Forum

Another Smart Decision . . . . Jim Chaney

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #73973 by Buc
If you have not read the article below, it is a very good read. Especially when the players express their views, and they do.

Couple of comments from the players . . . .

“When you commit to the University of Alabama, you know what you’re expected to do,” Alabama TE O.J Howard said. “We know what it takes.”

“I know a lot of other guys from other teams, and I just feel like we work so much harder than them,” Alabama DE Jonathan Allen said. “We have workouts and rehabs – the process never stops. We put so much time into the process, which is probably why we’ve been able to keep sustained success for so long.”

Kirby Smart was a part of the "process" . . . . he sometimes uses the word "process" when talking about UGA Football. Huge change for the FANS wrapped up in the Red and Black. Smart and Company understand the "process".

www.seccountry.com/alabama/unseating-ala...tch-the-crimson-tide

EDIT:

After reading the article above . . . . Is there anyone that believes we (UGA) have been mentally tough?

See where the Black Jersey issue has been raised again. I have been against "gimmicks" to get the "upper hand" on our opponent.

With Smart and Company, I will gladly say . . . . go for it. Red and Black are beautiful colors in my world. Have been for many years.

Always comes down to "preparation" and Kirby Smart understands "preparation". Spent several years studying under a coach that I believe to be the best ever.

Erk had some of the same qualities, sad thing, he had to move to Statesboro, Georgia and start a program from scratch, and the "process" worked for him and the players. After Erk left, what happened to our program? VD was still in charge as Athletic Director when we (UGA) went through a lot of "messy situations".

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Buc
  • Buc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 8 months ago #73974 by scooby
Replied by scooby on topic Another Smart Decision . . . . Jim Chaney
I haven't heard anyone say "calf rope" in a while. My pop used to say that. :)

Keep hearing the word "depth". That is just another way to say recruit more 4 star players. Recruiting is the key in the college football biz.

Two years ago the cry on dawgs.com was mr is a da coach who has the talent to win championships but can't get it done. Now the talk is the da didn't give a crap about recruiting linemen. So I really wonder if mr didnt win championships due to poor coaching, or because he didn't recruit good linemen.

I did not understand how big a deal the ipf was when I first read about it. Now I'm wondering if that is why uga has a shortage of depth (4 star guys) on the lines. Maybe them elite big guys only want to go where the practice is in the ac.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #73975 by Buc
Interesting read Scooby.

I can safely say that Alabama chose to go big soon after Nick Saban landed in Tuscaloosa.

Same can be said for Arkansas. Bielema brought his coaching methods from Wisconsin to Arkansas. It has definitely improved the Razorbacks fortunes.

No doubt that Bielema was and is pissed about Coach Sam Pittman leaving. Happens that way on occasion Bret.

My thoughts move in this direction concerning Bret Bielema . . . . He did not like urban meyer's way of recruiting when he "solved his medical problems" and took over as head coach at Ohio State. Too bad, sir.

Now he has problems with Kirby Smart hiring Sam Pittman. In my way of thinking, if Sam Pittman wanted to remain in Arkansas, he would be there now. I can absolutely appreciate the players that Pittman coached along the offensive front wanting him to stay. Takes me to this . . . . had to be a "reason" to choose Kirby Smart over Bret Bielema. Sometimes football players are not on the same page with each other, same case can be made when discussing football coaches.

What do I like about Kirby Smart? First off he is about UGA Football. Secondly, Bret Bielema can stick his lips out as far as they will reach . . . . Smart could care less. Neither do I. Tired of "apologies" such as the one that Mark Richt gave to urban meyer. Where did that get Mark Richt? urban meyer shoved it up Richts backside. FACT. The next time UGA and the gators faced off. Those days in Athens are gone, we finally can say to one and all . . . . this is who we are.

Go Dawgs, Go Far, Change is Good . . . . :)

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 8 months ago #73977 by Buc
Real hard to remember when or if we had so many players wanting to take a "serious look" at Georgia.

With the change in the coaching staff, brings this thought to my mind . . . . There are x number of scholarships available every year. Sometimes that gets a bit "twisted" simply because the FANS and the media are not sure of the "x" number. That is highly "classified". Will not see that on the chalkboard. FACT.

Comes down to who wants to wear the Red and Black. There will always be some of the "gray shirt" chatter, but while a year sounds like a lot of time to commit or not, time passes quickly.

Smart and Company know who they want, and it could be more than one or two for the same position. Separation between the (stars) not that much difference. Very easy for me and others to point out those that were "sure bets", just never turned out that way.

Not going to call names, but there are a couple of players on our team that have forgotten the principal college football rule . . . . Pruitt laid it out "clearly" . . . . practice like you are going to play. Same rule for Kirby Smart. He has mentioned a couple of players that need to step up or . . . . I believe that. I watched talented players sit under Pruitt that should have been on the field.

Leonard Floyd went in the top ten. He was graded a year earlier, qualified to leave, stayed home. One player that has my attention "big time" this season had better learn how to stop the run, lots of players can rush the passer. This is college football, night and day when they move to the NFL, or if they do . . . JMHO.

This is not Georgia Football that was played in the past 15 years. Stakes now are much higher. Coaches want to keep their jobs (lots of money). Players want to move on to the "big bucks", that requires competing with many players in college football, many of those players have great competition on their teams. I said that.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
7 years 7 months ago #74023 by LimeyDawg
Replied by LimeyDawg on topic Another Smart Decision . . . . Jim Chaney

Buc wrote: Real hard to remember when or if we had so many players wanting to take a "serious look" at Georgia.

With the change in the coaching staff, brings this thought to my mind . . . . There are x number of scholarships available every year. Sometimes that gets a bit "twisted" simply because the FANS and the media are not sure of the "x" number. That is highly "classified". Will not see that on the chalkboard. FACT.

Comes down to who wants to wear the Red and Black. There will always be some of the "gray shirt" chatter, but while a year sounds like a lot of time to commit or not, time passes quickly.

I'm old-ish, but I honestly can't remember the last time we had this much talent wanting to come and play in Athens. I know a portion of this is related to the hype that surrounds CKS and the team he's put together. It's understandable. The thing, now, is that the rubber and the road have to meet. CKS's team can recruit; it now remains to be seen if they can coach. I'm betting they can. I think we'll see some things this year that we've been yearning for all those years under MR. I'm of the mind that, if you think we've done a good job recruiting before the first snap of the CKS era, wait until we start winning games. What I see CKS bringing to Athens is the very thing missing with MR. I don't think CKS will play patsy football. I'll bet we run the score up a few times. I see a program coming where the foot never leaves the gas. Kids need to come ready to play. I'm getting jacked about the prospect of having Nick Chubb back (and Sony), but I want to see what the new kids have got.

"The freedom of individuals to verbally to oppose or to challenge police actions without thereby risking arrest is one of the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."

More
7 years 7 months ago #74024 by Buc
LimeyDawg, hard not to be in a believing mood.

With you on this statement . . . .

I'm of the mind that, if you think we've done a good job recruiting before the first snap of the CKS era, wait until we start winning games.

Kirby is himself now. Understands what you said above. Maybe should not say it but will . . . . the Saban Way. Win "Big Games" the recruits line up.

Smart not only has the attention of those above him, also getting the attention of the media. Going to be his way, not a "political pawn".

If we end up in the "top five" in the 2017 Recruiting Wars, with the talent on campus now, all things lay at the feet of Kirby Smart. Just the way he wants it, maybe should say, will demand it.

Smart hire was just that . . . . a very "smart hire". Going to enjoy our head coach running up and down the sidelines when plays are being made. Remember too well some posters saying that MR was not that type of coach. Can/will say this much . . . . living in Florida, keeping an eye on Miami, chatting with some folks . . . . MR is doing things a lot different in Miami than he did in Athens.

Good read LimeyDawg . . . . have really enjoyed the "Tanner Crab Legs" that Publix has on occasion.

• Buc
  • Junk Yard Dawg
More
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds