Forum

GAME DAY: UNC VS UGA

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #74404 by SouthernDawg
Replied by SouthernDawg on topic GAME DAY: UNC VS UGA
So since I was tied up all day yesterday and didn't have a chance to put my thoughts down on the game, here you go. Let's start with the press conference...

The first statement Kirby gives is "we're here to change the culture." :woohoo:

Not tooting my own horn, but this is exactly what I knew from day one, and that's exactly what has been going on. The culture surrounding this program is 180 degrees different from what was here before, and I don't care what Pouty's "mailbag" says. Everything is different. Everything. And let me also ask this to you guys - how nice was it to not hear the first word's out of our coach's mouth "Well you gotta hand it to Larry Fedora and UNC, they played their tails off in a heck of a game."?? He didn't even mention UNC. Nope, this was all about UGA. I'm loving it.

Now, to the game...

Without getting too long winded, the one thing that stood out to me in this game was the clock management and the long punishing drives. This is trademark Saban. Keep pounding the ball, wear them out, bust open the hole at the right time and make them pay. Wash, rinse, repeat, touchdown. UNC was doing their best to keep the game up tempo in the first half and after the half, our coaches made adjustments and took that away from them. I'll repeat - our coaches made adjustments at the half. Real adjustments. Wow. Mo Smith was huge in this game, but the D as a whole did a very good job for a first effort under a brand new system. They had moments of brilliance. Several stops on 3rd and short, the safety was awesome, and the secondary coverage on the whole was superb. There were a couple of plays if Turbinsky was more accurate that we would have been burned on, but I'm 100% confident that those concerns will be addressed in film and practice. The line play was much, much better, but not nearly good enough. Again, a good first effort by those guys, but there's a lot of work to be done and bigger bodies are definitely needed down the road.

Lambert showed once again why he really isn't the guy for the job. He didn't screw anything up and maybe that was the objective, but he simply couldn't handle the pressure. His vision was limited to downfield targets which yielded him getting sacked. When the pocket collapsed, he was completely shut down. Low passes, poor vision, and no mobility earned Skinny his first action. The offense looked completely different with him under center. The energy level was completely different with him in there and it is clear that this guy needs to be the focus of the future. I might also add that Chaney's play calling was dynamic and kept punishing their weaknesses.

Nick? What else can be said. Amazing. I pray he stays healthy and is rewarded with the Heisman he deserves if he keeps this up. As I said during the game, we're going to be seeing a boatload more of Brian Herrien. What an amazing performance out of that young man.

It was so nice in this game to see confidence, patience, poise, coaching, play calling, and game strategy to come from behind and not throw in the towel. It's nice to know that we have a staff and a game plan which can battle from behind and give us the confidence to know that even if we're down going into the 4th, we can win the game.

Great first game. Can't wait to see the next game and see this team grow. Best dawg game I've seen in years.

We're in good hands gentlemen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #74405 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic GAME DAY: UNC VS UGA
Wartdawg, also feel that players waiting to be recruited, wanting to play for a team that does not "shy away" from opening competition means a lot for "our program". Understand that the best of the best play tune up games, also benefits the underdogs monetarily.

I remain one of those that believes there should be a "Final Eight". NFL does not want this to happen, messes with their bottom line and their control over college football. SEC/ESPN/M&M no different than the NFL, they follow the money. College football has been recognized by the owners such as the SEC Network and others as a very fertile piece of "real estate"? Sorry, getting a bit political, just think I see the total story that is yet to be written.

Back to football on the field . . . . It would be very hard for me and probably others to come down to a "Final Four". Close calls when voting sometimes raises suspicions. JMO.

Go Dawgs
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

More
7 years 6 months ago #74406 by growl
Replied by growl on topic GAME DAY: UNC VS UGA
Anybody hear a status on Isaah Wynn?

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• growl
  • growl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 6 months ago #74407 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic GAME DAY: UNC VS UGA
SouthernDawg you said it. I agree.

Team looking good. Work to do but no doubt it will be done.

First game in many years that I was not questioning our coaching.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

7 years 6 months ago #74408 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic GAME DAY: UNC VS UGA
Agree it's nice to have the season still have meaning..

Athens fish wrapper had no up date on IW. Did state

That SM will not return until Mizzou game...

Saturday will see many pups get playing time to

Improve. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg

• yankeedawg1
  • Away
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 6 months ago #74409 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic GAME DAY: UNC VS UGA
Just read an injury update from Dawg Nation