Forum

From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday

7 years 3 months ago #75995 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
So y'all have forgotten more about UGA/SEC/College football than I know, but here are my takes.

1. I was surprised to see some of the stuff that I thought had left for Boca Raton. a) coming out flat - whether it's Nicholls State, Vandy, the Gators or GT, no excuse EVER to come out flat. b) Bad clock/timeout/game management. Exemplified today by the poor challenge and squandering of first half TOs. Also, the clueless defense on the UT Hail Mary, Those things should never happen.

2. It's hard to overstate how badly the OL challenges hurt. The first half today looked like the whole Florida game. I know there are lots of other issues, but if those first two drives go a little differently, i.e. Chubb and Michel have ANY room to operate, that game has a whole different tenor. With road pavers up front, what we saw in the second half starts much earlier and the 'dawgs paste a 6-6 team.

3. The team underachieved this season. No way around it. For whatever the talent shortcomings, they still lost games that they shouldn't have and it's hard to argue they won any that they shouldn't have except MAYBE Auburn. That is definitely on the coaching staff. As much as we would like to think that UGA shouldn't hire, or have to hire, a coach who needs OJT, they did.

Talking heads today made two in-game points that I thought were telling.

1) Kirby may be over coaching the defense. 'bama players talked about how CJP simplified things. Worked out pretty well. It's like we were overthinking the personnel on defense. Against a speed-up team, put your best team out there, substitute with when you can, but line up and play. The you don't have players running around like they are lost.

2) Chaney "doesn't like the pistol". Too bad. It worked best with your personnel. No more square pegs in round holes. Put your men in positions to succeed and watch them thrive. If it's not "your style" adapt or move on.

I was wrong about how well the team would do this year, but still feel better after the end of an 8-5 season than I did at the end of 10-3 last year. Not sure I agree that Herman was a better option. He lost to Navy, SMU, Memphis and San Diego State, the last one badly.

I'll be "read only" until play ratchets back up. I don't have much to add around recruiting and Spring and Summer workouts. I'll be paying attention though. I learn more from this board than from all the other click-seekers and talking heads combined. Thanks for this board and Happy New Year!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wartdawg, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #75996 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
Dawgs fan dad..... appreciation for your straight forward thoughts....enjoy your comments..

Understand down time .....however please toss a few words into to pile if you read or hear

Something that perks your interest.... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 3 months ago #75997 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
dawgs_fans_dad posted . . . .

1) Kirby may be over coaching the defense. 'bama players talked about how CJP simplified things. Worked out pretty well. It's like we were overthinking the personnel on defense. Against a speed-up team, put your best team out there, substitute with when you can, but line up and play. The you don't have players running around like they are lost.

Spot on. Remembering the quotes from the Alabama players referring to the way Pruitt coached the defense. When Pruitt was coaching in Athens, several of the defensive players said that he had simplified the way "he" wanted them to respond. Not to make an excuse, however with the change in coaches and teaching methods, can see where some of the players were not totally sold on the current teaching methods. Also remembering that Dominick Sanders was the vocal defensive player that said the same thing about Coach Pruitt when he took over the defense that the Alabama players said.

Also, if we believe everything that is being said about this years Alabama defense . . . . the best defense ever in Tuscaloosa, must have something to do with coaching. Player talent does not dip from year to year in Tuscaloosa as it has in Athens for many years.

If I had to choose one coach that has meant more to UGA Football than Erk, would cast my vote for Jeremy Pruitt. Like Erk, Pruitt eats and sleeps football. Nick Saban hired Pruitt for one reason . . . . to continue building the Empire. Anyone notice the team that is leading the recruiting wars for 2017? Check the talent list, impressive. Going to take a lot to play on Alabama's level year after year unless . . . . you have a "process".

Would not be surprised to see some coaching changes or "alterations" in the near future in Athens.

Glad to come away with a win against TCU.

Interesting games today. Washington I suspect will play "fast". Will be very difficult for their offensive line to protect the quarterback for long periods.

Clemson and Ohio State. Believe that Clemson will win this game. Clemson will also play "fast" at times.

Good reading folks, Happy New Year to All . . . . :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 3 months ago #75998 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
I find this site great for many reasons and one of those being we can debate opinions and keep it classy. Love the different opinion there Ogredawg. We both love uGA and want the best.

Buc, agree. One thing Nick has not been afraid to do is to always keep evolving (Kiffin, Hurts, etc.). Keep up with the times. That is why I'd love to see a "running" QB in the class of 2018. cMR never did it after DJ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, ogredawg, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 3 months ago #75999 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
DJ and other folks were not in my opinion allowed to use their many skills.

Wonder at what point Mike Bobo joins Richt in Coral Gables. CSU not excited with a lack of improvement resulting from the coaching change. Yes, there is some chatter beginning to develop.

Great point about Nick Saban, BulldogShannon . . . . one coach coming or going does not alter the way Saban's teams are allowed to change the "Saban Way".

Anyone doubt that Alabama will run the football in the first half . . . . then comes the second half when his offensive line under the training provided by Scott Cochran shows why Nick Saban did the unusual when faced with a coaching change . . . . he made damn sure Cochran stayed. Speaks well for Kirby Smart, tried hard to get his close friend to change his address. Scott Cochran will probably be the first S&C coach to be paid a million dollars annually. Just part of the "process".

The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 3 months ago #76000 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
I don't need one single person chastising me for anything I've said.

I have addressed the comparisons between Saban's first season and Smart's numerous times yet some here choise to just keep bringing it up as if nothing about the differences has ever been pointed out.

There is no comparison to the circumstances and reasons behind the results of the two.

Yes... we did wear them down in the 2nd half and that's why we went on the run and outscored them. We darn sure didn't outcoach them. We just outsized them and they wore out. Oh and yes when we moved the ball at the end of the half, we did call plays in a different sequence and used all 2oz of imagination Chaney possesses. It's just too bad that about 2-4 minutes of it is all he is capable of.

Chaney did nothing to help Eason develop or to help this offense overcome its shortcomings. Maybe once Pittman recruits a monster lline then Chaney's vanilla will work, but if we ever need to out think someone on offense, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

... and Kirby needs to grow as well. That challenge yesterday was an atrocious decision and left us with no ability to stop the clock or challenge anything else. We couldn't get lined up on defense and had multiple dead ball fouls on our offensive line... A veteran unit that should not be making those sorts of mistakes. Later on even the announcers noted that it seemed to a bit of over-coaching that was causing our players a lot of trouble.

I call it like I see it whether it hurts or not. Chaney is not good and Kirby needs to mature as a HC pretty quickly. I believe he can and will, but it most certainly is something that needs to happen.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dawgs_fans_dad

More
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds