Forum

G Day Game

9 years 2 weeks ago #67243 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic G Day Game
Picked the following observation up from Yahoo Sports.

CENTER OF ATTENTION: The quarterbacks are in the spotlight, but another key spring battle is the search to replace longtime starting center David Andrews. Isaiah Wynn, a sophomore, started with the first-team offense but had a shotgun snap sail over Ramsey's head on the opening series. Richt said Wynn had similar problems early in the spring and said Brandon Kublanow and Hunter Long also are working at center.

Question . . . .

The University of Georgia Football Team does not have players for two of the very important positions ready to be labeled as "starters". Someone explain to me why we did not have a player ready to step up after "Boss" left.

Maybe I am out in left field, but this kind of thing drives me nuts. Yes I know that other teams have problems such as this. What I do not understand is this . . . . Let's say "Boss" goes down in 2014 . . . . who steps up and takes his place? Hunter Long? If that is the answer, why then is he in a battle for the starting center position? Is Isaiah Wynn that good, or . . . . am I just looking for "coaching answers".

On this board, there have been those that ogredawg mentions that have been a part of Dawgs.com. for a considerable amount of time. This board also was the one board that got the "DEPTH" issue front and center, goes back many years and ogredawg was one of the first. Yes, I keep a vault and can back up what I read and say.

Will say this again . . . . Pruitt/Rocker and Company have changed the way football is "approached" in Athens. Long overdue, much appreciated.

Same as ogredawg, will speak my mind, old timers that have watched Georgia football for many years tend to do that. I call it a "right of passage".

Have I forgotten the game in Columbia, South Carolina last season, nope. Have I forgotten the Tech game in Athens, nope.

See where some are trying to promote the Black Jerseys again. Nick Saban would welcome that. Nuff said on that.

Will say this again . . . . Mark Richt, do what you do best, and many of us understand exactly what that is.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #67244 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic G Day Game
Buc "Have I forgotten the game in Columbia, South Carolina last season, nope. Have I forgotten the Tech game in Athens, nope."

I second that nope.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc

• stevedawg
  • stevedawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • DAWGS.com moderator
9 years 2 weeks ago #67245 by Buc
Steve do I think we can be better in 2016? This is what I have to say about that . . . . I would hope so. 2015 I do believe we have a bumper crop of outstanding players. However, I do know this, there are other teams in the SEC that have "bumper crops" of outstanding players.

I often refer to the Alabama program and how it appears Georgia has latched on, doing many of the same things that were foreign to us just a couple of years back. History speaks for itself. Alabama comes to face off again between the Hedges, will leave little room for doubt as to our progress. Alabama has since Nick Saban took over out recruited Mark Richt.

Saturday, October the 3rd, we will have many questions answered about where we stand.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #67246 by Buc
Lorenzo Carter.

Faced off with John Theus and don't think I have ever seen a player with more talent and "spirit" than LC. If Lorenzo continues on his current path, we won't get to watch him for long. The NFL is already "drooling" over LC. Lorenzo could be the best defensive player ever at Georgia, speaking about either the defensive end or linebacking position. Players like Carter putting their time in as young men in Athens, can only help recruiting down the road.

If memory serves me correctly, and sometimes my gray matter fails me, Jordan Jenkins said recently that there is no limit on what LC can and will do, both in Athens and elsewhere.

Back to Theus. Theus had problems with "understanding" that 5***** don't necessarily mean spit in the SEC. What Theus did was recognize what he needed to do to and stepped up and became what all of us hoped he would be. ogredawg and I tossed that around for a while, but sometimes it is not how one starts, it is the finishing line that folks remember.

Guess what I am trying to say is . . . . does not make a lot of difference who faces off with Lorenzo Carter, my bet is he will kick some butt before the game is over. Sometimes it does not take a dozen plays to win, sometimes one play changes everything.

Same can be said about coaching . . . . sometimes one decision can ruin four quarters of hard work. Just saying.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #67247 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic G Day Game
Carolina and Tech beat us because of stoopid coaching decisions. But the gaytors flat out beat us because they totally out played us and we were unprepared especially on the defensive side of the ball. Giving up almost 400 yards on the ground and losing to a QB who will not be starting for them this year, and a coach who was fired bothers me more than the dumb ass play calls that cost us the other 2. I expect the coaches to choke in at least one game every year, that has been the norm over the last several years. Richting will happen again, but having a team unprepared shows deeper problems and I hope to never see that anymore. No excuse for another gaytor debacle this year.

thecountrynation.com

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #67248 by Buc
Being as there is nothing to talk about, maybe this . . . .

Many years back we discussed the "kicking/punting game". Don't know that I have seen a lot said about punting recently.

Will say this, have never been comfortable with our punter. Too slow foot meeting football. Also think he has an "attitude".

Mark Richt needs to recognize that punting has been a huge part of SEC Championship Football long before he put pads on. Not a "twinkle" in his parents eyes when SEC coaches understood the punting game.

In my mind, punting comes under Special Teams, and once again we are coming up short in more areas than covering punts and everything else that falls under the Special Team banner.

Mark Richt enters 2015 without a Special Teams Coach. He has one coach from the offense and another from the defense "acting" as Special Team Coaches.

Stubborn, maybe so, another shortcoming from someone making over 4 million dollars a year and not thoroughly understanding football in DEPTH.

Awful game decisions more than once, more than one year, and total misunderstanding on the value of Special Teams.

Question . . . . How is the Indoor Practice Facility coming along? Bet this . . . . over the Summer that question will arise more than once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds