Forum

G Day Game

9 years 2 weeks ago #67278 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic G Day Game
ogredawg, outstanding post. Maybe the most factual, forward thinking post that I have ever read, here or elsewhere. For a long time I know for sure.

Send Richt/Schottenheimer a note. You and I along with others are allowed to purchase product and tickets, but not get involved in reasonable, sensible football solutions.

Would really like to see Schottenheimer step up and show some of the "grit" that Pruitt did.

Some of your post reflects what I have read about Brian Schottenheimer and his tendencies. Run football, screens, tightend involvement.

We have what . . . . offensive line, running backs, tightends, and what appears to be a defense that should show improvement over 2014. Sounds like a great group to have a leader like Faton Bauta. His skills would also aid the defense. My opinion.

More and more I fall into the camp of this quarterback battle (supposed battle) coming down to "Head Coach Speak".
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogredawg, DAWGtm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #67279 by Buc
When Jeremy Pruitt first signed on with Georgia, one of the testimonials that followed him from FSU was this . . . . Tough on the football field, full of piss and vinegar.

Practice over, his office door remains open, everyone welcome, players and coaches alike. Couple of times on the board I have said that I hope all of that is true. Trying my best to relive what I see in the video below. No two coaches are exactly alike, but there are coaches and then . . . . there are "coaches/teachers/leaders".

I have high hopes for our defense in 2015. Said above, there have been changes, and there will be more. Probably last time that I will post this particular video, just having a "spell" remembering special folks.

Huge piece of Georgia history. I said that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #67280 by Buc
Seems there is a lot going on with the center position. Same can be said for other parts of the offensive line.

Kublanow worked at center in the next to last Spring practice, the entire practice. Like it. One thing for sure, Kublanow definitely has that "nasty" side. Not dirty, nasty.

If for some reason Wynn ends up at left guard, makes me feel good about Rob Sales. He is doing the same thing with the offensive line that Pruitt did with the defense last season. New coaches can watch all film available, but their mind is never made up until they get on the practice field with the players. Fact.

Makes me think that Dyshon Sims is headed to the left tackle spot. At least he will be getting snaps at left tackle come Fall practice.

Never want a player to go down, does happen and the position has to be filled. Might be that we have another very good offensive line coach in Athens. For sure I was a backer of Will Friend, along with others.

Right guard Greg Pyke will play the 2015 Season at right guard and the following year will be a high draft pick in the NFL. Houston has the right tackle spot nailed down.

Beginning to get comfortable with the offensive line, only took 15 years under Richt to understand the need for offensive linemen.

Feel like a lot has been accomplished in Athens, especially with the coaching turnovers. That can be a tough thing to do, but it seems we made our way through.

Once again we did not get a lot of "lip service" from the defensive coaches during Spring practice, hardly a peep. Tells me real progress has been made.

McGarity's time to step up and speak to the progress of the Indoor Practice Facility.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #67281 by thriller
Replied by thriller on topic G Day Game
Buc, speaking of indoor practice facilities,I think you and everyone else on the board will appreciate this. It's pouring rain here in Alpharetta, at my office. I always park about 150 yards from the front door (big parking lot). I looked in the back seat for an umbrella (no, normally I don't use one of those, but today it was pretty much needed).

Unfortunately for me, the only one back there was my wife's umbrella - urnge and white with a "T" on it.

So I'm soaking wet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, DAWGtm

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #67282 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic G Day Game
As well you should be Thriller. Soaking wet.

the Indoor Practice Facility. If you want to attract super stars... well... I suppose you are going to need a nice one. Maybe take about half the payola fund and build one. :whistle:

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thriller, Buc, DAWGtm, growl

• stevedawg
  • stevedawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • DAWGS.com moderator
9 years 2 weeks ago #67283 by Buc
A recurring thought or two . . . .

Our football program did reasonably well up until somewhere around 2006. Most here and elsewhere were ok with the Mark Richt way, myself included.

Not long after 2006, begin to hear some rumblings, fans were beginning to ask questions about whether or not Mark Richt was moving in the right direction.

At that point we were half way into what is now going on 15 years for the head coach.

Fast forward. Going to ask you to put yourself into my world. Soon will be 75 years of age. Have been associated with the University of Georgia one way or another since the 1940's. Young, yes. Said when I first came to this board, my Uncle was a leader in the Agriculture Department. Name, Dr. Bill Brown, Phd.

After that in high school my varsity coach was Al Jeffreys, last football year at Georgia, 1946, a pretty good football team and a damn great high school football coach after leaving the UGA. Came down from Conneticut to play in Athens.

Mark Richt, head coach started to get under my skin after 2007, but there have been years after 2007 that sometimes made me want to drop all discussions about the Red and Black.

Mark Richt in my opinion lost his way, did not have the same competence that some other college football coaches had and have displayed in a way that really points to the truth.

This could be long, but will try and shorten the post.

What I have seen happen in Athens that keeps me hanging on by my fingernails is the fact that some coaches have arrived, have brought new ideas and coaching habits with them that quite frankly were and maybe still are “foreign” to our head coach. I truly believe that Mark Richt lives in a make believe world at times.

Every year there seems to be hope, well played by the media. Life line to them. Again, there is hope and I have come to the conclusion that it is because half of the Bulldog fans have come to the same realization . . . . “It ain't working, and it needs to be fixed”.

Last year (2014) there was a lot of upside. New defensive coaches and the arm waving stopped almost immediately. What did not change was . . . . the Carolina decision and the Tech decision. Not the first time, fear it will not be the last time.

Reason for this post, I know that I often mention a lack of “Leadership”. Broken record, I understand, get emails to that effect. Been said before . . . . Not willing to give Mark Richt another 15 years. Mark Richt recently, last year I think, said he was still a young man and could continue to coach for many years, much like Bobby Bowden was the comparison.

I read every post on this board and some of the others. Going into a “quiet time” before the Fall and when Fall practice starts, we will again be National Champions according to those that dare not look closely at where we are and have been.

When I say and I often do . . . . “Mark Richt Stay Out Of The Way”, that is not being ugly that is being truthful based on PERFORMANCE.

Mark Richt is leaving on a tour, does so each year. This year Columbus, Georgia is not one of the stops. There have been some problems as I understand it, but . . . . that will come back to bite us in the butt. Awful decision, but I have become used to awful decisions by our head coach.

My two cents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: growl

More
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds