Forum

G Day Game

9 years 2 weeks ago #67290 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic G Day Game
rockdawg, a lot of thought in your post, more than x's and o's, gets to the heart of what is mentioned on this board often . . . . "Teaching".

You said . . . .

Glad to see the D looking better. In spite of the loss, I was encouraged by the South Carolina game last year because a young, inexperienced D with a new coach made a big play at the end of the game to give us a chance to win. That is players putting it out for a coach and a coach making a great call at a pressure moment.

In the video below I particularly enjoyed Jeremy Pruitt's 7th grade student example. Our team may lose every game because of the defense, but it will not be because there was a lack of leadership and teaching. Pruitt and his group are committed. Can't say that I have witnessed that type of commitment in recent years, overall.

This is the type video that I will hang on to, watch more than once.

Did notice that Pruitt had a couple of words for Keyon Brown at the beginning of the video . . . . Keyon is a "bad dude".

www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041515aab.html

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #67291 by Buc
thriller, Connor Shaw had talent, also had that attitude that makes those around him play "larger".

Shaw was allowed to "tuck the ball" and save many plays with his feet.

Started to post this yesterday, let it go, but . . . .

Having watched the G Day Game several times, wanted to get it straight in my head that Faton Bauta could run the 2015 offense. No different than others, I read and listen to what folks have to say.

There were several times in the game Saturday that Faton Bauta could have taken off and gained a lot of yardage. I realize the "restrictions" placed on the quarterbacks and others. "If" the tackling had been live, meaning on the QB's, not a doubt in my mind that Faton Bauta would have done exactly what Connor Shaw did for South Carolina. If Faton Bauta gets to the outside, some defensive back is going to face off with a quarterback that now is a running back. Hope that makes sense.

According to many of the players, Faton Bauta throws the football more than adequately. In my mind there is some "political" stuff from some that report that Faton has a less than adequate arm. I prefer Faton over the other two quarterbacks for more than one reason . . . . understands the playbook better than the other two. Running the football . . . . check out some of his videos. Anyone that liked AM, this is a larger version of AM.

Mike Bobo and Mark Richt do not like for their quarterbacks to run the football. They teach offense "one way" . . . . "their way" and whether we like it or not, the college offensive game is changing.

Question for anyone . . . .

Think quarterbacks with great running skills cause problems for defenses? Think about Nick Marshall at Auburn, how far did he get running the football? Marshall was running the football against Jeremy Pruitt's defense. Nick Marshall ran the football against Alabama, and beat them. Fact.

I have come to this conclusion. Time for our head coach to recognize where the college game is currently. Mark Richt should be about winning football games, not quarterbacks being drafted high in the NFL. Fans enter Sanford Stadium wanting a win, not really caring how that comes about. Not keeping excellent football players on the sidelines because they don't "fit" a certain system.

Another question . . . .

Folks do we consider Mark Richt successful? How do you feel at the end of a season finishing second in the East, and this year with all of the talent in Athens, many say we will finish there again. Games have not been played, but . . . . Mark Richt is still the one that controls who does what and when.

Passing on thoughts . . . . again.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #67292 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic G Day Game
I like your thoughts, Buc. Hitting a long pass CAN mean throwing it 50 yards in the air. But it can also mean making the safeties play a little closer to the line than they like, since you have "wheels", and then just dropping it over their heads.

FB sounds like he can do that. I remember one throw, 35 years ago, that went down in the books as "93 yard pass for TD" against the Gaytors. The actual throw covered 13 yards in the air. That's because the kid tossing it had those "wheels", and the kid catching it did too. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #67293 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic G Day Game
This is why I will not be drinking the kool aid this year. It is not about the players. They are a fine and talented bunch of guys. It is the boss I am concerned about..

Buc said "Mark Richt is still the one that controls who does what and when."

Well. that says that when we do a pooch kick.. and I should say he manned up and took responsibility.. but.. there is no sense going over a dead horse. I don't want no dead horses this season. Ya hear that boss? Let the talent do their thing and you just make sure it doesn't run off the tracks. Get some recruits and demand a practice facility.

2 cents worth.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm

• stevedawg
  • stevedawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • DAWGS.com moderator
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #67294 by Buc
Good conversation thriller.

You were a defensive back in high school if my memory serves me correctly. Feel sure that you watch closely what happens when the ball is in the air.

Watching a receiver get free downfield and have the ball laid up and the receiver runs under it, big excitement.

As you mention, not only was that a short toss in JAX, and look at the excitement that has been created over "the play" from that day until this one. Good point. Most passes in college and the NFL are under 20 yards in the air, rest comes for the receiver. Not a quarterback on the 2015 squad that cannot put the football on a line for 20 yards.

Anyone remember the game in Orlando against Nebraska? Remember the pass from AM to Conley? Saw a lot of leg work on the part of Conley after catching the "short toss".

Defenses have become too good at getting after the quarterback this day and time. If I know where I can "find you" play after play, you lose.

May be that turn about is fair play. Mark Richt does not play Faton Bauta because he does not fit his system, and his system is what? . . . . Maybe Mark Richt should not be the head coach because in "crunch time" he makes "wrong decision(s)" . . . . happens every year and it costs us football games. No just last year.

thriller, that "20 yard pass" created a sound byte by Larry Munson that goes like this . . . . referred to the 20 yard pass above. Toss was made at the 5 yard line, caught at the 25 yard line.

Any excitement over this "little 20 yard pass"? Some of the coaching staff needs to wake up, game has changed. Stubborn attitudes cost us games. Costs some coaches their jobs.

And this . . . . referred to by thriller.

The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, yankeedawg1

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #67295 by Buc
Steve posted . . . .

Let the talent do their thing and you just make sure it doesn't run off the tracks. Get some recruits and demand a practice facility.

2 cents worth.

Takes me back to what I have read on our board.

Stay out of the way Mark Richt, that is the reason I think our program has a fighting chance to move forward. You have had a long and profitable stay in Athens. It is appreciated, to a point. That point went south somewhere around 2007. Speaking to coach hiring decisions and decisions made by you in the time slot that so many mention, 2007 and up until the hiring of the defensive group now in place.

Mark Richt, you and I both know that you went out on a limb with the rapid hiring of Pruitt/Rocker and Company. You and I both know that after the JAX game against Nebraska, the bottom was about to fall out. You and I both know that you did not want to face the same scrutiny that you were faced with when Willie Martinez had failed miserably. You and I both know that you were having a major problem finding someone to take WM's place. Like AM later admitted, there was a "hot seat" feeling in Athens.

Lucky for you and the rest of us, along came Coach Will Friend. He saved your butt with his recommendation of Pruitt. Press wanting to keep their seats in Butts-Mehre gave you full credit. The single best hire you made in 14 years at the helm was Will Friend. Not discounting Bryan McClendon, but he was already around the program, and if he had not been treated with more respect in the recent past, he was wanted by many. Think we still face that possibility, especially with McGarity sitting where he does.

Whether folks are on board with Pruitt being all that or not, he has changed the way football is taught in the Classic City. He will not change. Pruitt and Company understand that we have to continue to recruit heavily on the defense. They are not doing things the way they were done prior to their arrival.

Think I have to mention this again . . . . Not making a stop in Columbus, Georgia on this tour is simply not smart coming from a D1 school like Georgia. Not like the lack of funding is the problem. Someone or more than one have stepped on your feelings and that is regrettable. Hate to say this but . . . . that is the difference between you and urban meyer. Mark Richt, Bobby Bowden did not teach you that method in recruiting.

Seems to me that you are feeling "relief" since our program in Athens appears to be on the "rise again, finally". Thank you Coach Will Friend, same coach that Mike Bobo convinced to make the journey to Colorado. Will Friend understands what coaching material looks like. Same as Rob Sales understands what body types for the offensive line look like.

"I shall return" . . . . borrowed from General Douglas McArthur, 5 Star General, U. S. Army.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds