Forum

GAME DAY: UGA VS MIZZOU

7 years 7 months ago #74724 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS MIZZOU
I've pointed them out enough and the football minds around here are more than smart enough to know all of the negatives, so let me step back a moment and note the positives. These have already been metioned by others, but let's put them all in one spot:

The defense and adjustments: We were shredded in the first half, but we made adjustments (not something we did in the past) and we created 5 turnovers.

iMac: Yes there is still some inconsistency here, but where are we without this guy this season?

The composure of a freshman QB: Wow.. inconsistency here as well... some missed big plays.. some mis-reads, but he never got rattled and when the weight of all of Dawgnation was put on his shoulders he came through with some clutch throws including the winning TD. He put that pass the only place it could be. No one else on this team makes that pass, and that's for sure.

The play of our FB and TE's: Those who read what I have written over the years know how I feel about these positions. It becomes especially true with everyone selling out to stop Chubb. Our TE's still have to spend too much time helping our O-line, but when asked to make a play catching the ball; they did. Our FB also delivered big time with several clutch plays. That kid is a baller and an unsung hero on this team.

Our HC and his clock management: Let me say this: Kirby's clock management last night was brilliant. We all know in the past we would have wasted one T.O. on something stupid early in 3rd qtr, hung on to the last two until there was 1 minute left to go, and then let 30 seconds run off while we had them both in our pocket. Using them as he did though, KS got the ball in Eason's hands with over 3 minutes left to play. This eased the pressure on him mentally and with the ability to kill the clock and stop it with 1st downs, there was really hardly any clock pressure at all during that last drive. Every single person here who is intellectually honest knows we would screwed up our clock management if this same situation had occurred with the previous HC.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74725 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS MIZZOU
I think the mark Kirby is leaving on this program is beginning to already be felt by players and seen by fans: we will play with relentless effort and we're never out of it. For too many years now, if we got behind by a touchdown or even two, we could pretty much count on losing the game. We could feel a touchdown lead on us turn into two before it happened, then it happened. If we went into the locker room at the half down by a couple of scores, that usually carried through to the final score. Not any longer. Kirby's clock management and half time adjustments showed us that he really is cut from the cloth of his mentor.

Chaney called a great game and that defense is going to be legit in another season or two - as will the whole team. But we have to capitalize on turnovers. You can't play an SEC school and get four turnovers and only turn one of those into points.

It breaks my heart to see Chubb's talent squandered in his last year as a bulldog simply because his lines suck. This guy is a lock for Heisman if he has a line that can even perform at a mediocre level, and yet, one more great back will leave UGA not living up to his ability because the pieces weren't in place to let it happen.

This coming week will most likely be our first legit loss to an SEC program that is going to man handle us on the line of scrimmage. Chubb's frustrations will continue because his line will fold up like a cheap tin can against Ole Miss. Eason will be pressured even more and I expect it to get real ugly real quick. Kirby can coach em' up all he wants, but he's got to have something to coach up. I see a complete lack of talent and ability on the offensive line. I also see a non-existent kicking game that is going to kill us in these games. I simply don't see any way we leave Oxford with a W unless Ole Miss just collapses and gives it to us like they did FSU and Bama.

I'll take a one point win in a hostile road environment any day of the week. Lots of positives came out of this game, and Eason is showing us the arm we hoped he would bring to UGA. For a true freshman, his decision making is way beyond what I would have expected. I sure hope we can put the Lambert/Eason guessing game to bed now.

I'll enjoy the undefeated record while we have it.

As an aside - Louisville looks spooky good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 7 months ago #74726 by SimpleDawg
Replied by SimpleDawg on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS MIZZOU
If the O-Line doesn't start blocking opponents off the line of scrimmage and keeping them from penetrating the backfield, the season will sour very soon. If Chubb can't gain 100 yards, whoever is QB will have an enormous amount of pressure on him to excel. I hate to think of all that hard work put into his return, only to have 11 players on top of him every play. I thought the O-Line was supposed to be pretty good, and made better by Pittman, but the past two games they have been dominated. What happened?

Obviously, UNC isn't nearly as good as was expected.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74727 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic GAME DAY: UGA VS MIZZOU
Would like to add this . . . .

Some things have changed on this board . . . . We do not appear to be a "house divided" any more. There was a time when this was not so . . . . and, I have been on both sides of the fence.

Looking around the internet, UGA Football FANS seem to accept some changes being made that were totally unacceptable before. More talk about football than personalities. Real, honest to goodness football talk.

EDIT: With that being said . . . . Have to say how happy I was to see Briscoe's teammates tackle him after the fumble recovery. Had thoughts of Auburn some time back and a batting of the ball that ended up in a UGA defeat.

More
7 years 7 months ago #74728 by Buc
Interesting read if you have a few minutes . . . .

www.themaneater.com/stories/2016/9/18/co...-are-among-best-sec/

More
7 years 7 months ago #74729 by Buc
Folks you probably noticed the hand signal from Eason to our center for the snap. Might as well tell the defense the "snap count". Just things that I watch . . . . Makes it easier to avoid offside calls and, leg up on the pass rush or running play.

More
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds