Forum

Somebody needs to get fired

17 years 6 months ago #1687 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
UnderDog37, you hit the nail square on the head with your last 2 posts. I too believe that the head coach should be calm, cool and totally under control so that in crucial situations his players will follow his example and not panic or lose control. The HC should use his assistants, in their respective areas (DC, OL, LB, DL etc), to get the kids jacked up and ready to play 110% crazy on the field. History shows a number of big time coaches and hall of famers that were for the most part very calm, cool and under control, ie, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Tony Dungy, Bowden and even Dooley was excitable on the field but was very calm cool and under control. Dooley used Erk to fire up the troups as did Richt with Van Gorder. Great post UnderDog37.

PVBDAWG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1688 by UnderDog37
Replied by UnderDog37 on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
You are right, dude. Coach Landry was a fine example and leader, and just about the only person who condemned him for his demeanor was Duane Thomas, who was kind of a whacko, even if he was a great player. Coach Dooley stated on numerous occasions that his chief motivator was Erk Russell, and I dont remember anyone that was critical of Dooley's methods or emotional responses on the sidelines. Donnan, on the other hand, was, by all accounts, a tyrant who managed to alienate just about everyone in Athens with his attitude AND with his idiotic statements that the UGA-GT rivalry shouldn't mean much because they were not in the SEC. The bottom line is that the chemistry of this staff was damaged whenever Coach Van Gorder left, just as it was in 1981, whenever Coach Russell left to start his dynasty at Ga. Southern. It was great for them, but damaging to us on both occasions.

• UnderDog37
  • Visitor
17 years 6 months ago #1694 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
I do not care where some passion comes from, just as long as it comes. Hell, let the waterboy rev the boys up. I just want to see some emotion.

I think time has clouded some memories if people do not remember Shula and Landry yelling at people on the sidelines. I have personally seen the NFL video. Look at Cowher, Parcells, Walsh, Knoll or Ditka as passionate guys. Besides that is the NFL where tactics are different. The college greats like Bear Bryant, Paterno, Osbourne, Spurrier (I hate writing that name) or Schembeckler all had fire. I saw Rudy and clearly remember the Rockne speech too! No one wants the evil Woody Hayes that punches Clemson players. We want to good woody hayes who gets people fired up.

I understand examples like Pete Carroll exist for the mellow argument, but I propose that USC played powder puff defense because of the free love Pete Carroll approach and a chimpanzee could get points out of that lineup. Bowden has never been afraid to get on some people either...more so back in the day than now. No one really wants to wake him from his nap during the games today.

When Munson asks the boys to Hunker down one more time they have an obligation to do so. I think if we piped Munson over the PA at games really loud then Vandy had no chance to score and neither would UT. That is the solution. Radio implants feeding Munson directly to the brain.

More
17 years 6 months ago #1695 by wlayton
I understand Cowher, Ditka, Knoll and Bryant, but Osbourne? He always looked like he was on valium. And Pete Carroll as mellow? I've seen him mouth expletitives on the sideline that a sailor would be embarrassed at.

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 6 months ago #1696 by wlayton
kentdaddy, are you old enough to even remember Bear Bryant and Chuck Noll on the sidelines?

PVBDAWG

More
17 years 6 months ago #1697 by kentdaddy
Replied by kentdaddy on topic Re: Somebody needs to get fired
Sir yes Sir! I am 37. I went to highschool in Newnan GA SW of ATL. I vividly remember when Bear died because all the freeway overpasses dow I-85 had banners hanging from them. I have read a ton on Bryant and Chuck Knoll coached the Steelers until 1991. They went straight from Knoll to Cowher. I admit that I have seen video of Bryant also.

I guess I have never seen Pete Carroll freak out and maybe I was relying on some good old fashioned California Stereotypes on that one. I will youtube Osbourne and see what I can find. I guess the style I like is Cowher. He is never rude or an ass to the media but you can tell he really really cares (atleast until this year) and even pro players play hard for him.

Hey, wlayton did you see that Nease HS is now on probation for cheating in getting prime players? We talked about that previous regarding Tebow. I can't believe they got caught. That has to be some blatant stuff. I just read the TU article about the jobs and the rides and things. It sounds like Oklahoma in the mid 80's minus (we hope) the drugs and strippers.

How old did you think I was?

More
Time to create page: 0.042 seconds