Forum

Thinking Openly . . . .

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #79645 by Buc
Thinking Openly . . . . was created by Buc
Dabo Swinney has been employed by Clemson University as head coach since 2008. In that span of time Coach Swinney has two National Championships. Not always having the highest rated recruiting classes, that is if we accept the media’s grading of football talent. Guess the two championships prove that somewhere along the line “coaching players up” has meaning. Especially when looking at the two Clemson championships opponent . . . . Alabama. Believe most folks that are interested in college football concede that Saban is the most powerful coaching force in the game. Six(6) National Championships speak to that.

At our university, University of Georgia, we have two National Championships period. Proud of the two, however, certainly makes me wonder about decisions made and being made by those that somehow don’t quite understand how to reach the finish line.

Pressure will certainly build to new heights now that Clemson has taken the mighty Alabama Crimson Tide down . . . . “twice”. This time around, rather convincingly, 44-16.

There is a mountain of talent in Athens now, much more talent arriving in the 2019 Class of Recruits. Wonder if our “coaching level” will lead us to the Final Four next time around? 2019 Class should be a very “coachable group of athletes”. I hope so, the 2019 Class and entire football team belongs solely to Coach Kirby Smart.

Thinking openly . . . . :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 3 months ago #79646 by sadlerdawg
Replied by sadlerdawg on topic Thinking Openly . . . .
Buc, as you, and most on here know, I was one of the earliest and most vocal about bringing Kirby to Athens...I stand by that and am 100% glad that the previous regime was replaced by Kirby and his staff. That being said, several of Kirby's decisions, in game and otherwise, are leading me to wonder if he has the extra little bit required to get over the hump. Starting with chaney...i don't care what numbers people throw out there to show how potent the offense is, he is a terrible play caller, his calls don't fool good defenses...and I'm still not convinced the Justin Fields situation was handled properly...I'm not saying Fromm should have been removed as the starter, but the way Justin was used (and not) was baffling to me.....I have no idea if he would have stayed if he wasn't the starter, but If he were used more appropriately, I think it may have given Justin more to think about...again, goes back to chaney....and the moronic fake calls at ridiculous times in big games that Kirby made were real head scratchers... but anyway, guess we'll see next year (sound familiar????)

The SMART era CONTINUES!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, Wartdawg, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

More
5 years 3 months ago #79647 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Thinking Openly . . . .

sadlerdawg wrote: Buc, as you, and most on here know, I was one of the earliest and most vocal about bringing Kirby to Athens...I stand by that and am 100% glad that the previous regime was replaced by Kirby and his staff. That being said, several of Kirby's decisions, in game and otherwise, are leading me to wonder if he has the extra little bit required to get over the hump. Starting with chaney...i don't care what numbers people throw out there to show how potent the offense is, he is a terrible play caller, his calls don't fool good defenses...and I'm still not convinced the Justin Fields situation was handled properly...I'm not saying Fromm should have been removed as the starter, but the way Justin was used (and not) was baffling to me.....I have no idea if he would have stayed if he wasn't the starter, but If he were used more appropriately, I think it may have given Justin more to think about...again, goes back to chaney....and the moronic fake calls at ridiculous times in big games that Kirby made were real head scratchers... but anyway, guess we'll see next year (sound familiar????)

I agree completely. We could have gotten more time in with Fields and we could have let him be what he wanted to be during those times; an actual all around
QB. I would have gotten the kid a lot more snaps during the year and I would have let him throw the ball a lot more.

Chaney... I've said enough about him over the 1st two seasons. He looks great when we just go out there and "out athlete" our opponent.... outside of
that, not so much.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
5 years 3 months ago #79648 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Thinking Openly . . . .
sadlerdawg, I sometimes want to call folks out when our offensive numbers are tossed out. For example . . . . with the talent that we had on offense this year (just using 2018) I look at the teams we played to get the high average and while appreciated by me, the numbers do not reflect a genius calling those plays. I look further into the numbers that the same teams we faced showing up against other less talented squads and the outcomes are basically the same, numbers wise.

I am of the opinion that Chaney feels the offensive line can "move" anyone on any team we face. Offensive line has grown leaps and bounds, that however shows me that the offensive coordinator is thinking one track . . . . There was much chatter this year about falling short in the "Red Zone" . . . . "often". Reminded me a lot of the play calling in the Richt/Bobo days. That is not being ugly on my part, simply questioning the lack of "taking a closer look" at what is not working.

Tight ends, thought play calling would move forward from the previous coaches lack of using same, did not. Chaney is all about tight ends blocking which is a given . . . . when needed, not the entire game. I would wager that Belichick will jump for joy if Nauta is available when New England selects.

Could go on forever, just do not have the confidence in Chaney and Coley both "wearing the OC headphones". Will say this and stand by same . . . . Coley should be our offensive coordinator. While I am definitely not a Jimbo Fisher supporter, he sure wanted Coley to join him at TAM. Jimbo has complete control over that program and Coley was his first choice. Just saying . . . . Not bringing up the recruiting force that Coley is. Still fear we lose him. Would be a major mistake on Smart's part.

Never liked kicking the can down the road. I see some of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
5 years 3 months ago #79649 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic Thinking Openly . . . .

Buc wrote: Tight ends, thought play calling would move forward from the previous coaches lack of using same, did not. Chaney is all about tight ends blocking which is a given . . . . when needed, not the entire game. I would wager that Belichick will jump for joy if Nauta is available when New England selects.

Preach! Nauta had 5 catches against Florida and I was thinking they were finally going to go to him more. He did have 4 catches in the SECCG, but back to 1 catch for 3 yards against Texas. 30 catches for the season wasn't enough for him in Year 3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #79650 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Thinking Openly . . . .
Was screaming to the high heavens during the Texas game dawgs_fans_dad. Texas did the same thing to us that Clemson did to Alabama last night. Does not have to be two or three extra players in the box, takes one extra player many times to pressure the quarterback. Still not sure what happened against Texas, meaning . . . . supposedly Jake can change plays at the LOS. Tight end(s) had slants open all night, still tried to out muscle the loaded defensive LOS.

Something needs to change, feel sure that there are questions not answered to this point. We have very talented young men, will have the same next season, while wins are great, some wins are greater than others. Just ask Dabo Swinney. Kirby Smart does not need to call offensive plays. That is not to say the call should not go through the leader, but the leader is not always the best at "all coaching positions".

Been around and chatted on this board for many years, choose not to sit back as I once did concerning Mark Richt. Calls at LSU, again against Alabama, that falls squarely on the shoulders of Coach Kirby Smart. Those decisions are not made without . . . . "permission" from the leader.

I really like Kirby Smart. He loves football and the University of Georgia. I also like football and the University of Georgia. 2019 Georgia has more talent than most schools, do not want to return to the days prior to Smart and Company. Dabo did not win championships right away, he however apparently learned how to win them in his ten years at Clemson. Our last National Championship goes back too far to suit me, looking for solid coaching, coaching the immense talent that is and has been in Athens for a very long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, sadlerdawg, yankeedawg1, growl

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.036 seconds