Forum

Somebody needs to get fired

17 years 6 months ago #1698 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
I remember Bryant and Noll, as well. I was a 13 year old kid and college football fan when Bryant died, and I was in my early 20s whenever Noll stopped coaching. I can also give you the reasons why their methods wouldn't work today in one sentence.....ready? The problem is today's spoiled, pampered, prima donna athletes. If Bryant or Noll were coaching at the college level today, those kids would transfer faster than you could sing Glory, Glory to Ole Georgia.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #1702 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
I agree sports are full of a bunch of self absorbed prima donna T.O. wannabes, but...I think a ton of kids still go play college ball that can be lead that way. For every thug at Miami there are untold numbers of DJ Shockleys that play at a school because they love it. For every Quincy Carter headache there is a David Pollack or David Green. I think college coaches can still be old fashioned because if a kid transfers he has to sit out a year and schools are less likely to take a big headache now than maybe a few years ago.

When is the last time a big name talent transferred for reasons other than playing time? Randy Moss way back when? If someone of Bear Bryants stature were alive today (Joe Pa and Bowden are nowhere near) he would command the respect. I think Joe Pa is closer than Bowden. FSU seems to be completely out of control. Bowden is losing the Alums slowly but surely.

I hate the attitude that strict discipline could not work because of todays kids. Give me a little lesser talent with laser like focus and hard work and we will beat the superior talent and superior egos every time. When is the last time a big named WR prima donna won the Superbowl? A tough coach can build a team from inferior parts and win.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1703 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
kentdaddy, I just felt that you were younger than me. I could tell because I'm just as competitive, passionate, fired up Dawg fan as you are but you will mellow somewhat as you get older like I appear to have (my wife says I'm much worse and that I haven't mellowed any--still scream at the TV etc, kids run out of the room). I'm turning 57 tomorrow but still feel like 25. Yes, Nease, we covered that pretty well. I had mentioned how Valdosta recruited out of state even. They recruited John Bond from Miss. to come play QB for Valdosta then went on to play QB for Miss. State Univ. I use to watch the Bear coach when I was younger. Amazing coach, 195 lb. DL back then, also remember beating them with the "flea flicker". Man, I'm getting old.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 6 months ago #1707 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
Good points, kentdaddy, and no, i dont remember anyone since Randy Moss, but Moss didnt transfer...he was told that he couldn't play at Notre Dame, so he tried to go to FSU. He failed a drug test while undergoing a phsyical, and Bobby Bowden told him to take a hike here as well. I have a co-worker who played high school ball with Moss in West Virginia, and he told me that there was no way Moss was considering Marshall OR WVU. WVU turned him down because of his checkered past as a HS student, but Marshall told him to come on and go there. marshall was his absolute last chance to play major college football. Oh, and I have never remembered a UGA athlete acting like Moss, T.O, or any other of the misfits some schools have to put up with. Well, except maybe for Quincy Carter. Or, maybe I am just partial to the school i love, and refused to see bad behavior, lol.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #1708 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
wlayton,
My wife says the same thing. I play a lot of basketball and work out a lot so I usually feel 25 or so. I have been told I would mellow as I age too and I keep waiting for it. I still love to compete and I really love fast cars. The only difference is now I can afford them where as before I had to read about them.

Underdog,
I would have to say Quincy was the most spioled brat I ever heard of in Athens. I had a guy down here for the game tell me that Q walked out of a restaurant in Athens without paying and when confronted he told the manager "don't you know who I am?" A coach came and paid the bill. I also heard he would call and tell his position coach to "tell Jim I won't be at practice today". I do not know if those stories are true but I do not doubt it.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1709 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
kentdaddy, you like fast cars too? What kind of cars do you like. I love the old muscle cars and own and have owned several. Want to collect more. What's your preference?

PVBDAWG

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds