Forum

IMPLOSION anyone??

9 years 4 months ago #65801 by rockdawg
Replied by rockdawg on topic IMPLOSION anyone??
Thanks, Buc.

You are thinking out of the box, not out in left field. I don't know if Murray could jump directly into an OC position, but he is going to make somebody a fantastic coach and his learning curve will be very short. I would take him over Lilly at this point. But I think he probably wants a real shot at the NFL, and is not ready to come out.

Green had leadership and poise. Stafford had raw talent. Murray combined part of both, but added a commitment and intensity that has been unmatched at UGA by very many players or coaches. I think his attitude had a lot of Erk in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #65802 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic IMPLOSION anyone??

rockdawg wrote: Thanks, Buc.

You are thinking out of the box, not out in left field. I don't know if Murray could jump directly into an OC position, but he is going to make somebody a fantastic coach and his learning curve will be very short. I would take him over Lilly at this point. But I think he probably wants a real shot at the NFL, and is not ready to come out.

Green had leadership and poise. Stafford had raw talent. Murray combined part of both, but added a commitment and intensity that has been unmatched at UGA by very many players or coaches. I think his attitude had a lot of Erk in it.

Guess I have to believe that there is a young offensive coordinator, not that far away from the playing field that would/could change the game. Over the years I continue to see the same "shifting" going on with both offensive and defensive coaches. By that meaning, there is no turnover, same folks always mentioned, just a different team.

On this board from time to time the subject comes up about whether or not we should or should not stay in the pro style. Sometimes I want to say, does anyone this day and time think that the pro style is run the same way by "every offensive coordinator". Just like any other formation, there are multiple variations than can be run or thrown from the pro style. Will leave that alone . . . . for now. :)

AM along with being a "team player", suffered a serious injury in high school and college. Have said this before on this board . . . . would loved to have seen AM behind this offensive line.

If Ramsey prepares over the summer, he has a chance to be something special. Return of Malcolm Mitchell makes any defense keep an eye on him. Don't mean this to be ugly . . . . Ramsey has the good fortune to have many of the "parts" that AM never had, or were not used. Offensive coordinator choice at this point is as important as choosing Pruitt to replace grantham.

I am glad that we have Alabama coming to Athens in 2015, believer in getting better requires playing the best. If Alabama is not the best in 2015, will not be far from it. Have to say this . . . . Nick Saban does not believe in or allow "roller coaster football" in Tuscaloosa. Until we learn that lesson, we will never be all that folks like me want us to be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: averagedawg, yankeedawg1

More
9 years 4 months ago #65803 by Dawg With Style
Replied by Dawg With Style on topic IMPLOSION anyone??
Last spring, in my first interview with Jeremy Pruitt, the new Georgia defensive coordinator was talking about the criticism that comes with the territory of being at a school with a passionate fan base. I mentioned that even Mike Bobo, his new colleague and offensive counterpart, had plenty of detractors. Pruitt was incredulous.

"I don't see how anybody can criticize him with the numbers he has put up," Pruitt said.

Yeah, so one would think.

It almost seems silly to feel compelled to defend a coach who has assembled some of the best offenses in school history. It might also seem irrelevant now that Bobo has left to become the head coach at Colorado State.

But the fact that such an accomplished coach was never appreciated by a large portion of the fan base is very relevant. Yeah, there's a sizeable portion of fans who realize that Bobo's departure is a big loss for the program. He's more than just one of the best recruiters in college football and a very talented quarterbacks coach. He's also a creative offensive mind and, yes, a very capable play-caller.

Yet, there's still a large faction of misguided fans who want to help him pack. Those fans will never be satisfied with anything unless the Bulldogs win a national championship, and maybe not even then.

They conveniently overlook the facts. Such as this:

Bobo served as offensive coordinator for 92 games. During that span, the Bulldogs scored 30 or more points 57 times. They topped 40 points 29 times and surpassed 50 points 13 times.

The dissatisfaction stems from the fact that Georgia lost 31 games when Bobo was calling the plays. Never mind the fact that they gave up 30 or more points in 22 of those losses. Of course, it's no secret that Georgia's defenses have ranged from inconsistent to awful since Brian Vangorder left Athens. Yet for some reason, much blame for the losses was heaped on Bobo.

Again, look at the numbers. The Bulldogs have scored more than 400 points in all but one season under Bobo. The lone exception came in 2009, when Joe Cox was the quarterback and the top running backs were Washaun Ealey and Caleb King. The Dogs scored 529 points in 2012 and have scored 500 so far this season, the two highest point totals in school history. They did it this year without a dominant receiver, with Gurley's four-game suspension, and with a quarterback, Hutson Mason, whom many fans labeled mediocre at best.

Bobo's critics ("haters" is so overused) dismiss the numbers as a product of great talent.

First of all, that argument is fundamentally flawed. Have Nick Saban and Kirby Smart assembled great defenses at Alabama from spare parts and walk-ons? Pat Dye was a better coach when he had Bo Jackson. Gene Chizik won a national championship when he had Cam Newton.

Besides, the notion that Georgia has had superior offensive talent is simply not true. The Dogs have had nine first-team All-SEC offensive players in Bobo's eight seasons as offensive coordinator. And how many of those have been quarterbacks? That would be zero. Matthew Stafford and Aaron Murray each made second team once. He's never had more than two first-team All-SEC players in one season.

Well, sure, he's had ample talent with which to work. There's Stafford and Murray. Green overmatched college defensive backs. Knowshon Moreno, Todd Gurley and Nick Chubb would match up with any other school's running backs.

But it takes more than talent. Georgia has had just as much defensive talent over the past eight years but don't have the statistics to show for it.

An overstatement, you think? Just check out some of these names now playing -- and playing well -- in the NFL. Justin Houston, Geno Atkins, Brandon Boykin, Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree, Rechad Jones, Bacarri Rambo, Shawn Williams.

Bobo's departure is a huge loss. How much he will be missed, if at all, depends on whom Mark Richt hires to replace him. He could turn to his brother-in-law, Brad Johnson, and hire a quarterbacks coach. But can Johnson recruit? Can he coordinate an offense? After playing 17 years in the NFL, does Johnson have the desire to work 70-80 hours a week?

This is a matter that's in Richt's capable hands. He might find someone just as good as Bobo. Chances are he won't find anyone better because there aren't many out there, whether his detractors want to acknowledge it or not.

-- Guerry Clegg is an independent correspondent. You can write to him at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Read more here: www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/12/27/34870...l?rh=1#storylink=cpy

How Bout them Dawgs!!!!!!!

Ride it like you stole it

• Dawg With Style
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #65805 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic IMPLOSION anyone??
Mr. Cleggg said "This is a matter that's in Richt's capable hands. He might find someone just as good as Bobo. Chances are he won't find anyone better because there aren't many out there, whether his detractors want to acknowledge it or not."

Well now, hmmmm... Sounds like a problem to me. When I have a problem to solve I like to get to the root cause. That way things get cleared up quicker and we don't have that problem again.

So if we are up to our necks in alligators (no pun intended) then we need to find who left the door open.

Added: Now Richt is blowing hot air. Quote:""When you are at Georgia there will be interest from a lot of tremendous coaches," Richt said. That looks like a pooch kick to this old dawg.

Most people think that there are few OC's up to the task. Richt thinks there are many. It is looking more and more like the verdict is in. If indeed that is Richt's perception a new HC needed so we have a new perspective.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

9 years 4 months ago #65808 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic IMPLOSION anyone??

averagedawg wrote: While I won't discount those elite talents, Peyton Manning never won a NC.
A player named Tee Martin took our nemesis to the promise land.

Tee would never have started for a Richt led UGA; doesn't fit the pre-conceived mold.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, averagedawg

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #65809 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic IMPLOSION anyone??

Wartdawg wrote:

averagedawg wrote: While I won't discount those elite talents, Peyton Manning never won a NC.
A player named Tee Martin took our nemesis to the promise land.

Tee would never have started for a Richt led UGA; doesn't fit the pre-conceived mold.

He will however recruit "certain type quarterbacks" knowing that they will not make the playing field.

This needs to be said once more, maybe more than once.

Mike Bobo whether you like him or not, no offer was made to retain his services. Now we read this garbage about finding another Mike Bobo type, and what . . . . pay him more.

This my friends and enemies is the reason that we have basically played middle of the road football for 14 years. Mark Richt. At this point think I will refer to our head coach as (Mark Rich). Convinced more than ever since the parting of ways with the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, head coach is all about the money.

Rich said, Mike Bobo will make a great head coach, others have said the same. If that be true, why was he not offered a new contract with some of McGarity's hard earned money? Reports seem to indicate that Mike wanted to be paid equal money to other coordinators, not just Pruitt, other coordinators.

Spit will hit the fan if a new offensive coordinator is hired at a higher wage than Mike Bobo was paid.

Then there is this . . . . if the new hire is not worth more than Bobo's pay scale, what was accomplished other than keeping the money in the vault.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pulled from the article above that DWS posted.

This part about Mike Bobo.

The dissatisfaction stems from the fact that Georgia lost 31 games when Bobo was calling the plays. Never mind the fact that they gave up 30 or more points in 22 of those losses. Of course, it's no secret that Georgia's defenses have ranged from inconsistent to awful since Brian Vangorder left Athens. Yet for some reason, much blame for the losses was heaped on Bobo.

And this . . . .

First of all, that argument is fundamentally flawed. Have Nick Saban and Kirby Smart assembled great defenses at Alabama from spare parts and walk-ons? Pat Dye was a better coach when he had Bo Jackson. Gene Chizik won a national championship when he had Cam Newton.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many times on this board has the subject of recruiting heavily on the offensive side of the ball been compared to the defense?

Nick Saban and Kirby Smart assembling great defenses for what reason?

Could go real deep into the article, won't, shows just how little the author of the article knows and understands football.

Folks he works for allow this, won't be long and they will catch up with the AJC.

Again, Rich has made it a point that the offense be loaded and overloaded with talent. So much talent that too many waste their time under Rich thinking they have made the right decision. Rich does not understand defensive football, and as the years have moved along, same can be said about Rich and the offense.

What a stupid ass article.

This is the explaination for what was in the article . . . .
-- Guerry Clegg is an independent correspondent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: averagedawg

More
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds