Forum

New Georgia Defense

10 years 1 week ago #60010 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic New Georgia Defense
sadlerdawg, one thing that sticks with me in 2014. We had 8 wins last season. Now we see a total transformation in our defense and I have not seen as much hope in the followers of UGA football as I have read about this year.

What changed? Defensive Coordinator. Not one game has been played in 2014 and one would think that we are going to be in the final four. Is that because we now have Pruitt, or . . . .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 1 week ago #60013 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic New Georgia Defense
I'll be honest, Buc, I haven't seen any more hope this year than in years past. It's about the same as it is every spring IMO. Our fans find something each year that is "different" that will lead us to the promised land. Hopefully our fans will be right this time.

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, averagedawg

More
10 years 1 week ago #60015 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic New Georgia Defense
I was listening to Nick Saban recently.
He made a great point.
Championships are won in the winter, in April, in the summer.
Championships are won before the season begins.
I see that attitude in Jeremy Pruitt.
I don't see that attitude in Mark Richt.
Just my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, DAWGtm

More
10 years 1 week ago #60017 by Buc
A damn good opinion it is. Shared by others.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 1 week ago #60019 by growl
Replied by growl on topic New Georgia Defense
I've noticed more apathy than anything else where UGA is concerned lately. I think folks are finally fed up with the SOS they've been fed for so long. I'm one of 'em.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

More
10 years 6 days ago - 10 years 6 days ago #60054 by Buc

growl wrote: I've noticed more apathy than anything else where UGA is concerned lately. I think folks are finally fed up with the SOS they've been fed for so long. I'm one of 'em.

Your post above has really stayed with me growl. Have returned to this particular post several times.

Still having a hard time wrapping my arms around some of our young players not up to "so called speed" on defense. In my mind, it has not been a lack of talent, don't buy that for one second. I think that the lack of talent came from the coaching staff. Not just todd grantham, he supposedly had to answer to Mark Richt.

Watching what appears to be a "change of pace" this Spring, comes from a group of coaches that are talented and they are imposing their will on the players. Too often Richt has avoided being a coach on the field. Good as has been said many times, in the living rooms. I can point to numerous games that drove me up the wall with the lack of head coaching leadership.

grantham has let it be known in Louisville that the problems on the defense were not of his making. Without saying it out right, he basically said the UGA players were not smart enough to play winning football.

Read an article recently about Tracy Rocker and him being in agreement with Jeremy Pruitt's plan for the UGA defense. Tracy buys into the lighter, faster, better conditioned player. Below is a paragraph that I picked up, made me think that we have more going on defensively that what we are allowed to hear. If Toby Johnson becomes "all that" in the middle along with Floyd and Jenkins, not to mention Wilson, Carter, Herrera and others playing fast, this defense could do an about face quickly. Needs to, first two games pretty much spell out where we end up in 2014.

Floyd and Johnson could be a solid combo: There's no question that Georgia's defense still needs a lot of work. The secondary had its issues and the defensive line is still looking for more playmakers. But one thing that really stood out on Saturday was the play of defensive lineman Toby Johnson and linebacker Leonard Floyd. Both required constant double teams on Saturday. We all knew Floyd had the potential to be a very, very special player, and he constantly harassed the Red Team's quarterbacks. He finished with six tackles and broke up two passes. Floyd can play with his hand down when the Dawgs are in a 4-3 formation or at outside linebacker in a 3-4. As for Johnson, he could be one to watch for the Dawgs this year. He made his way to the quarterback early and often in the game before the Black Team's line adjusted to put an extra body on him. Still, he was able to break through even with that extra set of arms to battle.

growl, your choice of the word "apathy" is spot on, and I know where most of that fault lies. Hopefully corrections have been made for 2014. :)

Edit: Just for fun . . . .

Hooter's Waitress
My ‘ older ‘ pals will understand this . . . .

During a long day of looking around a car show , me, and a couple of my friends , stopped in at 'Hooter's' for some Hot Wings and a few beers.

After being there for a while, one of my friends asked me which waitress I would like to be stuck in an elevator with.

I told them " The one who knows how to fix elevators ."

I'm old, tired, and pee a lot. :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, averagedawg, growl

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds