE to play it again ??

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #2080 by sicemdawgs
Replied by sicemdawgs on topic Re: Rematch ??
no osu showed that they are supieor to michigan can't see lloyd carr making better adjustments than tressel for a rematch anyway i'd give fla, southern cal, or even ark a fair shot

GO DAWGS!!!!!

More
17 years 5 months ago #2083 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Rematch ??
I agree with you to a point (and again, I don't like rematches), but the irony here is that I feel most everyone still thinks that UM is the 2nd best team in the country, therefore....rematch. USC, Arkansas and especially UF couldn't beat UM if their lives depended on it (although I would love to see Ark in the NC game). It will be interesting to see if a rematch materializes.

PVBDAWG

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #2087 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re: Rematch ??
Here's the thing: college football is having a down year. That's obvious from the fact that Ohio State is the ONLY team in BCS history to score a perfect 1.00 for a week. That means that there is NO DOUBT in any human's or computer's mind that they are the best team in the country. There's nobody close, meaning there's no competition. USC could beat Michigan, and it'd be a good game. Arkansas could possibly beat Michigan, and it would be a good game. There's no way Florida could beat Michigan the way both teams are playing right now, so they're out. ND has proven that they can't beat Michigan, so forget them. But as far as any of those teams hanging with Ohio State for even three, let alone four quarters? Forget about it. Do the math. USC could beat OSU right now and OSU's BCS average would still give them the national championship.

Also, the fact that Michigan loses a game this late in the season and is still going to play OSU for the "national" championship means that there's no competition out there. No one else is even close to A playoff probably wouldn't make a difference this year, because there's no competition. OSU would blow through, bye week or not. Michigan, let alone Ohio State. Let's face it, you could put the NFC West against Ohio State right now and the Buckeyes would win. Everyone else is playing for second (or third) place right now.

Come on. Until this week we were talking about Rutgers playing for the NC. Now they're a nice story and all, but look at their schedule. They're not an elite football program; they're just lucky, plus the Big East backloads their schedules so that the league is designed to have a November like this every year. Rutgers was never in the running, and sorry to say, SEC fans (like myself), neither was anyone in the SEC. When we're talking about Florida and Auburn and LSU being the class of the SEC and Arkansas runs the table, it's called having a down year. It'll pass, but that's the way it is this year. OSU caught an incredible break in terms of competition this year; they've had essentially two games: Texas and Michigan. They also have a Division 1-A that is virtually devoid of any real teams.

So you're going to have a rematch, whether anyone wants one or not. It's not fair; like I said in 2003, if you can't win your conference, you shouldn't be able to play for the NC. Period. But that's what you'll get. And if Michigan should pull off the upset, OSU will be like, "Wait a second, we already beat you once!" Kind of like FSU-Florida in '96.

Sasquatch. Atlantis. A Division 1-A National Championship. Put them all under your pillow and wait for a dollar, Virginia. There ain't no Santy after all.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

More
17 years 5 months ago #2090 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Rematch ??
Good post dapolla, but "nobody's close", your previous post also said OSU is "superior" to UM? I agree that OSU is the best team in the country but 3 points isn't "nobody's close" or "superior".

PVBDAWG

• wlayton
  • Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
17 years 5 months ago #2098 by GatorinGA
Replied by GatorinGA on topic Re: Rematch ??
I have always believed that No. 1 should play No. 2, period. If it happens to be a re-match, so be it. What are you going to do, bypass No. 2 for No. 3 just so that there will not be a rematch. That's just silly. Michigan is No. 2 in my opinion and deserves the rematch.
USC lost to an unranked team, not the No. 1 team in the country so it's laughable to me that all these USC lovers hold them up on a pedestal.
I agree that Florida has no claim. If Arkansas blows out LSU this Friday and then blows out Florida in the SEC game, then they'll have the best argument but I think LSU has a good chance of beating Arkansas. Arkansas was totally outplayed by Mississippi State this weekend and had to win the game with special teams (like my Gators). If they play like that against LSU, they will lose.

More
Time to create page: 0.035 seconds