Forum

From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday

7 years 3 months ago #75989 by ogredawg
Replied by ogredawg on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
I am shocked that someone would actually compare Smarts first season to Sabans first season at Alabama. First of all Saban was a seasoned and experienced college football head coach with a National Championship Ring on his finger. Saban had absolutely nothing when he took over at Bama. Cupboard was bare and the Tide was way down on talent and recruits. Smart was not left with nothing he has the talent now and will in the future. Saban did not have 2 1000 yard RB's, or an experienced highly rated secondary or defense. Smart did and did NOTHING with the talent, but lose to Vandy, Tech, Tn. Ol Miss And FU. Kirby did less with more than Saban did with less at Bama.

2nd Georgia is not Alabama and should not be compared to them or their head coach. Only reason Saban had the year he did was because of talent, no other reason and that situation was corrected. Kirby does not have the coaching acumen or experience to right this team as quickly as Saban did if he can at all, and from what I saw today and over the course of the season he doesn't.

Next year don't be so shocked when the record is 9-3/8-4 and only 1 or 2 of this highly touted class get any meaningful playing time, and we are playing somewhere like Charlotte, Jacksonville, or Tampa.

I will be shocked if we are playing in Atlanta or a New Years 6, but anything less than that next year will be unacceptable just like this year was unacceptable.

thecountrynation.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: dawgs_fans_dad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #75990 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
High Fives DAWGtm, you posted . . . .

A tale of two halves. Not sure of the effort the line gave in the first half maybe all the talk of the undersized d line the media feed them for three weeks. But somebody sure got their attention at halftime. Novel thing making adjustments at halftime isn't it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, DAWGtm, growl, dawgs_fans_dad

More
7 years 3 months ago #75991 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
Bulldogshannon.... glad you checked in much truth in your post...

As I posted in the bps.... we have all have heard the rah rah stuff wait until next year..

However. The verbiage is coming from other sources... make no mistake the buzz about

Our footballer program and coaching staff is different...... no crystal ball for 2017...

Just more of the process in year two.... far far better than any of the past 15 from where I am

sitting on the Eastside of the Classic City listening to the chapel bell.... Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, dawgs_fans_dad

• yankeedawg1
  • yankeedawg1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 3 months ago #75992 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
OGREDAWG: I am shocked that someone would actually compare Smarts first season to Sabans first season at Alabama. First of all Saban was a seasoned and experienced college football head coach with a National Championship Ring on his finger. Saban had absolutely nothing when he took over at Bama. Cupboard was bare and the Tide was way down on talent and recruits. Smart was not left with nothing he has the talent now and will in the future. Saban did not have 2 1000 yard RB's, or an experienced highly rated secondary or defense. Smart did and did NOTHING with the talent, but lose to Vandy, Tech, Tn. Ol Miss And FU. Kirby did less with more than Saban did with less at Bama.

2nd Georgia is not Alabama and should not be compared to them or their head coach. Only reason Saban had the year he did was because of talent, no other reason and that situation was corrected. Kirby does not have the coaching acumen or experience to right this team as quickly as S :unsure: aban did if he can at all, and from what I saw today and over the course of the season he doesn't.

You make my point. if Saban was so experienced and seasoned, he had fewer excuses than kirby. All Kirby needs is time. Bama did not have Super talent when nick took over but the point being 6-6 did not reflect who Nick waS. Talent did.

UGA had more talent? They had no OL. They had no WR'S. They had no Special teams because they had no quality 4 star depth to put on special teams. The cupboard was bare to be elite. It was average talent.

We just agree to disagree.

More
7 years 3 months ago #75993 by BulldogShannon
Replied by BulldogShannon on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
buc, good point on the depth issue. been saying that. in 2018 we will have 4 stars who can only get on the field in special teams--that will be a good thing.

in 2018 we will have an OL with big strong hombres jacking people up
in 2018 you will have a JR QB with a redshirt FR QB pushing him---depth.
in 2018 our WR's will be 6'4" 220 pounds blocking down field--making the running game even better.

patience.

i fully expect us to be in Atlanta in 2017 Ogre. UT will be breaking in a new QB. UF losing a ton on defense with no definitive answer at QB. We will be the team in the east with the QB experience with the best running game and TE play in the east.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 3 months ago #75994 by rockdawg
Replied by rockdawg on topic From Athens- Bowl Game Day Thursday
Disappointing season, but winning beats losing any day. In addition, saw a lot of effort and promise from some young players who are going to sizzle next year.

Looking back, there was a lot of friction in the moving pieces of this team this year. I don't think they ever really put it all together. Maybe that's coaching, maybe it's talent, maybe some of it was just bad luck. But when the pieces did nove in synch, there were flashes of promise.

Great teams start with great players. That's one thing that is happening. Given the flubs this year, I'm even more impressed that CKS is roping in the talent in the 2017 class. Next step is figuring out the "coaching 'em up" thing and the game management thing. Lot of things going to be happening with recruiting and preparing between now and the spring game. One thing we cannot complain about is the effort from CKS. He was a baller when he played, and he still has the fire. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

That said, losing to Vandy, Tech, UT, and UF is unacceptable. Scratching my head about Ole Miss - I'd rather try to figure out the Dawgs than the Rebels, this year.

Happy New Year to all, and thanks to the team for all their work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds