Forum

FINALLY . . . .

10 years 3 weeks ago #59750 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic FINALLY . . . .
Good post wlayton. Was going to post the video below in the Football Recruiting Section of our board, but after reading your post, will throw this into the mix.

All I have heard, and as much film as I have watched on Jeremy Pruitt at both Alabama and FSU, watching this young player is what our new Defensive Coordinator is all about.

Pruitt is after Roquan Smith big time. The recruiting of this young man will show us just how much of a force Pruitt is with "in-state players". Alabama, FSU, Auburn, Florida and many others have a seat reserved for Roquan Smith.

Have said numerous times on this board that I am more of the 4/3 type alignment. Very good points you make about size, strength and quickness. All of us know that Alabama has that "every year". Maybe with Pruit and coaches like Pruitt we move up the ladder another step. FSU did.

Say again, Roquan Smith is a Jeremy Pruitt "type of player" . . . . Great hands, fearless on contact, would love to see Roquan in Red and Black and play solely on the defensive side of the ball. NFL bound under Pruitt. This is the type of player that understands "interceptions". Eyes always on the ball. We could certainly use more interceptions in Athens. This is how we accomplish that phase of our game.

Roquan Smith is a bad dude. :)

www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1519436/#highlights/85827376
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #59751 by Buc

yankeedawg1 wrote: Remember the Bismark. One of a kind, That ACC defense beat a SEC offense for the NC

Using this type of lineup requires quality depth which I see us working toward

Size hasn't worked for us in the recent past. Vote giving skills and speed a opportunity

IMO RD playing at 275 and cat quick may cause problems for a bigger OL

Go Dawgs

yd1, I am on board with your post. Get a chance look at the video on Roquan Smith that was posted. I know it is high school football, but all players start somewhere. This young man no doubt in my mind is at the top of Pruitt's list. Would be a great 2015 get.

Edit: Totally on board with the "depth" that you mention. Believe that has been a downfall from a coaching standpoint in Athens for far too long yd1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
10 years 3 weeks ago #59752 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic FINALLY . . . .
Subject. depth we saw what depth at RB was like last year prior to both TG and KM getting

Hurt. We had a good rotation when both were healthy. Look for that again this year

We will have quality depth at several skill positions. Sure paid off for AM having

More that one receiver to go to. Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #59753 by wlayton
Replied by wlayton on topic FINALLY . . . .
Imo, that is what separates the SEC from all other conferences....SEC offensive linemen are big, nasty, quick and can move. I like quick and agile on D as well etc but OL's in the SEC are a different animal more than any other conference.

Yes, FSU beat AU (had to come back to do it) but they didn't face a whole season of SEC OL's and had to absorb the poundings.

Just caught my attention is all I'm saying and concerns me a little.....I'm sure Pruitt knows what he's doing, at least I hope he does. When he was at BAMA, he was the DB coach, not DL coach. :unsure:

PVBDAWG

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #59754 by dawgs_fans_dad
Replied by dawgs_fans_dad on topic FINALLY . . . .

Buc wrote: Someone in the media took the time and called out not in my opinion, the players, whether he meant to or not, he called out Mark Richt.

Don't give a spit about who coaches what, Mark Richt has allowed this type of foolishness to go on for far too long.

Have had the feeling that Pruitt is trying to be careful with his tongue, but this article by Mark Schlabach lays it out.

Jeremy Pruitt comes to us from two coaches that did not allow what Mark Richt has allowed since he has been in Athens. This is the reason that we have come close, but no cigar.

I know that many don't like to hear this kind of talk, but read the article if you have not already. Be interesting to see what your opinion is and where the lack of "results" lies.

Again, just an old fart with an opinion as to why "We Make Excuses". I said that.

Erk, Munson and Grizzard are loving this. They would call this UGA Football, and understand what the meaning "Finish the Drill" means. Words are cheap, coaching is required, Mark Richt. Pruitt is saving your ass. Said that also.

espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/81228/pru...-uga-defense-on-move

Great article. 90% reduction in "loafs" in one practice. Kids WANT to be coached, WANT structure and, mostly, WANT discipline.

I bet if it's 4th and long for the other team at the end of the game, someone will think to tell the players to KNOCK THE BALL DOWN.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #59755 by Buc
Good "stuff" guys. :)

yd1, it is a good thing that we had depth, especially last season at both running back and wide receiver. Wish that we had the same amount of depth on the offensive line. I know, again I harp about the offensive line, but as wlayton mentions, there are several teams in the SEC that have big, nasty and quick offensive linemen. My concern is when is the last time that we could say that about our offensive line. Not being ugly, just trying to reflect here what I have seen and build some of my opinions on.

wlayton going back to the SECCG, I believe that we had big defensive linemen, and if I am permitted, out of shape, and grantham was "stuck in gear" with the 3/4. He had variations, but what happened from my view point was big, nasty (won't say quick) linemen that got it handed to them by as you suggest big, ugly, quick offensive linemen that were in Nick Saban shape. I also blame that, if there is blame on a lack of coaching from the UGA staff.

We are going to get a real good look at the different methods of defensive coaching in 2014 as compared to 2013 and before. That will begin with Clemson in Athens.

I carry this thought until the first game. Watching the depth transform what I call coaching mistakes or lack of understanding from those that don't wear the pads.

One thing for sure. Between Spring and Fall, the defensive players understand what is expected and how they can improve their chances of being on the field against Clemson. While I hope that things will prove to be calm between the Spring and Fall, I have to remind myself that this is Georgia and we seem to make the same mistakes over and over.

I support discipline, and discipline apparently has been a word that does not register in Athens. Break out the damn dictionary and place it in study hall. Pruitt ain't in Athens to put up with BS. I believe that, suspect that most of the players under his guidance do also after spending time on the field with him and his group of coaches.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds