Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

7 years 7 months ago #74138 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Buc, someone told me the unc football coach makes more than the bb coach. Not sure if true.

They are on the upswing, but defense is awful. Look up their rushing defense rank. You will find them pretty quick if you start at the bottom and go backwards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74139 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Scooby, have read a lot about the UNC defense, as you say that might be the weak link.

Opening games like this one, packed house, sometimes young men play at a higher skill level than normal.

Fedora will have his players ready. Fedora is a very good coach in my opinion. Another successful year for UNC and it will get increasingly hard for UGA to pull young pups from North Carolina. All of us know that there is tremendous talent in the state.

When I pull this site up, the first player is . . . .

athlonsports.com/nfl/25-greatest-linebackers-nfl-history

Of course all of us are aware of the accomplishments of this young man . . . .

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000633351/...e-rookie-of-the-year

And this young man . . . .

www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article...c9-9e14-c9df38cf690c

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74140 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Buc, I found this article interesting.

www.sbnation.com/college-football-recrui...ida-texas-california

One of my friends was hitchhiking way back in the day. Trying to get from ch back to Raleigh. He said a guy pulled over to pick him up and it was lt. Said he was a good guy.

Lt was from Virginia. Don't know if bill Dooley recruited him, but he came about the time Dooley left. Bill Dooley died last week, im sure you heard.

I noticed Virginia was pretty high on the state talent list. I think Ruffin McNeil is going to do good at uva. I like that guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buc, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 7 months ago #74141 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Couple of quick thoughts before the Puppy's Breath Porter kicks in...

Pouty? He remains relative as long as he's part of the conversation. He's shown his true colors, so I'd like to request that, going forward, we reference none of this idiot's spew. If he loves MR, I'm sure the Miami Herald is hiring.

I, too, live in Florida. I've noticed that the gators fans are subdued this year, not as mouthy. It's a nice change, but like OPs here have noted, we should take NOBODY for granted. This was a stinger for us many times in the past. We lost to teams we should have beaten simply because coaching allowed a high opinion to trump high play. Not sure CKS will allow this, and I certainly hope not. I hope we play 60 minutes every game. I've said before that I hope we run up scores a little more. Not for the point of humiliation, but to show that we play a full game and that our opponents should expect that.

Maurice Smith? I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to light that this saga has been playing out for some time longer than it appears on the surface ;) I can't help but feel he'll do well here.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #74142 by Buc
LimeyDawg don't know if you watched the video posted in this thread, Kirby's press conference. Mentioned that around the 5 minute mark Kirby looked directly at the beat reporter, looked like eyes of "steel" to me. Cannot be 100% sure, but have become accustomed to "certain voices". Believe the "eyes of steel" were pointed at Pouty and his usual "stuff". Just a guess, but I believe it to be a good one.

Another point . . . .

Posted on Dawgs.com was Kirby Smart's entire press conference. Readers that are not on campus and privy to much of what reporters get to see and hear at Butts-Mehre, "wrappers" take advantage of that. Called "clicks". They split the conference report up into areas, therefore getting many "clicks" from different presentations of what a 15 minute conference had to offer.

On occasion I reflect back to what I call "Journalists" in the truest form, men like Bisher and Outlar. These two along with others of their time had to bring a story from their "gut". Bisher leaned a bit to Georgia Tech while Jesse Outlar was a Georgia man. Both were men who knew how to relate.

Once upon a time the AJC did a really outstanding job. Today in many areas of the "wrapper" it is twisted to the opinions of a few. My opinion.

Insert the below for those that really don't know much about the past.

www.legacy.com/memorial-sites/university...outlar&pid=150263000

EDIT: Copied this from the above.

April 22, 2011 "I was a kid sportswriter at the Atlanta Journal back in the early 1960s. I was as green as they come. Jesse Outlar was always kind and quick with an encouraging word. I read Jesse religiously as well as Furman Bisher. They made me realize that sports writing could be something other than formula stuff. I learned from them all I could by reading them, the late Paul Hemphill and Ralph McGill. That is how good the Atlanta papers were back then. Jesse was at the head of the class. He was also a class act outside the office. I am very sad to learn of Jesse's passing. His kind comes along but once." - Fred Brown (Knoxville, TN)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

More
7 years 7 months ago #74143 by Buc
And this . . . . I hope that many of you will read many of the comments in the provided site above. I lift one more . . . .

April 14, 2011

We will miss you Mr. Outlar. Please tell Lewis Grizzard we have missed him for 20 years! Be good angels!

Katrina Hudson, John's Creek, GA

More
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds