Forum

Spring practice

10 years 1 month ago #59655 by averagedawg
Replied by averagedawg on topic Spring practice
While Nick Saban will tell you Petrino is an offensive genius, defense or even understanding it was never his strong suit.
How else the Grantham hire?
Richt doesn't really get the defensive thing either but was lucky, I think, in the Pruitt hire.
I will take a defensive minded head coach over an offensive minded head coach any day.
In the long run a defensive mind will figure any offense out and how to defend it.

Off on a tangent, but these hurry up offenses have worked so well because the play is so fast, even the officials don't have time to line up and catch the obvious penalties.
If players can be paid and with College Football a multibillion dollar business, hire more officials and make sure they are the best available. More people enjoy college football than pro football but the officiating sucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, Buc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #59657 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Spring practice
Enjoyed reading about Greg Pyke working out with the first unit. Have been clear from the git go that I am a big believer in Brandon Kublanow, this is encouraging. If for no other reason than to get the players attention. If Pyke is better, he should play. Not only Pruitt shuffling the deck since his arrival, seems other coaches like his system.

Also read where Richt was "barking" in the Thursday practice. Where the hell was Jeremy Pruitt several defensive coordinators back . . . . I know the answer to that. Players showing Pruitt respect, good, honest coaching tends to do that. This is the kind of leadership that has been missing since Erk left for Statesboro. IMHO.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, averagedawg, growl

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #59660 by Buc
Guys, could not resist doing this.

Chip "Pouty" Towers in this particular article. Got his backside handed to him and he still does not understand. Still bringing up the past, the way "things" used to be. "Pouty" is a shining example of why the AJC is what it is. Much like the University of Georgia, changes need to be made. Georgia did on the defensive side, AJC, well . . . .

Don't know about you guys, have not missed "Pouty" for a minute. If anything, other beat writers have picked up the "pace". Getting more and betting insight into what is "really" going on in Athens. "Pouty" is making a serious mistake if he thinks he is someone that can and will make UGA cower to his wishes.

I commend Mark Richt for opening up Spring Practice so all could see and explore. Mark Richt just "stuck" it to "Pouty" big time. Mark Richt just proved a point . . . . the AJC does not run the program in Athens. Good on you Mark Richt.

Highlighting in bold what "Pouty" had to say about the open practice. There are losers and there are . . . . losers. Pouty would do well to lick his wounds and move on. Reminds me a great deal of our departed NFL DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. Pouty is making a serious beat reporter mistake. They come and they go. Just saying . . . . again. ;)

Quoted from the Atlanta Journal Constitution "ATHENS – Got a rare treat this afternoon as Georgia coach Mark Richt allowed reporters to watch the entire football practice. As far as I can remember, and I haven’t covered the team every year Richt has been here since 2001, but it’s the first time I recall him permitting that.

That used to be standard operating procedure in past days. I recall covering some Vince Dooley and Ray Goff practices in the late ’80s where you’re literally standing a few feet behind the ongoing drills. I’d be out there so long I’d bring sunflower seeds to help pass the time. Goff and some of his assistants would bum them occasionally.

That’s what it was like today. It was a beautiful, sunny day, it was a full-pads practice and the Bulldogs did not disappoint. They were absolutely getting after it on the field. The annual UGA coaches clinic was going on, so all the high school coaches, the players and us scribes all huddled around as a fast-paced, three-on-three competition was conducted in the middle of one of the practice fields. To summarize the practice succinctly, there was a whole lot of yelling and a whole lot hitting going on.
"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlayton, averagedawg, yankeedawg1, growl

More
10 years 1 month ago #59689 by Buc
Read just about all I can find about our first "real scrimmage". Greg Pyke moving forward, like that a lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
10 years 1 month ago #59690 by yankeedawg1
Replied by yankeedawg1 on topic Spring practice
Best news no injuries Not a lot of hyper coach and player speak

No reports of arm or towel waving-a very good thing. UnderThe Radar. JJ. did not look

Lost of defense. Made several good plays. Sounds like all the receivers had trouble

Catching the ball. Weather was just like our bowl game wet and wetter

Go Dawgs

Go Dawgs!

More
10 years 1 month ago #59691 by Buc
yd1, one thing that we do know. We have receivers than can and will catch the football.

Offensive line gives Hutson enough time to set up, the passing game will be able to compete in the SEC.

Moving away from football for a short time . . . . Kentucky and Michigan, heck of a B-ball game.

Florida and Kentucky in contention. Guess we are more than just a "football conference".

Have gathered up some more "stuff" on grantham. Louisville has bought into the whatever it is that petrino and grantham say they are bringing to college football.

When I mention the above about petrino and grantham, here is hoping that "certain coaches" on the Athens campus do more than they have in the past.

Being "excited" is one thing . . . . that says to me that it is high time to get past "excited" and coach'em up. Sorry guys, still having a problem with all of the talent over the years in Athens and the "results" that I have seen.

If anyone thinks that the paragraph above is in bad taste . . . . Silence should not be what anyone thinks. Just say or don't say, "I am on board with whatever the current leaders bring to the table".

I do believe that Richt has had a change in his coaching position. I say that because I read and listen to everything he has said, especially in the past 5 years. Mark Rich needed a "kick in the ass". I said that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yankeedawg1

More
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds