Forum

From Athens- Friday Thoughts

7 years 11 months ago #73724 by growl
Replied by growl on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
I hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend, pay homage to those who gave it all for us to be free along with their supporting families who still miss them.

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, Buc, yankeedawg1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #73725 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Seems the more I look at videos, read articles, taking notes from what the players being recruited have to say, understanding more about the “newer generation(s)”.

I believe that a major step forward was made in hiring Kirby Smart. Believe the next step was Kirby hiring the coaches that fit what he wants to do in Athens.

Read a lot in the media about UGA fans want championships, want more than x number of wins each season. UGA did have 10 wins many years, but where has that taken the “overall” fan support for the program?

When I look close enough, can see why UGA won 10 games some seasons. My disappointment is and was that we did not end up in what many consider the major bowls. I appreciate that the lesser bowls get support from those with the fortunes to back same, good for the overall college game.

My problem with UGA has been we have always had “talent”. enough talent to win 10 or more games most years.

The reason that Georgia high school football players leave the State of Georgia is actually easy to point out.

Until UGA can find its way to a major bowl or in the Final Four, the bleeding will not stop. Kirby and Company understand that, they talk openly about that subject. What this group of coaches has done is put themselves out on a limb. They will not be able to retrace their steps and make excuses. Don’t expect them to. Different breed of college football coaches.

When UGA finds itself in the Final Four or going to a major bowl regularly, UGA will have taken another step forward. Young men in the State of Georgia and elsewhere will do the same thing for UGA that Alabama, Ohio State has been able to do, and that is recruit to play for a “top college football team”.

I see many improvements in the short time that the new coaches have been in Athens. My opinion, they are like the relief pitcher in the bullpen, warming up, knowing that the game can change.

I look forward to following UGA closer than ever before, and that is saying a lot. Allow me this . . . . Smart and Company are looking at UGA closer than any group of coaches that have been in Athens, maybe ever. Again, my opinion and I go back several years.

Go Dawgs :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
7 years 11 months ago #73726 by stevedawg
Replied by stevedawg on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
Me too Buc.

For winning the Natty give every Dawg a bone AND prime rib steak.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #73727 by Buc
A portion of the conversation between Jeff Sentell and Elijah Holyfield.

When the incoming recruits say this, it is more than lip service.

Believe most on this board have picked up on what the coaching change means to us and . . . . the recruits.

Elijah is not coming to Athens saying play me. Holyfield said he will work for what he gets, thank you.

I love the new staff. Honestly. I think I like it a little bit more than the staff that was with Coach Richt. I mean I love coach Richt and all due respect goes out to that great man and then coach Thomas Brown and all that. But I would say the new Georgia staff is a complete staff. The defensive guys as well. It is just a different feel. Coach Smart is such an up-tempo guy. At first, I didn’t know how much I’d like him. His coaching style is so in your face and I didn’t really know how I felt about that at first. But he’s always in your face in a positive way. He’s never putting you down and leaving you there. He’s building you up and all he is trying to do is help you improve. I love coach Jim Chaney. He’s a funny dude. I like coach Sam Pittman and coach (Dell) McGee a whole lot, too. It is just a good feel. Even the defensive coaches are fun to be around, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevedawg, yankeedawg1

More
7 years 11 months ago #73728 by growl
Replied by growl on topic From Athens- Friday Thoughts
You have my vote on this coaching staff and its positive feel.

Go Dawgs

The sun shines on a different Dawg every day

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #73729 by Buc
Growl, you were one of the first to vote for Smart and Company. Many on this board are way the heck ahead of other sites that I monitor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1, growl

More
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds