Forum

Relationships

16 years 7 months ago #7140 by dapolla
Replied by dapolla on topic Re:Relationships
miss_uga wrote:

You guys are too funny!

Here's a fairly easy one. How many UGA jerseys were retired in the 20th century? Bonus: Whose were they? (Remember, as Dapolla said, if you are a true Dawgs, you won't have to look this up!!!) =o)

BTW, wlayton, I didn't see it as rude. I think I know you a little better than that by now! =o)

Four, and only four. Theron Sapp, Charlie Trippi, Frankie Sinkwich, and Herschel Walker. And they are the ONLY four numbers that will EVER be retired. That's why the Circle of Honro was created.

What I love is that, although Theron Sapp was a very good fullback, his number was retired because he recovered a fumble for a touchdown to beat Tech 7-0 in 1957 and ended \"The Drought.\" That is the reason why his number was retired. BEAUTIFUL!

Who has the longest touchdown reception in Georgia history, who threw it, and against what team? Bonus points for the year in which it occurred. Even more bonus points for the TD reception that had the record BEFORE it.

Red and Black, Win or Lose

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #7141 by dapolla
miss_uga wrote:

You're welcome. And the awesome block came from Nat Hudson!

And you are CORRECT!!!! There were 4 and you got them all right!

Now, what bitter controversy surrounded the 1927 match-up between UGA/GT??

I'm sure you all know that one!

Easy-peasy. Tech watered down the field and then practiced on it. They were ready for a wet field, while Georgia went in and floundered around in the mud. Tech beat us 12-0, our ONLY loss of the season, which prevented us from getting a consensus national championship.

Trivia question: which two polls gave us the national championship that year?

More
16 years 7 months ago #7142 by dapolla
Dawg-gone it, I've been gone all morning at a breakfast meeting/networking event. I promise you I answered those questions before seeing miss_UGA's replies to her own questions, or to the (correct) answer regarding the jersey numbers. My trivia questions from above still stand as a challenge to Lady UGA, however.

More
16 years 7 months ago #7145 by miss_uga
Replied by miss_uga on topic Re:Relationships
Well, I'll believe that you didn't look at the answer first, so you win the prize!

As for your question (the first one...) I could be WAY off, so I trust you will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a 3 way tie:
Greene-Browning 93 yds in 2003 vs Louisiana State
Belue-Scott 93 yds in 1980 vs FL
Not sure about the third, but it was in 1989, I think.
The record before that was in 1965--Moore to Wheeler?? Not real sure if that's right or who they were playing. Sorry....=o(

I thought there might have been a 99 yarder by Greene, but I may have been dreaming.

And to answer the second...1st-N-Goal and James Howell (two polls)

That was a question given the same day I had the question on the \"wet field incident\". I got it wrong then, but now I'm sure I have it right.

• miss_uga
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #7146 by miss_uga
Replied by miss_uga on topic Re:Relationships
And dapolla, this one will be SUPER easy for you!
Who were the ORIGINAL Junkyard Dogs? (season)

• miss_uga
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #7162 by dapolla
Actually, miss_uga, all I asked for was Greene-Browning, that it was in 2003 against LSU, and that the previous record-holder was Belue-Scott against Florida in 1980. So you did a great job, above and beyond.

On the second question, you are incorrect. The two polls that gave Georgia the 1927 National Championship were the Boand and Poling polls.

In response to your question, I believe the 1975 team was the original Junkyard Dawgs, immortalized by James Brown's \"Dooley's Junkyard Dawgs,\" recorded that year and performed at halftime at Homecoming.

Here's one for you: while Pop Warner was head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs football team, what other team did he coach? That's right, he coached us and one other team simultaneously. Who was it?

More
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds