Forum

Game Week!

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #74262 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Game Week!
It's game week indeed...

You know fellas...

I worked on the pit crew of JD McDuffie and some other racers in ARCA and Busch series Nascar races.

I played tennis at a very high level, and can name regional and city championships won...

I played baseball when I was young, and I coached it for a number of years. I disappear during the summer because I turn my eyes to baseball.

My children are dominant soccer players... my oldest is a striker and has been his teams and his leagues leading scorer for the past 6 years. I follow international soccer, and I'm a huge Arsenal fan...

I saw my first Flames game back in 1972 and I was hooked on hockey. Lysiak, Dan Bouchard... I fell in love with the game and I've had season tickets to every team ever associated with Atlanta... the Flames, the Knights, the Thrashers, and now the Gladiators. My parents had a hard time finding me goalie equipment back in 1975, and I made my first
blocker from one of my dads work gloves, some plywood, and duct tape.

But gentleman.. there is another sport out there.. I played it as well until a compound fracture of my leg ended my playing days...

Gentleman... It's football season.

Football is just... different. It's more...

Nothing else can be said.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1, SouthernDawg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #74263 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Game Week!
Lysiak knew how to use his stick in the corners, those playing against him often treaded lightly around him. Curt Bennett was one of my favorites, and I too spent hours watching the Flames. Have a ticket stub from the game that Hank hit the big one. Crackers and the Magnolia Tree in centerfield. Memories. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 6 months ago #74264 by Wartdawg
Replied by Wartdawg on topic Game Week!
Buc, my grandpa played semi pro and minor-league baseball and actually got as high as being able to play a few games in a Crackers uniform.

I never got to see that but I've heard the stories.

i've got a lot of love for the game of baseball but it's never matched the passion for college football.

God Bless and Go Dawgs

Like Braves Baseball? Follow them at ourbraves.freeforums.net/ and help support my community of Braves fans.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #74265 by Buc
Wartdawg, soon after I became a Dawgs.com board member, the conversation moved along to baseball . . . . does not happen much these days, anyway . . . . Posted a photo of a baseball that I have and cherish. Signatures of all of the players and coaches that played the first game in Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. Tony Cloninger was the first to pitch, Joe Torre was behind the plate.

A lot of memories of my time in Atlanta and the surrounding area. Used to bird hunt in the area that is now Atlanta Raceway. Spent time at the Lakewood Track, round and round around the lake/pond? Dirt and clay flying everywhere, also used to get a bit "touchy" in the pits . . . . Tempers.

Lots of stories about racing . . . . back in the day. Has changed so much.

:)

georgiaracinghistory.com/2009/06/26/reme...g-lakewood-speedway/

More
7 years 6 months ago #74266 by Buc

Wartdawg wrote: Buc, my grandpa played semi pro and minor-league baseball and actually got as high as being able to play a few games in a Crackers uniform.

I never got to see that but I've heard the stories.

i've got a lot of love for the game of baseball but it's never matched the passion for college football.

Wartdawg, bet your grandpa knew and could have played with Bob Montag and Chuck Tanner. Atlanta Crackers were a very successful baseball team.

When I returned home from the Far East, played semi pro baseball for Overnite Transportation. Played against teams from Duluth, Norcross, Welcome All, Coca Cola and many others. Atlanta Rebels, another baseball team wanted me to play for them, so did so. First game with the Atlanta Rebels I pitched against the "folks" in the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary. That my friend was an "experience".

With you on college football. Hoping that Smart and Company turns out to be more than "just an experience".

Will stop, just happen to have a lot of "experiences" growing up in Georgia.

:)

More
7 years 6 months ago #74267 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic Game Week!
Wow. You guys have been around the block a couple of times.

I remember the Mill teams back in the 50's. Harmony Grove Mill in Commerce where I lived. The players rode train boxcars back an forth to games. I could watch through the cracks in the fence.

Way back.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds